How does cloth armour work?

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:37 am

Here's what GURPS Low-Tech has to say about cloth armour:
In Japan, the peasant hat called a jingasa was sometimes made of several layers of rice paper (page 24), coated with lacquer. This keeps the rain off, and offers a little head protection (DR 1).

In most cases, however, what's really meant by “paper armour” is bark­cloth (see Paper and Its Cousins, page 24). Laminated bark­cloth was issued to common soldiers as cheap, disposable armour. In Korea, it was called jigap. This material is remarkably efficient at distributing impact, and its multiple layers can trap weapon points. Treat as layered cloth (page 110), except that it can catch fire if burning damage penetrates DR. See Making Things Burn (page B433); the armour material counts as resistant. −0.25 CF; weight is unchanged.

Bark­cloth can be proofed against light fire­arms by combining it with a few layers of silk. This version is TL4. Like other paper armour, it's combustible.
I suspect barkcloth could look something like the coconut-fibre armour illustrated here. Exact details would be determined more by local fashions and tailoring than by the material as such.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: How does cloth armour work?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:40 pm

Ashtagon wrote:Here's what GURPS Low-Tech has to say about cloth armour:
In Japan, the peasant hat called a jingasa was sometimes made of several layers of rice paper (page 24), coated with lacquer. This keeps the rain off, and offers a little head protection (DR 1).

In most cases, however, what's really meant by “paper armour” is bark­cloth (see Paper and Its Cousins, page 24). Laminated bark­cloth was issued to common soldiers as cheap, disposable armour. In Korea, it was called jigap. This material is remarkably efficient at distributing impact, and its multiple layers can trap weapon points. Treat as layered cloth (page 110), except that it can catch fire if burning damage penetrates DR. See Making Things Burn (page B433); the armour material counts as resistant. −0.25 CF; weight is unchanged.

Bark­cloth can be proofed against light fire­arms by combining it with a few layers of silk. This version is TL4. Like other paper armour, it's combustible.
I suspect barkcloth could look something like the coconut-fibre armour illustrated here. Exact details would be determined more by local fashions and tailoring than by the material as such.
A jingasa sounds like it could be useful...especially in Pandaria, as that seems to have a heavy Asian theme to it. I wonder if Oriental Adventures or any of the Rokugan products created for 3e D&D have a version that would be compatible with Warcraft: RPG/WoW: RPG. :? I do see a jingasa article at the L5R Wiki, but the only tabletop product that is citated is the 1e L5R book: Roleplaying in the Emerald Empire. (I don't think it would be any easier to convert from L5R to D&D than it would be to convert from GURPS to D&D.)

Barkcloth sounds really cool. According to Wikipedia's article about barkcloth there is a modern cloth, made from cotton, that looks a bit like bark, that is called barkcloth. So I can see it being a bit hard to find "real barkcloth" with other materials flooding the search results.

I do like the fact that barkcloth is cheap to make, but also vulnerable to fire. I can see that being interesting to implement as a D&D armour type. I will have to have a look at Oriental Adventures and Rokugan for that too. I'm not sure if Pandaria would have anywhere that produces barkcloth. It doesn't sound like something that might be produced in other parts of the Warcraft setting.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “World of Warcraft”