How does cloth armour work?

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23190
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

How does cloth armour work?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:39 pm

The WoW MMO has cloth armour (spelled "cloth armor" in WoW):
Image
Cloth armor article on Wowpedi wrote:Cloth armor is the only type of armor that can be effectively worn by mages, warlocks, and priests. Cloth armor has the lowest armor attribute, below leather armor.

Cloth armor can be produced with the Tailoring profession.
I quite like the idea of cloth armour, but Dungeons & Dragons tends to instead say that certain character classes can not wear armour.

How does cloth armour work in Warcraft RPG and World of Warcraft RPG? Do they drop it? Do they have it causing a chance of spell failure? Do they make certain classes proficient in cloth armour and drop the spell failure rules?

I know that WoW has a ton of different armor sets (including cloth armor sets). I'm assuming these are supposed to be mastercrafted or magical armour. Has anyone ever complied some of the parts of cloth armor randomised sets from the MMO and turned them into things that can be found (as treasure) or bought in a tabletop game?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
ExTSR
Troll
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:17 pm
Gender: male
Location: North Central USA

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by ExTSR » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>
My friend Gary changed the world.

User avatar
Deckenpuppel
Orc
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:53 am

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Deckenpuppel » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Personally, I don't really see a great need for cloth armour in the P&P setting, or rather don't think that implementing it into the D&D AC-System would be worth the effort. Its the relation to other armour that counts, and to me the progression from cloth to leather to heavy to plate seems very similiar to from no armour to light, to medium and to heavy. Aside from this protection aspect, armours are mostly looks and fluff, and those are easily created in a P&P since there are no restrictions to what you imagine your armour or attire to look like. Once you reach the point where you are wearing magic armour and robes, it becomes even less important as far as I am concerned.

That aspect left aside, I have always found the logical reasons for the spellfailure mechanic to be immensely unsatisfying. I can respect those settings that say that due to some metaphysical law wearing metal somehow hampers with a mage's ability to channel arcane energy or weave spells, but saying that different types of armour interfere with the (arcane) caster's gestures is just rediculous. I mean, sure, wearing armour can be bothersome, but it's not like the gestures generally attributed to spellcasting in popular culture are all that difficult. Then there is the fact that there are classes that are allowed to wear at least light armour because their gestures are even simpler than those of other spellcasters. I don't know about you, but as far as I am concerned, I am willing to bet that a person wearing leather armour is able to produce each and every gesture a person wearing no armour could make. Lastly, there is the thing that divine casters can wear pretty much everything they want without it having any effect at all. It just so utterly unconvincing and an obvious game mechanic trying to maintain balance and the stereotype of the robe-wearing magician. Don't get me wrong, I like that archetype as much as the next guy, but not when it is explained with such a weak explanation. There are also a few examples where the WoW setting simply discards this notion, for example Kael'thas's obvious plate armour in WC III, or the Horde's death nights of the second war. Of course, if one desperately wants to come up with an explanation for that, one can manage somehow.

Personally, I much rather imagine that the choice of most mages not to wear any armour is based on the nature of arcane magic as it is described in the sourcebooks. Due to arcane corruption, most mages not only tend to loose their vitality increasingly fast, but they also grow more and more arrogant at the same time, considering themselves protected by their arcane power and thus above the usage of such encumbering means of protection such as armour.

Sir Will
Kobold
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: male

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Sir Will » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:35 pm

Technically Padded Armor is cloth. 4th Edition has cloth armor and it sucks, it has 0 AC until you enchant it.

The horo looks good from but from what it sounds like it's just protection from arrows from behind

Deckenpuppel, the reason DnD has Arcane Spell Failure is so that the squishy wizard has to be smart and can't just tank in full plate, because even if you had Freedom of Movement you could argue that it no longer gets in the way of casting spells but it wouldn't. WoW RPG pretty much copy and pasted a lot from 3.5's PHB. If you really want armor on a arcane caster get a mithril chain shirt enchanted with the twilight enchantment. The mithril lowers to armor penalty to 0 and spell failure to 10%, and the enchantment lowers the spell failure by another 10%. So you can wear armor as a arcane caster, you just gotta look everywhere for options. Also there are spells like frost armor, shield, etc, that give casters AC. Also in WoW they have their own rules about how magic works and I don't think it's ever mentioned that bulky armor is a problem, it's that mages spend their time training their minds not their bodies.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23190
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:17 pm

Deckenpuppel wrote:Lastly, there is the thing that divine casters can wear pretty much everything they want without it having any effect at all. It just so utterly unconvincing and an obvious game mechanic trying to maintain balance and the stereotype of the robe-wearing magician. Don't get me wrong, I like that archetype as much as the next guy, but not when it is explained with such a weak explanation.
There is that. It does feel a bit odd.
Sir Will wrote:Technically Padded Armor is cloth. 4th Edition has cloth armor and it sucks, it has 0 AC until you enchant it.
Your PC should get something from padded armour (lice perhaps :P ).

Maybe Mastercrafted Padded Armour could be +1.
Sir Will wrote:The horo looks good from but from what it sounds like it's just protection from arrows from behind
I think it is an "air bag for arrows". :lol:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6166
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by night_druid » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:57 pm

D&D has had 'cloth' armor in the past; I remember an old Dragon article that had some silk armors, which were effectively 'cloth' armor.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Sir Will
Kobold
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: male

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Sir Will » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:35 am

In Races of Stone I believe, you can get something called like an Earthsilk Jersey, which was an undershirt that gave +1 ac, but if you got hit by a crit from piercing damage, it was broken and you had to get a new 1 or get a fixed with like a craft (tailoring) check
"Alea iacta est" -The Die is Cast.

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18301
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Havard » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:41 pm

I like the idea of cloth armor. I see its main function in d20 based games as allowing magical enchantments to armor usable by any class and also for characters who do not wish to suffer the penalties for wearing armor.

Another benefit from magical cloth armor would be that it would cause fewer eyebrows to be raised while wearing them in town, at social gatherings etc.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sir Will
Kobold
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: male

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Sir Will » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:07 pm

I see cloth armor really more of for wizards/sorcerers and monks since they aren't allowed to wear armor, plus you don't imagine a monk/wizard in full plate, you imagine them in robes. I'm pretty sure people are used to seeing adventuers in armor, it would be quite odd to see a paladin not in full plate. Plus light armor is basically clothing or you can just wear it underneath your clothes in the case of a chain shirt.
"Alea iacta est" -The Die is Cast.

Ivellius
Hobgoblin
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:04 am
Gender: male

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Ivellius » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:14 pm

The short answer is that cloth armor in the tabletop is covered by either the padded armor of D&D 3e (so 5% spell failure chance) or just regular clothes, considering that a robe and pants aren't exactly armor.

It would be nice to adapt one of the MMO cloth sets like some of the other item sets have had done, though I wouldn't classify it as "armor" per se.

User avatar
Arrius Nideal
Ogre
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:46 pm
Gender: male

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Arrius Nideal » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:00 am

I myself have added cloth armor (body) under the Tailoring skill. It grants no bonuses whatsoever, but they can be targeted with armor-specific enhancements like Defending or energy resistance.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23190
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:46 am

night_druid wrote:D&D has had 'cloth' armor in the past; I remember an old Dragon article that had some silk armors, which were effectively 'cloth' armor.
...and...
Sir Will wrote:In Races of Stone I believe, you can get something called like an Earthsilk Jersey, which was an undershirt that gave +1 ac, but if you got hit by a crit from piercing damage, it was broken and you had to get a new 1 or get a fixed with like a craft (tailoring) check
Silk shirts as armour sounds good. I heard that the Mongols wore silk shirts, so that when they were shot with arrows, the arrow pulled the silk into the wound. I heard the arrow could be drawn out by using the silk, and that would stop the barbs on the back of the arrow from catching inside the wound and jamming the arrowhead in.

I don't recall D&D arrows doing more damage, when taken out, so I'm not sure you could replicate that effect, with the normal rules. (Maybe damage reduction that only works against arrows would work.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23190
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:02 am

Havard wrote:I like the idea of cloth armor. I see its main function in d20 based games as allowing magical enchantments to armor usable by any class and also for characters who do not wish to suffer the penalties for wearing armor.
...and...
Sir Will wrote:I see cloth armor really more of for wizards/sorcerers and monks since they aren't allowed to wear armor, plus you don't imagine a monk/wizard in full plate, you imagine them in robes. I'm pretty sure people are used to seeing adventuers in armor, it would be quite odd to see a paladin not in full plate. Plus light armor is basically clothing or you can just wear it underneath your clothes in the case of a chain shirt.
...and...
Ivellius wrote:The short answer is that cloth armor in the tabletop is covered by either the padded armor of D&D 3e (so 5% spell failure chance) or just regular clothes, considering that a robe and pants aren't exactly armor.

It would be nice to adapt one of the MMO cloth sets like some of the other item sets have had done, though I wouldn't classify it as "armor" per se.
According to the Cloth armor randomized set article, there are nearly 60 types of cloth armour (using a item suffix naming convention). Starting with the bottom one ("Beaded <item> of the <suffix>) I see that a "Beaded Robe" can come with nine different suffixes.

So if that sort of pattern is continued, that would mean that the MMO has almost 600 types of cloth armour! :shock:
Arrius Nideal wrote:I myself have added cloth armor (body) under the Tailoring skill. It grants no bonuses whatsoever, but they can be targeted with armor-specific enhancements like Defending or energy resistance.
I like that Arrius. It would seem to follow the pattern of the MMO items. :D

EDIT: I don't recall your avatar before. I can't remember if I've said "Welcome to The Piazza!" yet, but welcome!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23190
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:09 am

Havard wrote:Another benefit from magical cloth armor would be that it would cause fewer eyebrows to be raised while wearing them in town, at social gatherings etc.
Well I was thinking that magical armour, with higher pluses could replace non-magical armour, with no pluses or magical armour with less pluses.

The ability to have this as "stealth armour" would be pretty useful.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Arrius Nideal
Ogre
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:46 pm
Gender: male

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:51 pm

I like that Arrius. It would seem to follow the pattern of the MMO items. :D

EDIT: I don't recall your avatar before. I can't remember if I've said "Welcome to The Piazza!" yet, but welcome!
Ah, I came in here from Yuku.com. Although the other forum has more posts overall, this is more active.
For a given value of activity, of course. :roll:

User avatar
Bonetti
Fire Giant
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:03 am
Gender: male
Location: Garden Grove, California

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Bonetti » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:55 pm

Big Mac wrote:According to the Cloth armor randomized set article, there are nearly 60 types of cloth armour (using a item suffix naming convention). Starting with the bottom one ("Beaded <item> of the <suffix>) I see that a "Beaded Robe" can come with nine different suffixes.

So if that sort of pattern is continued, that would mean that the MMO has almost 600 types of cloth armour! :shock:
Minor nit: that list only includes the randomized drops with suffixes, so it excludes things like the gray drops (twill!), tier gear, crafted sets (which aren't randomized that low, mostly), some of the special oddballs like the blue boots from the arakkoa feather quest in Shattrath, and everything put into the game since Burning Crusade. Might even be missing later BC stuff, like the Quel'danas dailies.

I would expect it's way, way higher than 600 by this point, as individual stats-bearing pieces.

(That being said, a lot of the models are shared and simply retextured.)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Image

User avatar
Robin
Cloud Giant
Posts: 1416
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:33 pm
Gender: female
Location: Netherland Groningen
Contact:

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Robin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:00 am

there is even a mythbuster edition about cloth and even paper armor, maybe interesting to look
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23190
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:07 am

Arrius Nideal wrote:
I like that Arrius. It would seem to follow the pattern of the MMO items. :D

EDIT: I don't recall your avatar before. I can't remember if I've said "Welcome to The Piazza!" yet, but welcome!
Ah, I came in here from Yuku.com. Although the other forum has more posts overall, this is more active.
For a given value of activity, of course. :roll:
Thanks for coming over. I would really like to see both forums gain more activity. :(

I think the Yuku forum has suffered from being shunted around, with users not told about the move. I see a lot of potential there, as there could be a way to discuss different types of Warcraft RPG, in different areas of the forum. That should allow people who like one part of the setting to concentrate on a specific section that they like. But I do think that, in a few areas, it is pretty hard to work out what that section of the forum is for. It kind of needs some starter topics to be pushed into those areas, to "show" people what topics they should be posting.

If I had better WoW-fu, I would try to do a bit more of that sort of stuff.

Having said that, I think it is important to enjoy the activity you have, rather than to complain about not having more. Otherwise people don't have fun. If we can all have fun talking about tabletop Warcraft...of any type, we can slowly increase the number of topics and make slowly make this place attract in a few more fans.

Right now, I'm enjoying the constructive feedback I'm getting about cloth armour. That is making my understanding of what I might want to do with WoW better than it was before, so that is very useful to me. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23190
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:13 am

Bonetti wrote:
Big Mac wrote:According to the Cloth armor randomized set article, there are nearly 60 types of cloth armour (using a item suffix naming convention). Starting with the bottom one ("Beaded <item> of the <suffix>) I see that a "Beaded Robe" can come with nine different suffixes.

So if that sort of pattern is continued, that would mean that the MMO has almost 600 types of cloth armour! :shock:
Minor nit: that list only includes the randomized drops with suffixes, so it excludes things like the gray drops (twill!), tier gear, crafted sets (which aren't randomized that low, mostly), some of the special oddballs like the blue boots from the arakkoa feather quest in Shattrath, and everything put into the game since Burning Crusade. Might even be missing later BC stuff, like the Quel'danas dailies.

I would expect it's way, way higher than 600 by this point, as individual stats-bearing pieces.

(That being said, a lot of the models are shared and simply retextured.)
I'm not really sure how to find those other things (the grey drops, tier gear, crafted sets, etc).

I'm not even sure I could put 600+ types of cloth armour into a tabletop game. I figure that lots of them would be statistically identical (or might have non-AC benefits - like a reaction bonus with a certain faction) but even if I had a hypothetical netbook that listed just the set names and AC bonuses, I could see it being pretty big.
Robin wrote:there is even a mythbuster edition about cloth and even paper armor, maybe interesting to look
That does sound like it could be very useful.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Sock Puppet
Troll
Posts: 333
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:02 pm
Gender: prefer not to say

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Sock Puppet » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:28 am

Personally, I would allow any kind of light clothing to be enchantable in the same way as actual armour, although such clothing armour wouldn't stack with actual armour (just as you can't wear +2 chain mail over +2 leather armour). Similarly, a monk could have a +3 gi (martial arts outfit).

Korea had "paper" armour, which was actually quick thick, and about as flexible as cuir boulli armour. Europe had padded armour, which again made use of a very large amount of cloth packed tightly together. See gambeson. Civilian/dress versions of brigandine (ie non-armour clothing designed to look like actual brigandine armour) may also have been the inspiration for D&D padded armour. These armours would be banned to non-armour-wearing classes.
I am Ashtagon's sock puppet account.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23190
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:53 pm

I find paper armour pretty hard to visualise. Is there anywhere, were I can find pictures of it?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Sock Puppet
Troll
Posts: 333
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:02 pm
Gender: prefer not to say

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Sock Puppet » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:06 pm

I am Ashtagon's sock puppet account.

User avatar
Bonetti
Fire Giant
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:03 am
Gender: male
Location: Garden Grove, California

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Bonetti » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:30 pm

Big Mac wrote:I'm not really sure how to find those other things (the grey drops, tier gear, crafted sets, etc).
I don't know of an easy way to look up the model sets (at least, for stuff other than the tier sets), but I seem to recall that most of the early WoW cloth armor was either the base model with a texture, or the robe model.
Big Mac wrote:I'm not even sure I could put 600+ types of cloth armour into a tabletop game. I figure that lots of them would be statistically identical (or might have non-AC benefits - like a reaction bonus with a certain faction) but even if I had a hypothetical netbook that listed just the set names and AC bonuses, I could see it being pretty big.
I think the useful part of the system (other than the per-model set looks) is the suffix system. If you wanted the "randomized drop" feel that the game has, you could have a table of "of the monkey, of the prophet, of the whale" etc., and roll at the time the person picks it up. Possibly even letting the player roll, although that has the disadvantage that the player may blame themselves for something useless. Also, since the stats vary between tabletop and MMO, you'd want to adapt the suffixes some.

Beyond that, maybe just the appearance is sort of cool. And, honestly, the idea of enchanted twill is fun. (It's not that it looked that great, there were better RP gear choices in vanilla, but it was one of the few gray drop sets that was actually a set -- it had 8 pieces, and was its own thing. There are cooler hats now.)

There were some crafted sets that got heavy use on RP servers, e.g. the black mageweave regalia.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Image

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23190
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:38 am

Thanks Ms Puppet! (Or can I call you Sock? ;) )

But is that reproduction paper armour or cloth armour?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23190
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:39 am

Bonetti wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'm not really sure how to find those other things (the grey drops, tier gear, crafted sets, etc).
I don't know of an easy way to look up the model sets (at least, for stuff other than the tier sets), but I seem to recall that most of the early WoW cloth armor was either the base model with a texture, or the robe model.
I guess that, if I wanted to make a big list, I could always add on other items later, as I discovered them.
Bonetti wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'm not even sure I could put 600+ types of cloth armour into a tabletop game. I figure that lots of them would be statistically identical (or might have non-AC benefits - like a reaction bonus with a certain faction) but even if I had a hypothetical netbook that listed just the set names and AC bonuses, I could see it being pretty big.
I think the useful part of the system (other than the per-model set looks) is the suffix system. If you wanted the "randomized drop" feel that the game has, you could have a table of "of the monkey, of the prophet, of the whale" etc., and roll at the time the person picks it up. Possibly even letting the player roll, although that has the disadvantage that the player may blame themselves for something useless. Also, since the stats vary between tabletop and MMO, you'd want to adapt the suffixes some.
A random treasure table for cloth armour (or more probably a set of random tables) is a great idea. :cool:

I guess that one thing that is a bit wonky about the "MMO drops" is that some of them bear no relation to the NPCs or monsters that you are attacking. If you kill a boar, for example, you should usually only find boar parts. (Although I guess you could find part of a hand in its stomach, that is wearing a magic ring, if it has eaten someone. :? )

So, I am guessing that cloth armour that is found after defeating enemies would mostly be stuff they are wearing and we would mostly be talking of stripping dead people naked and putting on their undamaged clothes! :shock: I suppose there could be some enemies who have spare clothes in a backpack. Maybe someone has some magical cloth armour in their backpack, and is not expecting to fight, when they meet the PCs.

If I went with that sort of feel (unless someone else can think of a better way for looting the dead to work) perhaps a group of bandits would all be wearing similar random cloth armour sets when they tried to ambush the PCs, so that the PCs could recover a few identical items from different dead NPCs.

Having looked at the system again, I do understand it better and I realise that it is optimised to single WoW MMO abilities, pairs of WoW MMO abilities, trios of WoW MMO abilities or even sets of four WoW MMO abiliites (or to secondary abilities). I never even noticed it was like that, when I was playing the MMO. (It does seem a bit overly crunchified.) I see why you say that everything would need a reboot for tabletop play.

I was really only thinking of cool names for cloth armour that had +1, +2, +3 to armour class, but if WoW: RPG tabletop had armour that did different things, that could possibly be a reason for NPCs to look out for various different types of cloth armour.
Bonetti wrote:Beyond that, maybe just the appearance is sort of cool. And, honestly, the idea of enchanted twill is fun. (It's not that it looked that great, there were better RP gear choices in vanilla, but it was one of the few gray drop sets that was actually a set -- it had 8 pieces, and was its own thing. There are cooler hats now.)
I can see something like twill being a local fashion thing. If we trace this back to the people who are creating it, then there would be people weaving twill and people enchanting that twill. According to Wikipedia's twill article, there are a number of different twill patterns, so it would be relatively easy to have a cottage industry supplying a specific weave of twill (like diamond twill) in a specific part of the world.
Bonetti wrote:There were some crafted sets that got heavy use on RP servers, e.g. the black mageweave regalia.
That does look pretty good. And "black mageweave" is a great name for a magical cloth.

I think that adding a lot of different magical (and maybe non magical) cloths, could be a way to make a tabletop world seem like it has a lot of mundane stuff going on in the background. Players wouldn't need to learn all the stuff (and GMs would not need to learn it all either) but if the PCs were looking for a group of bandits, and had a description of what some of them were wearing, that might be a way to make clothing (magical or not) more interesting. :)

One thing about this armour you linked me to, is that it is "bind when equipped" armour. That isn't something I see in regular D&D (except with cursed items). I find it harder to believe that people can pick up "bind when equipped" items, as loot, because I would expect someone who is walking around with a pair of magical boots to put them on (and therefore bind them to their body). I might start a new thread to discuss that.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Post Reply

Return to “World of Warcraft”