Warcraft RPG vs World of Warcraft RPG

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.

Warcraft RPG vs World of Warcraft RPG

Postby Big Mac » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:57 pm

After a lot of confusion, about the difference between the 1st and 2nd version of the RPG, I've finally gone with the 1st version, thanks to some advice that Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game is closer to conventional D&D than World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game.

But I've still only got a couple of books, and need to get more. So I'm wondering which books are useful to players of both Warcraft: RPG and WoW: RPG and which books are only useful to Warcraft: RPG players or to World of Warcraft: RPG players.

Given that I got confused, I thought it might be useful to have a thread to discuss the entire product line (or both product lines) and how well they fit together.

EDIT: Here are a few more thoughts:

I'm figuring these seven core products are naturally mutually exclusive:

If you pick the first or second ruleset, I can't see that you would get too much from having access to the other ruleset. But is there anything in the first edition that can be transferred to the second edition (or vice versa)?

I'm figuring that these three Warcraft: RPG products would be useful to WoW: RPG players:

The Warcraft: RPG to World of Warcraft: RPG Conversion manual (see the Other Warcraft Websites (& Free Downloads) sticky) should help WoW: RPG fans use these three books.

I'm figuring that these three WoW: RPG products would be useful to Warcraft: RPG players:

I'm not so sure that the The Warcraft: RPG to World of Warcraft: RPG Conversion manual can be used to create a retro-conversion of these three books.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Warcraft RPG vs World of Warcraft RPG

Postby Andrelvis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:03 pm

You've got it pretty much right. I think "More Magic and Mayhem" and "Magic and Mayhem" are mutually exclusive though, despite the names. I'm not entirely sure, though.
Andrelvis
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:38 am

Andrelvis wrote:You've got it pretty much right.

Thanks for the confirmation. :cool:

Andrelvis wrote:I think "More Magic and Mayhem" and "Magic and Mayhem" are mutually exclusive though, despite the names. I'm not entirely sure, though.

That sounds odd. I thought that More Magic and Mayhem was going to build on the first book. :?

Can anyone confirm this?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Andrelvis » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:32 am

Big Mac wrote:That sounds odd. I thought that More Magic and Mayhem was going to build on the first book. :?

Can anyone confirm this?

If I remember right, at least some of the same things were detailed in both books, i.e. the Runemaster class.
Andrelvis
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:48 am

Andrelvis wrote:
Big Mac wrote:That sounds odd. I thought that More Magic and Mayhem was going to build on the first book. :?

Can anyone confirm this?

If I remember right, at least some of the same things were detailed in both books, i.e. the Runemaster class.

I'll have to see if I can get access to the table of contents for both books, so I can compare them.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Deckenpuppel » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Maybe this extract from More Magic and Mayhem will help:

What’s the Deal with the Old Magic & Mayhem?

Since you’re holding this book in your hands,
odds are you’ve already fl ipped through it and
realized how new and valuable it is. However, you
may not be thinking along those lines. Perhaps you
notice this book on the shelf and think, “Uh oh.”
You think, “Gee, they just came out with a new
edition of the game’s core book, and now they’re
coming out with a new edition of the magic and tech
book.” If you are particularly up on your Warcraft
RPG trivia, you may also be thinking, “And there’s
this new developer in charge of the line.” In any
case, your primary concern is: “They’re going to
come out with new editions of all the old books.
This bodes ill.”
Well, if you are thinking along those lines, allow
me to put your fears at rest. While More Magic
& Mayhem is related to the original Magic &
Mayhem, it is composed, primarily, of new popular
and ultra-crunchy material.
Use both books. Crush your foes.

The two are certainly not the same.
Deckenpuppel
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:30 am

Deckenpuppel wrote:Maybe this extract from More Magic and Mayhem will help:

What’s the Deal with the Old Magic & Mayhem?

Since you’re holding this book in your hands,
odds are you’ve already fl ipped through it and
realized how new and valuable it is. However, you
may not be thinking along those lines. Perhaps you
notice this book on the shelf and think, “Uh oh.”
You think, “Gee, they just came out with a new
edition of the game’s core book, and now they’re
coming out with a new edition of the magic and tech
book.” If you are particularly up on your Warcraft
RPG trivia, you may also be thinking, “And there’s
this new developer in charge of the line.” In any
case, your primary concern is: “They’re going to
come out with new editions of all the old books.
This bodes ill.”
Well, if you are thinking along those lines, allow
me to put your fears at rest. While More Magic
& Mayhem is related to the original Magic &
Mayhem, it is composed, primarily, of new popular
and ultra-crunchy material.
Use both books. Crush your foes.

The two are certainly not the same.

Yay! Thanks for that confirmation Deckenpuppel!

Now I can buy with confidence. :mrgreen:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Ivellius » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:31 pm

To weigh in on other things, considering I don't own Magic & Mayhem:

Lands of Mystery is quite "fluffy" in detailing Kalimdor and Northrend, so it would be useful for those aspects. From what I remember in the Manual of Monsters, however, it details a lot of the creatures found in Dark Factions, so I wouldn't argue the latter as very helpful. It has brief descriptions of non-Horde/Alliance organizations, but you can get access to Wowpedia or something else about as easily.
Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:13 am

Ivellius wrote:Lands of Mystery is quite "fluffy" in detailing Kalimdor and Northrend, so it would be useful for those aspects.

I'm looking out for a copy of that (at an economical price).

Ivellius wrote:From what I remember in the Manual of Monsters, however, it details a lot of the creatures found in Dark Factions, so I wouldn't argue the latter as very helpful. It has brief descriptions of non-Horde/Alliance organizations, but you can get access to Wowpedia or something else about as easily.

Every time I've looked around for copies of Dark Factions it has been stupidly expensive. I've not even considered buying it at the prices I've seen it at.

When I don't think a book is a "must have" for me, I tend to assign it a percentage value in my head (a kind of guess on how much of the book will be of value). So if I think half the book will be useful, I'll look for it at half the price. So I might still buy Dark Factions if a cheap copy comes up, but I'm thinking that is going to be unlikely.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Ivellius » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:26 am

Big Mac wrote:Every time I've looked around for copies of Dark Factions it has been stupidly expensive. I've not even considered buying it at the prices I've seen it at.

When I don't think a book is a "must have" for me, I tend to assign it a percentage value in my head (a kind of guess on how much of the book will be of value). So if I think half the book will be useful, I'll look for it at half the price. So I might still buy Dark Factions if a cheap copy comes up, but I'm thinking that is going to be unlikely.

I felt like only about half the book was useful in general, and a lot of the races are reprints from either MoM or the Monster Guide.
Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:34 am

Ivellius wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Every time I've looked around for copies of Dark Factions it has been stupidly expensive. I've not even considered buying it at the prices I've seen it at.

I felt like only about half the book was useful in general, and a lot of the races are reprints from either MoM or the Monster Guide.

Do the reprints of races actually add anything that was not there before (like maybe a favoured class, a prestige class or bespoke skills or feats)?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Ivellius » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:13 pm

For the first chapter with the actual "Races" section? I don't think so. Maybe they didn't have a section for sample names in the Monster Guide? In the second chapter there are creature classes for dragons, flamewakers, nerubians, and sea giants, and I don't remember off-hand which of those (if any) are reprints. I want to say dragons and nerubians had been seen in one of the other books (Lands of Mystery?), though I'm not certain.
Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Return to World of Warcraft