WoW Monster Guide Web supplement

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Boneguard
Deep One Priest

WoW Monster Guide Web supplement

Post by Boneguard » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:03 pm

Any one know where I could get the WoW Monster Guide Web supplement?

It is 30 pages and cover regular animal. The RPGdrivethru like is dead though.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: WoW Monster Guide Web supplement

Post by Big Mac » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:18 am

Unfortunately, you are not going to be able to get this.

Blizzard did not renew the licence to Sword and Sorcery Studios and, although DriveThru RPG still had the WoW: RPG products on sale for a time, they have since stopped selling them. (I'm guessing that their rights to sell this PDF also expired.)

The only way this will go back on sale is if Blizzard decided to allow it to go back on sale again.

EDIT: By the way, I once had someone tell me that the PDF mostly contained animals that you could get the stats of for free in the SRD, so they didn't think it was worth the money.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:42 pm

Crud.

I knew it was regular beast, but i was stillhoping to get my hand on it

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:50 am

Boneguard wrote:I knew it was regular beast, but i was stillhoping to get my hand on it
It is something I decided I didn't want (as I've heard it wasn't worth the money) but I would like to see these products go back on sale (either in PDF or better yet PoD format).

Blizzard gave the original licence to Sword & Sorcery Studio/White Wolf, so the ball is in their court. However, I hear that White Wolf has been bought out by a computer game company and they are not too interested in maintaining their old 3rd Edition D&D compatible product lines. So if they don't ask, Blizzard won't even be thinking about making a new deal.

I'm sure that DriveThru RPG would be delighted to sell this, but with it being an expired item, their hands are tied.

The person that told me they disliked the product (sorry, I don't recall what it was) suggested it was little more than a reprint of the SRD monsters, with a minor Warcraft makeover. So, if that is true, maybe not being able to get this won't be such a loss.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Deckenpuppel
Orc

Post by Deckenpuppel » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:12 am

Interested in any particular entry? Could look it up for you.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:33 am

Deckenpuppel wrote:Interested in any particular entry? Could look it up for you.
That's the thing, I'm not sure since I never seen it -just read about it on rpg.net- so it's hard to see what I want to know about. :oops:

Deckenpuppel
Orc

Post by Deckenpuppel » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:59 pm

Then let me give you a list of entries:

Ape
Badger
Bear (Black Bear, Grizzly Bear, Polar Bear)
Bison
Boar (Boar, Battleboar = such as used by the quilboar)
Buzzard (Buzzard, Giant Buzzard)
Cat
Cheetah
Crocodile (Crocodile, Giant Crocodile)
Crocolisk
Dog
Eagle
Frenzy
Giraffe
Horse (Light Horse, Heavy Horse, Light Warhorse)
Hyena
Lion
Lizard (Common Lizard, Monitor Lizard)
Mammoth (Mammoth, Icetusk Mammoth)
Mountain Lion
Octopus
Owl (Common Owl, Giant Owl)
Pony
Rat
Raven
Rhinoceros
Sea Turtle
Shark (Medium Shark, Large Shark, Huge Shark)
Sheep (look at my picture, yes that's right...)
Snake (Constrictor, Tiny Viper, Small Viper, Medium Viper, Large Viper, Huge Viper)
Spider Crab
Squid (Squid, Giant Squid)
Stag
Storm Crow
Tailstrider
Tiger
Toad
Weasel
Whale (Baleen Whale, Cachalot Whale, Orca Whale)
Wind Serpent
Wolverine

Vermin:

Carrion Beetle
Giant Scarab
Monstrous Scorpion (Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, Huge, Gargantuan, Colossal)
Monstrous Spider (Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, Huge, Gargantuan, Colossal)

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:32 pm

Those seems to be more specific to the setting and can't be found on the SRD.
Deckenpuppel wrote: Battleboar
Crocolisk
Frenzy
Icetusk Mammoth
Sea Turtle
Storm Crow
Tailstrider
Wind Serpent

Deckenpuppel
Orc

Post by Deckenpuppel » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:09 pm

Big Mac? Do you know whether it would be in any way problematic to post those here?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:38 am

Boneguard wrote:Those seems to be more specific to the setting and can't be found on the SRD.
Deckenpuppel wrote: Battleboar
Crocolisk
Frenzy
Icetusk Mammoth
Sea Turtle
Storm Crow
Tailstrider
Wind Serpent
Wowpedia has an article about the Monster Guide Web Supplement (which gives you an idea what was in those monster entries):
  • Battleboar - Wowpedia lists this as "Young Battleboar" so perhaps it would be appropriate to design an older - larger - version. Also the Quilboars are said to put sharp metal caps onto the tusks of battleboars, so if the depricated MMO quest: The Battleboars was converted into a RPG quest, you could probably have someone collect tusks to recover the metal.
  • Crocolisk - The Wowpedia article says that "Due to the corruption emanating from Grim Batol, some of the crocolisks living in the Wetlands have gained poisonous bites." Perhaps it would be appropriate to design a "Wetlands Crocolisk" that is modified to have a poisonous bite.
  • Frenzy - Wowpedia gives us 15 types of frenzies, plus 4 types of frenzies that are either extinct or removed from the MMO. I'm not sure if they are different enough to warrant variant game stats. Rippa might be good to use with an adventure hook (no pun intended) although the Rippa article does not seem to tie that beast into any MMO quests (or plots).
  • Icetusk Mammoth - Wowpedia has a Mammoth article, but doesn't have a section (or subarticle) for an Icetusk Mammoth. There are 14 types of mammoths in the MMO (as well as 5 named mammoths that might be beasts that could be turned into adventure hooks).
  • Sea Turtle - Wowpedia has a Turtle article that lists sea turtles as one of four types of turtle. (The other three types are: dragon turtle, giant turtle and fire turtle.) Creating those other types as variant monsters might be worth doing. The RPG has a fifth type of turtle (Giant Snapping Turtle). The article suggests that is non-canon, as it is a suggested import from the Tome of Horrors from Necromancer Games. There are 17 named turtles and I think it would be fun to create a new named turtle called "Havard"! :twisted:
  • Storm Crow - According to that article Druids of the Talon can turn into storm crows, so if those druids have not been turned into a RPG version perhaps they would work as an organisation (or maybe they could even have substitution levels or a prestige class). The MMO quest As the Crow Flies has players using the Stormcrow Amulet to transform into a Stormcrow.
  • Tallstrider - The article has 8 types of Tallstrider, with the Plainstrider having 9 varieties.
  • Wind Serpent The article lists 30 types of wind serpent (and also suggests that Outland's wind serpents are unrelated to the ones on Azeroth.
Some of those critters have quite a lot going on with them, so you might want to start a separate thread about any one that you think is worth discussing in more detail.
Deckenpuppel wrote:Big Mac? Do you know whether it would be in any way problematic to post those here?
Copying large amounts of copyrighted text onto a forum usually goes over the line of "fair use". But there are times when a discussion makes small extracts from a book appropriate. It depends on the context of the conversation. Conversions of monsters, from one system to another, is something I've seen done on multiple forums.

I know I'd probably like to see a number of the WoW:RPG monsters retro-converted into Warcraft:RPG stats, so that I could use the new books with the older rules. (That is mostly, because Warcraft:RPG's material is more compatible with D&D and easier for me to use as part of a crossover campaign.) I think other people might enjoy seeing some Warcraft or World of Warcraft monsters (RPG or non RPG) converted into Pathfinder versions. If there were threads like that here (or at Xander212's forums) that would probably allow for quoting of specific monster stats and abilities (alongside research from Blizzard's various computer games).

Another route that could be explored (if you know what you are doing) is that the Warcraft:RPG and WoW:RPG product lines are based on the SRD. So they should all have the Open Game Licence in the back of them. If that is the case they should have an OGC/PI definition (telling you what is Open Game Content and what is Product Identity). If the entire text of the WoW Monster Guide was defined to be OGC (and I'd be surprised if it was) you might be able to republish the entire text (along with your own copy of the OGL). However, I'm guessing that the monster names and descriptions are defined as PI. If there is PI, that would have to be removed in order for you to republish a smaller document that only contained the OGC from the product.

Return to “World of Warcraft”