Warcraft RPG 5th Edition...

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.

Re: Warcraft RPG 5th Edition...

Postby Arrius Nideal » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Version 2.2 is almost ready to be rolled out!
I'm itching to make a new class, though. We've covered almost everything (my eye is on an Alchemist class that can make stronger potions, so apothecary becomes an archetype), but am open for suggestions.
However, I realize the conversion doesn't have a lot in the magical items department (most work is focused on spells, alchemy, and engineering), and the Monster section is still incomplete when it comes to converted monsters (some are in reference outdated rules).

What should we focus on next?
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby Arrius Nideal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:16 pm

Update: 2.2 released (March 21, 2017): Improved class mana-restoration abilities, aura overhaul, added 10+ alchemical items, 3+ gadgets, flashbang grenades, +6 relics, mana shield no longer requires concentration, updated auras (all), new magical items (several relics and a dozen new weapons, including the arcanite reaper!), infused ammunition (fire arrows, black bullets, and arcane axes!), added Warlock and Shaman spell lists, armor sets (!) and several warlock spells added.

The armor sets so far include the Defias Leather, Cenarion Raiment, Judgment Armor, and Plagueheart Raiment.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby Hibigimo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 pm

So I made an account just to comment. I have loved Warcraft since I was 5 years old, and am relatively new with DnD (about 2 years), and finding this topic has been just such a beautiful combining of worlds. I would absolutely love to offer any kind of help I can offer. I don't know how badly you all are hurting for help, but I have used naturalcrit before for my own homebrews so maybe i could just be another set of hands transferring the document from google drive to the official pages. Either way, keep up the great work!
Hibigimo
Kobold

Postby Arrius Nideal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:50 pm

Update: We've hit over 6,200 views on the core document!

/celebration

The next update will be soon. It's a rather conservative update, mostly fixing existing systems and clarifications. The main gaps between Warcraft and 5e have been filled already. What's left are magic items, monsters, and perhaps a few spells.

@Hibigimo:
We'd love to have your help. Here is the Naturalcrit document, and it's taking some time to polish and continue the work.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby Hibigimo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:19 pm

@ArriusNideal
Awesome! I'm fine with being a type junkie. The link you posted is the read only one, not the edit one. I guess I am asking what help you are looking for with me? Thanks for the reply!
Hibigimo
Kobold

Postby Arrius Nideal » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:26 pm

Well, there are several ways to help:

There's playtesting the rules and coming back with feedback. Making three characters and running them through a series of encounter or a dungeon (maybe even the Deadmines we made) and coming back with observations about how powerful spells/class features/items act in-game is very useful for balance reasons.
There's suggesting or coming up with new items (including magic and mundane equipment), classes, archetypes, races, monsters (or characters), or spells you'd like to see in the game. The general idea and some signature features work great. For example: Aetish the Greatstaff has the spells Plane Shift and Teleport, and is a +3 magic weapon of artifact quality.
There's designing a short adventure or short module (surviving a goblin gladiator arena, a dwarven expedition into Northrend to find Titan relics, or venturing into Outland to find traces of elder demons), which we could make into a module.
Finally, there is helping move the document from word form on Googledocs into a more professional PDF format. If you know how to use NaturalCrit's homebrew code, send me a PM with your email so we can share the code with you.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby phew » Thu May 11, 2017 10:20 am

Hey, I've been playing with you edition for a while now, we had like 4 rounds now. So far the Pack is pretty good. Im kind of a beginner with DND and Mastering, so here out of an perspective of a noob:
Class Creation is pretty straight foreward. Only thing we had problems with are the Casterclasses and how they scale.
First thing I Noticed is that there are no cantrips for all races, I chose the standard Mage and Druid Spells… but I think it would be way more cooler to have WOW spells at that place, even if they are just rebranded.
Speaking of casting, for my new players that never played dnd before it was pretty confusing how they leveld up in casting. The fact that you have 3 Layers of level for Casting (Player Level, Caster Level and Spell level) makes it really complicate to see when (for example the hunter) gets new spells. I think you Put in Caster Level for Multiclas features, but wouldn’t it be possible to set caster Level and Spell Level equal? Perhaps im missing something…
A Little sidenote. Manashield from the mage seems to be pretty OP (or I red it wrong) it gives you 2 HP per Mana, Our mage has 19 mana at lvl 1… it seems a broken to have a mage with +38 life
We have following classes in our round: -Mage –Monk –Hunter –Warrior –Druid –Rogue
We Have another session on Friday, Ill ask them about the system and their classes and ill give you feedback after that.
phew
Kobold

Postby biapolis » Thu May 11, 2017 11:49 pm

Salutations. So, apologies for not having been around lately. Been really busy with work, next to no time. But things have been slowing down recently, and my IRL group has decided it is going to run a game using this system. Presuming nothing changes, I'll post post some session reports if my group is cool with it/you guys would be interested.

Anyways, while doing some prep work to figure out what to make, I noticed these points.
1] Death Knights have shields. I can't believe I didn't notice this when I went through earlier, lol. I understand it is to help with balance and all, but still kinda weird.

2] Monks brewing is ... complicated. Specifically, the costs. So, you reduce your max by the cost, so you can't make a ton and then rest to regain all the Ki, rinse and repeat for profit. Makes since. It says you regain 1invested Ki for resting 3 days or drinking the brew. What happens if the brew costs more than 1 Ki? Do you need to rest 3 more days per extra Ki? Or is this an oversight? Also, it says you regain the burned Ki. Does that mean you just regain the cap without regaining the actual point, or you regain both? For an example, a level 2 monk makes a fortifying brew, bringing it from 2/2 to 1/1 Ki. It then drinks it. Is it at 2/2 or 1/2 Ki?

Edit:
3]For Lay on Hands/Corrupting Touch, do you have to use up the whole pool of healing in one heal, or can you create the pool, and hold onto it for a while?

4] the wording on Corrupting Touch seems to indicate that DKs are healed as if undead. Is this intended, I didn't see anything else to indicate as much, but the fact that you can use it on yourself as a bonus action would indicate as much.

5] Brewmaster Monk's level 3 brews lack a Ki cost.
biapolis
Goblin

Postby Arrius Nideal » Fri May 12, 2017 6:12 pm

@Phew: Welcome to the party!
Regarding your concerns:
1. Cantrips: I'm not sure what you mean by cantrips for all races. Do you mean we convert more spells into the 5e project from WoW? If so, we're really open to ideas. Suggest a spell we didn't address yet (or a core spell that is on the weak side), and we're sure to add it to the next version!
2. Levels: Ah, yes. Terminology has always been an annoyance in D&D generally. We did indeed add the caster level mechanic (or spelled it out, to be more precise) for purposes of multiclassing and showing more of the mechanics under the hood. So far, this is how it ran beforehand, but I'm sure we can come up with a different term or at least a clarification regarding caster levels and how to differentiate them from spell levels.
3. Mana Shield: I can see the concern. So far, Mana Shield can only half the damage taken from any source, and has a 10 gp/casting cost. If that is still overpowered, we'll address it accordingly (perhaps by making the damage/mana point exchange 1:1)
At any case, any additional comments are very welcome!

@Biapolis: Hey there!
1. Death Knights: It's true that it's not what comes to mind after seeing death knights, but most 2nd-gen Death Knights (Warcraft III Scourge heroes) were former paladins. It makes sense, hence, to retain the proficiency if this Death Knight represents that era. True, WotLK death knights cannot use shields, but it's likely that they just don't like doing so. :D
2 and 5. Brewing: Thank you for bringing this up. Brewing will undergo some revision to clarify and re-balance. Once the new version rolls out, I'll provide an update regarding how your question is addressed.
3. Lay on Hands/Corrupting Touch: It's used wholly on one heal (as in WoW).
4. Healing Death Knights: Another good catch. By default, Death Knights are not actually undead. This will also be addressed in the next version, with the choice of becoming undead being at level 1.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby biapolis » Fri May 12, 2017 7:40 pm

I see what you mean about my first point. Just something I noticed and figured I'd bring up. And fair enough on the Lay on Hands/Corrupting Touch. I got used to its base 5e version, so I wasn't sure if I was reading it wrong or you changed it [it reads as a one use btw].
biapolis
Goblin

Postby biapolis » Mon May 15, 2017 12:31 pm

Apologies for the double post, but I figured this should have its own post. Warlocks and Mages need to find spells out in the wild, and can't learn them just by leveling up? That can be problematic. Sure, Mages can research their own spells, and Warlocks can summon demons, but at least the latter has a gold cost. And I can't see it being a balance thing, as they are the only casters I can find like that. If you level up mid dungeon, to a level that gives a new spell level, you kinda have to leave and spend gold to have access to your class features. At best, you bought the inks and such before hand, 50gp per spell level, a fairly high cost in 5e, but now you have to spend 2 hours per spell level, which can get rather long rather fast, and might as well force a long rest and more so, and add a week to that if you don't happen to be fighting enemies with your class that have spells you'd ever cast. I disagree with making Cantrips cost mana, as they are meant to allow the casters to have something to do every round in combat, but at least you have feats for that, which isn't great but acceptable. But I can't see forcing a handful of casters to have to ask their party to stop adventuring while they burn there share of the loot at least just to play the class. Scribing spells is supposed to be a bonus, and even then only one that is needed because the designers added a weakness for fluff and nestalgia, not a requirement.
biapolis
Goblin

Postby Arrius Nideal » Wed May 17, 2017 10:39 am

@Lay on Hands: I've corrected the text, and it is now variable on percentage of the maximum mana pool (half or all). It'll show in version 2.4.

@Spell Acquisition: Good eye. Paladins' librams act as spellbooks, so you can add them along with Mages and Warlocks in your post.
You're right. Acquiring a new spell is done by acquiring scrolls, spellbooks, buying the spells, tuition (by demons), or research. There is no automatic acquisition once you level up. I'll add that to version 2.4; 2 spells whenever you level up and can normally cast spells.
What I'm thinking is that there are several ways to gain new spells.
1. Gaining access to a written spell (scroll, stolen spellbook), which is instantaneous and free (treasure drop)
2. Tuition by someone who has the spell (learning from a demon), takes a week but is less costly
3. Scribing a scroll from another source (which is either based on tuition or access to written spells)
4. Research, which takes two weeks and lots of money, but can choose any spell the caster can get.
5. Leveling up (which is like a free research).
It would make sense for all spellcasters to require one of the above methods to gain new spells: any class can be tutored by any other class (wizard tutors wizard, etc.) and by creatures they can conjure: warlocks and death knights are tutored by demons and undead, respectively; shamans and druids are tutored by elementals and fey, respectively, paladins are tutored by celestials, etc. I'll add more detail regarding this, too, in 2.4.

@Cantrips: Cantrips being absolutely free is relatively new to D&D (crossbows are backup weapons for wizards and warlocks for this reason). There isn't really any free magic in Warcraft, either (which always scale or exhaust at some level or another in-game or in lore).
If infinite cantrips is a popular idea, however, we can change the formula so they become cheaper when leveling up, and become free of cost later.

Old formula: Mana Cost = [Spell level + 6 - Proficiency bonus]/2 (round down, minimum 1)
New formula: Mana Cost = [Spell Level + 6]/2 (round down) - Proficiency bonus (minimum 0).

Old formula: A cantrip costs 2 mana at level 1, and 1 mana at level 10 (or 0 mana at level 20 if the minimum 1 limitation is removed)
New formula: A cantrip costs 1 mana at level 1, and maxes out at 0 mana at level 5.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby biapolis » Wed May 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Good to hear. Apologies if I came off as combative, I just find adding a weakness to a class that harms everyone, but not to other classes, to be one of the most problematic design decisions possible. As for the cantrips, I know they weren't at will until 4th edition, but some people will probably be put off by mages and warlocks firing crossbows. Like the GM for the upcoming game of this I'm going to be in. She has already stated she is houseruling proficiency closer to the games [part of why the DK shield prof caught my eye]. And I kinda like the way the feat you added works for it. I agree that there should be no truly free magic in Warcraft, but I do like the idea of spells that cost such a negligible amount of mana that you can regain the cost almost instantly. Which I think the feat may work for. You still have to have a certain amount of mana in the pool, you just don't have to spend it if you took the feat. Or rather, you need some juice to kickstart the spell, but not as much as a full spell so you regain it back fast enough. If you are in a situation where you need to push yourself beyond your limit, you run the risk of running out of mana, but as long as you aren't spaming high cost spells you should be safe.

Edit: actually, thinking on the cantrip front, another idea might be to make some simpler wands. 5e has stats for wands, but they are all charge based. Maybe infusion would be able to craft wands that can fire off an unlimited amount of small shots, for when casters are out of mana. Maybe something like a number of d6 equal to how much mana is in your pool or your proficiency bonus, whichever is lower, to keep it in line with that feat. And you choose the damage type on creation. Probably want to cap it at 3 or 4 though, but ya, I could see that working.

edit2: I just found something while building a warlock character. In the Quick Build section for the warlock, it suggests taking the Elditch Blast Cantrip, but the class only gains Sorcerer spells from the PHB, not PHB Warlock Spells. I'd suggest, presuming you still wish to keep it with sorcerer spells, which makes the most sense as PHB Warlocks have odd spell casting which would probably need some fiddling before putting it into a normal casting class, would be to replace it with chill touch, which would be dealing Fel damage, wich would be the most fitting. The thing about undead still fits with lore, as undead were created by the legion, so a Warlock being able to mess with them would not be completely out of place.
biapolis
Goblin

Postby Arrius Nideal » Sun May 21, 2017 5:17 pm

It's not a problem. Feedback is always welcome!
Is the upcoming game using this system?
@Cantrips 1: You're thinking on reserve mana (it's where I got the feat idea from). It's in 3.5, I believe, and was used for a lot of feats.
@Simpler Wands: Overhauling magic items is on the to-do list. The next version will also include more artifacts and magic items. Once we delve into the rules, we can derive mechanics that can work on the 'empty mana' idea.
@Warlocks: Great idea. I'll incorporate it!
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby Arrius Nideal » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:56 pm

The next update is a big one. I gotta admit. It should be, since we've just got 7.2 thousand clicks on our google drive link!

A few updates regarding the process:
Converting the file to PDF is on hold, unfortunately, until the team members focusing on the project are finished.
The file itself is continuing smoothly; several updates regarding spellcasting. New Warcraft 5e RPG spells replace old ones; namely Bind Creature subsumes spells like Planar Ally, Planar Binding, and Create Undead, all with a Warcraft flavor.
The project is also seemingly done with new classes. Open to ideas, but it seems we covered all the bases.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby Arrius Nideal » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:59 am

Update: 2.4 released!
Clarified auras, overhauled the Death Knight’s Army of the Dead ability (tied to Animate Undead) clarified spellcasting and mana costs (reduced cantrips’ cost to become free at 5th level+), caster levels, and other mechanics (all casters have spellbooks or equivalents; spellcasters can also gain spells by leveling up, taking others’ spellbooks, being tutored by another caster or creature such as demons or fey, or researching unique spells). Added new and fixed old spells (Psychic Terror, Slumber, Bind Creature, which replaces Create Undead, Planar Binding, and Planar Ally; Conjure Creature more uniform, evocative consecration renamed to consecration), potions can now act in area of effect instead of being solely based on their original spell parameters, added new magical items (Truesilver Champion, Hand of Ragnaros, and armor sets among others).
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Previous

Return to World of Warcraft