Warcraft RPG 5th Edition...

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.

Re: Warcraft RPG 5th Edition...

Postby Arrius Nideal » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:50 pm

Hey there, Venom
1. The conversion is ideally a modular add-on, so you can use any core D&D spells. Generally, this conversion adds, and does not remove.
2. In the case of shamans--they use the Cleric spell list, but add Shaman spells (hence, they can choose Cleric and Shaman spells). Under the Spellcasting feature, it says "A shaman also casts priest spells," and the Priest is the normal D&D Cleric in terms of spell lists. I will make this clearer in the next patch.
3. The Conjure Elemental (or Conjure Creature spell) gets stronger the higher the spell level goes. Shamans can prepare at that level normally, and it does not cost a preparation slot (all Art spells act similarly in that regard).

Hope your campaign goes well!
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby Arrius Nideal » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:52 am

Update: The PDF-ing of the document is progressing nicely, and reached the middle of the Spells chapter, approximately 80% finished.
Update 2.5 will follow after that, and will clarify several points, fix some spells, and add an optional crafting subsystem (crafting points).
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby khar76 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:39 pm

looking forward to it!
"The Horde MUST have a leader!" - Vol'jin's dying breath
khar76
Goblin

Postby oPolden » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:51 pm

Hey again!

I briefly popped on, said hello, and tried to get in on the project about half a year ago or so - and then promptly vanished right after (my job got a bit too busy, so it was hard to be involved in any big way, sorry!).

But, how's the project doing these days? Is it all still mainly managed through here, or do you have other channels where it's handled at (Slack, Discord, other forums, etc.)?
oPolden
Goblin

Postby Arrius Nideal » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:43 pm

Update: The PDF is in its final stages of polishing. Hopefully we can have it posted soon.
Also, 10,000 clicks on the main document. That's nice.

@oPolden: Hey there. We're on version 2.4, and are about to furnish out a fancy-looking PDF file that contain the rules in 5e format. I'm considering locating the bulk of the project to a Reddit threat (possibly the communities of r/WoW, r/UnearthedArcana, or r/DnD to reach a wider audience.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby oPolden » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:02 pm

That's pretty awesome! If the majority of the project is still mainly managed through here, setting up a Reddit group or a Discord server would be a good idea, to make it easier for people to join the project, contribute, provide feedback, and so forth. :b

It could be fun to write adventure compendiums, covering different zones across Azeroth and beyond - story, factions, the outline of the main questline through that zone (the Defias quests in Westfall, starting with the broken-down carriage and culminating in the Deadmines dungeon, that's an entire multi-part adventure there alone). But I don't know if that could run into IP issues, considering it'd take content out of the game and rewrite it for pen and paper RPG. But then, none of this is for profit, so.
oPolden
Goblin

Postby Arrius Nideal » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:22 am

I have finished a conversion of Deadmines already. It will be uploaded hopefully soon, but PDFing something (even with Homebrewery) takes a very long time.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby Jehana of Arc » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:23 pm

That's pretty awesome! If the majority of the project is still mainly managed through here, setting up a Reddit group or a Discord server would be a good idea, to make it easier for people to join the project, contribute, provide feedback, and so forth. :b

It could be fun to write adventure compendiums, covering different zones across Azeroth and beyond - story, factions, the outline of the main questline through that zone (the Defias quests in Westfall, starting with the broken-down carriage and culminating in the Deadmines dungeon, that's an entire multi-part adventure there alone). But I don't know if that could run into IP issues, considering it'd take content out of the game and rewrite it for pen and paper RPG. But then, none of this is for profit, so.

I've been lurking here for a while now, but decided to post for the first time because this suggestion is a pretty good idea. Discord server is wonderful platform to communicate, give feedback and contribute to the cause.
Jehana of Arc
Kobold

Postby oPolden » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:58 am

A server on Discord, or a subreddit, or both, would make it easier for people to partake in the project, provide design input and playtesting feedback. A discord server for the more direct communication between the people actively contributing, and a subreddit where people can come and share their thoughts?

That is if the project would like to become somewhat of a community project, at least. I think it would help the whole thing grow not just in terms of size and overall polish, but also for how big of an audience it can reach.
oPolden
Goblin

Postby Arrius Nideal » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:06 am

I agree with both points. I am in something of a bind now in terms of the published PDF, however. Hombrewery has rendering issues that is delaying publishing (namely changing locations of images, messing up word and image formation).
Once that issue is addressed, we can hopefully move on to establishing an online presence to spread the project's reach as a fan product. It's already engaged most of the people on the Piazza forum (all ten of them XD), and is the topic with the highest number of views. Time to leave the nest, as it were, once the PDF is ready.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby oPolden » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:21 pm

Setting up something that brings the "internal" community together, the people who want to work on building and maintaining something like this, could probably done already now, right? Have a Discord server with the people who want to be closely involved, would make it easier to organize and mobilize that group of people when everything's ready to make the next step forward and build a bigger community.
oPolden
Goblin

Postby ROTHGAR » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:45 am

Just throwing this out there but I'm wondering if the Mage class's Tradition of Frost could benefit from a "Piercing Ice" ability that functions in the same way as "Black Fire" and could replace Ice Statues. After all, the Mage already gains the ability to freeze her opponents at Level 14 (via Tradition of Frost's Deep Freeze) and it might impede a Frost Mage severely if her cold spells can't affect an enemy who has immunity to cold.
ROTHGAR
Goblin

Postby ROTHGAR » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:47 am

Or, if this doesn't make the class broken, you could possibly give the Mage an extra Tradition at Level 17 and that would make room for a "Piercing Ice" ability for the Tradition of Frost (as well as two other abilities for the other Traditions.
ROTHGAR
Goblin

Postby Arrius Nideal » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:05 am

@oPolden: I get you, and I would agree, but we're pretty close to finishing it. I'll give more of an oomph if we establish them after everything is ready.

@Rothgar: That is a good observation. As is, Deep Freeze is a buff to Ice Statues. I'm strongly considering making Ice Statues scale, and make a 'Black Fire' variant for Frost mages. Perhaps White Ice is a good name?
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Arrius Nideal wrote:Once that issue is addressed, we can hopefully move on to establishing an online presence to spread the project's reach as a fan product. It's already engaged most of the people on the Piazza forum (all ten of them XD), and is the topic with the highest number of views. Time to leave the nest, as it were, once the PDF is ready.
I know I haven't been that active in expressing my interest in this project, but I am glad you folks are working on this. I quite enjoyed the White Wolf/Arthaus books, and even though 5E isn't my preferred system it is still a very solid system. I am looking forward seeing the finished PDF and reading it.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby ROTHGAR » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:12 am

Arrius Nideal wrote:@Rothgar: That is a good observation. As is, Deep Freeze is a buff to Ice Statues. I'm strongly considering making Ice Statues scale, and make a 'Black Fire' variant for Frost mages. Perhaps White Ice is a good name?

I'd recommend the name "Absolute Cold" to show it's so utterly cold it damages even foes normally immune to it. ;) :D
ROTHGAR
Goblin

Postby DarthManu » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Why does the Frost Death Knight doesn't have the Fighting Style "Two-Weapon Fighting"??? In the game the frost DKs are main two weapons.
DarthManu
Kobold

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:16 pm

DarthManu wrote:Why does the Frost Death Knight doesn't have the Fighting Style "Two-Weapon Fighting"??? In the game the frost DKs are main two weapons.
Welcome to the forums, DarthManu! You might want to pop on over to the Introduce yourself here thread and tell us a little about yourself and your history with ttrpgs.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby ROTHGAR » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:22 pm

Another point of interest. I feel the Human's racial trait "Every Man For Himself" is kind of non-heroic and also gender specific. Perhaps "Human Spirit" might be a better name for it.
ROTHGAR
Goblin

Postby ROTHGAR » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:25 pm

Also, are there rules for adding the Barbarian and Sorcerer classes to the setting?

Barbarians were in the 3.5 setting of World of Warcraft RPG (with my only grip being that only certain races could be a Barbarian) and we know that Sorcerers (and Sorceresses) exist in World of Warcraft (aka female Highborn Elf Sorceresses and such). Perhaps the Sorcerer class could have bloodline heritages like Dragon Aspects, Fel-Taint, Elemental, and Holy Light?
ROTHGAR
Goblin

Postby Arrius Nideal » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:50 am

@Rothgar: Good couple of points
* Death Knight: It seems to have dropped in error. I've removed protection (death knights rarely use shields) and added two-weapon fighting instead.
* Every man for himself: Human spirit is indeed a better name. I've changed it, but mostly because Every Man for Himself is double the words. I've also nerfed it, giving it a times/day restriction to balance it with other racial traits.
* Barbarian/Sorcerer: There is no plan to add sorcerers. In the Warcraft setting, there is no difference between a sorcerer and a mage (it usually being a title).
Barbarians are a good point, however. After all, WoW warriors have rage as a resource.
I am considering decoupling 5e's barbarian abilities and add them as options to the warrior.
For example, the warrior gains an option from level 1 to either gain Second Wind or Rage. At level 2, they have the option between Reckless Attack and Action Surge, etc.
That way, I could integrate Warcraft's rage-from-battle mechanic by allowing the warrior to regain rage uses after being hurt severely (for example, by being reduced to 0 hit points or being critically hit).
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Previous

Return to World of Warcraft