Fan magazine for Warcraft RPG?

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Fan magazine for Warcraft RPG?

Post by Big Mac » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:12 pm

If you look over at the fans of the Mystara community, you will see that they just launched a fan magazine called Threshold. Issue 1 is really impressive with 184 pages of content to support the campaign setting. A short time ago the Greyhawk fans at Canonfire! launched a magazine for Greyhawk called Canonfire! Chronicles. And in the near future there is going to be a magazine for the Pelinore campaign setting, called Pelinore Adventure Fanzine.

Has anyone out there ever tried to do a fan magazine for Warcraft RPG and/or World of Warcraft RPG?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Deckenpuppel
Orc

Re: Fan magazine for Warcraft RPG?

Post by Deckenpuppel » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:11 am

There certainly would be more than enough topics to pull something like this off for several issues. I thought about creating a little content (more like an article than a magazine though) a while back, when I asked here about somehow getting my hands on the background and layout of the existing source books, but when I couldn't get those my motivation quickly faded away.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:59 pm

Deckenpuppel wrote:There certainly would be more than enough topics to pull something like this off for several issues. I thought about creating a little content (more like an article than a magazine though) a while back, when I asked here about somehow getting my hands on the background and layout of the existing source books, but when I couldn't get those my motivation quickly faded away.
Sorry, I've been a bit more busy than I used to be. Maybe I missed your thread. Do you have a link?

I'm no sure it would be easy to get the backgrounds, but there are a few websites that can scan some text and tell you what the typefaces are. Having said that, the team making Even More Magic and Mayhem must have had access to a lot of stuff. Sadly, they seem to have stalled too.

I think the main thing with an article is to have the actual content. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Deckenpuppel
Orc

Post by Deckenpuppel » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Big Mac wrote:Sorry, I've been a bit more busy than I used to be. Maybe I missed your thread. Do you have a link?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9594

You did reply to it back in the day though, so it should be familiar ;). I did write an email back in the day to Greywolf, if I remember correctly, but I didn't get a reply.
Big Mac wrote:I think the main thing with an article is to have the actual content. :)
You are certainly right there. But with WoW there are at least theoretically more than enough topics to choose from. Just have a look at what questions/discussions always come up on the Blizzard forums when it comes to lore and background.

The main question for me would be whether to add more content to the RPG created content and lore, or accept that they are no longer considered canon, and try to deal just with content that is found in the game. Since it is user generated content, it would of course need to be stated that what we come up with would be nothing more than suggestions anyway.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:16 am

Deckenpuppel wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Sorry, I've been a bit more busy than I used to be. Maybe I missed your thread. Do you have a link?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9594

You did reply to it back in the day though, so it should be familiar ;). I did write an email back in the day to Greywolf, if I remember correctly, but I didn't get a reply.
I didn't get much response from Greywolf either. I guess he got too busy to focus on the fanstuff, but it is a shame he didn't get in touch with me as I was trying to find him the proofreaders/playtesters he said he was looking for to get EMM&M tested.
Deckenpuppel wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I think the main thing with an article is to have the actual content. :)
You are certainly right there. But with WoW there are at least theoretically more than enough topics to choose from. Just have a look at what questions/discussions always come up on the Blizzard forums when it comes to lore and background.
I've not been on the Blizzard forums much recently.
Deckenpuppel wrote:The main question for me would be whether to add more content to the RPG created content and lore, or accept that they are no longer considered canon, and try to deal just with content that is found in the game. Since it is user generated content, it would of course need to be stated that what we come up with would be nothing more than suggestions anyway.
Seeing as Blizzard have written off the RPG as non-canon, I personally would not worry too much about what they think is canon. In fact, I would be inclined to turn things around and look at their stuff to see how compatible it is with RPG material. The way I figure it, you can use the RPG as is or you can tweak it a bit, but if you were going to go totally with what Blizzard are doing now, a lot of work would be involved. :)

I'm guessing that if Blizzard wanted to do a new tabletop game, that was not tied to Dungeons & Dragons, they would probably want to just have a system where you get 60-80 levels, exactly like in the MMO. A RPG like that could pretty much use the same rules as the MMO itself. There are some burst-like effects that would be a bit harder to judge without a computer to call the shots, but I'm fairly sure they could get a designer to review all of those and adapt the to make them more manageable. Personally, I would not want to play with those sort of rules (as I like playing 3e) but Blizzard has the entire MMO system optimised to feed out special abilities and skill increases over those levels and if you want a tabletop RPG to be "similar" to the MMO, that would be the way to do it. You would even depart from the usual "experience points" system that games like D&D have, so that you can run parallel "skill points". Then you could either level up a character or level up their individual skills.

For me, the way I would prefer to translate the new Blizzard content down onto a 20-level system, so that it can be adapted to work with D&D. That is way beyond the realm of the RPG canon or the MMO canon, so I think you could only do thinks in the spirit of both.

Deckenpuppel
Orc

Post by Deckenpuppel » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:59 am

Big Mac wrote:Seeing as Blizzard have written off the RPG as non-canon, I personally would not worry too much about what they think is canon. In fact, I would be inclined to turn things around and look at their stuff to see how compatible it is with RPG material.
I am all for that. At least we wouldn't have to deal with Forsaken priests wielding the Light and cauterizing other undeads' wounds with healing spells ;).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:22 pm

Deckenpuppel wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Seeing as Blizzard have written off the RPG as non-canon, I personally would not worry too much about what they think is canon. In fact, I would be inclined to turn things around and look at their stuff to see how compatible it is with RPG material.
I am all for that. At least we wouldn't have to deal with Forsaken priests wielding the Light and cauterizing other undeads' wounds with healing spells ;).
Well, we would not have to deal with that...unless we wanted to. ;)

I don't know if you ever looked at the Ghostwalk campaign setting, but it has a set of rules where people can be a sort of ghost that is not really an undead. When I looked at the Horde book in a shop (I've still not picked up a copy) I didn't see rules for undead. If someone fancies making playable undead, perhaps things like Ghostwalk and D&D templates could be a way to go.

There are some 3rd Edition Dragonlance books (from Sovereign Press/Margaret Weis Productons) that even break down high ECL critters to make a series of monster levels that mix in HD along with monster abilities, so that you can start off with a playable 1HD 1st level PC and slowly move up to the standard monster level version of the critter (at which point you can add character levels). Maybe the WoW undead can be broken down that way. :)

Deckenpuppel
Orc

Post by Deckenpuppel » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:33 am

Oh, their are plenty of rules for the Undead. The Forsaken are available as a race, and most other Scourge units have either been given stats, or can be created via a template that is provided.

Like I mentioned in my other post though, I am not really into the D&D game-mechanics. When I get creative it is usually about background, underlying principles and people.

I could certainly imagine writing an article about the topic of divine light & shadow magic, and why I think the Scarlet Crusade's usage of the light is flawed/does not make sense.

Then there is what druids and shaman have in common and where their differences lie. Or the different schools of arcane magic (Dalaran, The Tower of Arathor, the Academy of Silvermoon, Capital City's school of magic, Kul'Tiras's Hydromancers from the WC III bonus campaign etc.)

I would be willing to participate in such an effort. I get the feeling though that the community is not nearly as active as it would have to be to pull something like this off.
Last edited by Deckenpuppel on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:35 am

Big Mac wrote:
Deckenpuppel wrote:The main question for me would be whether to add more content to the RPG created content and lore, or accept that they are no longer considered canon, and try to deal just with content that is found in the game. Since it is user generated content, it would of course need to be stated that what we come up with would be nothing more than suggestions anyway.
Seeing as Blizzard have written off the RPG as non-canon, I personally would not worry too much about what they think is canon. In fact, I would be inclined to turn things around and look at their stuff to see how compatible it is with RPG material. The way I figure it, you can use the RPG as is or you can tweak it a bit, but if you were going to go totally with what Blizzard are doing now, a lot of work would be involved. :)
From a general point of view, I think that what material presented in RPG fan magazines would end up actually being used in play would boil down to the preferences of the individual DMs/Groups anyway, so the more options you can provide the better.

Also, I suggest allowing contributors to write what they are passionate about, perhaps making it clear which versions are compatible with which revisions etc.

One cool thing about a Fan magazine for Warcraft is all the material you can draw from, like artwork, adventures, maps, monsters etc.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:39 am

Deckenpuppel wrote:I would be willing to participate in such an effort. I get the feeling through that the community is not nearly as active as it would have to be to pull something like this off.
This is not a very active community, but I have been surprised to see how many people are willing to write contributions to fan magazines once it is clear that the magazine is actually going to happen.

Another alternative would be to cooperate with fans of other settings and make it a multi-setting magazine.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Deckenpuppel wrote:I would be willing to participate in such an effort. I get the feeling though that the community is not nearly as active as it would have to be to pull something like this off.
You might be right. My personal problem is that Warcraft is not my main thing. I'm interested, but I'm still learning.

This is kind of a chicken and egg problem, where you need to pull more fans into the WoW: RPG community to make things like this easier, but you kind of also need it to already exist to attract those fans. :?
Havard wrote:Another alternative would be to cooperate with fans of other settings and make it a multi-setting magazine.
That is an interesting concept.

Another way might be for people to build some stuff in a modular way and then go for a magazine, when they have a lot of pre-made content to add into it. That might allow people to get something out of Warcraft material now.

Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Post by Ivellius » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:57 pm

Havard wrote:
Deckenpuppel wrote:I would be willing to participate in such an effort. I get the feeling through that the community is not nearly as active as it would have to be to pull something like this off.
This is not a very active community, but I have been surprised to see how many people are willing to write contributions to fan magazines once it is clear that the magazine is actually going to happen.

[...]

-Havard
Depending on what the magazine might be, I could contribute. I've got a bunch of stuff in a Word document, though I haven't revisited it in a long time (I think roughly when Mists of Pandaria came out). I was trying to "fill in the blanks" for units and creatures from the RTSes and MMO, but I've also got quite a few variant classes, some monster creations (nothing post-BC, and only about half of those monsters finished), new racial variants and classes, prestige classes associated with each RTS/MMO expansion, and three new base classes: the Archaeologist (for Cataclysm), Commander, and Death Knight (a 1-20 level version more closely based on the MMO). If it helps, some of the prestige classes would also suggest the presence of organizations that could be further detailed. I'm also reasonably certain that some of those prestige classes would have worked better as 5-level classes instead of 10, but ah well. I already put in the work.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:32 pm

It's an interesting idea.

However, unlike with Mystara, fans might have to concern themselves more with what Blizzard thinks from a legal standpoint. World of Warcraft has a substantial public image that a fan magazine for the Warcraft RPG might tarnish (from Blizzard's point of view). Does Blizzard have guidelines for fan-created material?
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:36 pm

Havard wrote:Another alternative would be to cooperate with fans of other settings and make it a multi-setting magazine.
Perhaps it could be limited to the CRPGs that have been converted into pen and paper RPGs.

Everquest
World of Warcraft
Starcraft (Alternity)

Others?
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Return to “World of Warcraft”