size/scale of the continents and distances

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Jumbo
Kobold

size/scale of the continents and distances

Post by Jumbo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:49 pm

Hey !

The maps in the books ( 1. edition and 2. edition ) have no scale bars and I didn't find anything about size or distances in the text.
Of course the world must be bigger as it is in the pc games. There the world is scaled down so that the players don't need to travels for hours. ( wouldn't bother me though^^ )
So how big is it ? Is there any official data ?
For example:
How much distance is between Ogrimmar and Mulgore ?
Or how many km2 has Stormwind City ?

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: size/scale of the continents and distances

Post by night_druid » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:10 pm

I'd guess at least a 1:100 WoW to actual world scale, if not much more. They do say that Azeroth/Lordaeron/Kalimdar are continents, so that would almost necessitate a minimum 1 million square miles. At the very least, I'd make each of the starting zones about the size of a good European country, probably about as big as France or Germany, if not bigger. Ogrimmar to Mulgore should be a pretty long journey, for example, necessitating places like Crossroads.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Deckenpuppel
Orc

Post by Deckenpuppel » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:56 pm

Maybe this thread helps:

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=5503

Jumbo
Kobold

Post by Jumbo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:14 pm

Thank you !
Didn't catch it on the search.^^'

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:31 am

Jumbo wrote:Hey !
Hey Jumbo! Welcome to The Piazza!
Jumbo wrote:The maps in the books ( 1. edition and 2. edition ) have no scale bars and I didn't find anything about size or distances in the text.
Of course the world must be bigger as it is in the pc games. There the world is scaled down so that the players don't need to travels for hours. ( wouldn't bother me though^^ )
It is an interesting question that I would love an answer to myself. Someone already pointed you at my topic, but I'm still not totally sure I've got an answer...or that there can be a definative answer...unless Blizzard publishes a world atlas that deviates from their MMO maps.

You already worked out the problem (and faster than I did). They just can't have people walking around in a MMO for weeks on end, to travel from one city to another. So they cheat. And most of our maps are based on the MMO maps.

(The MMO maps also cheat on the Deep Run Tram, where the train goes through a tube that is surrounded by water that it impossible to get to from the surface...from what I've been told.)
Jumbo wrote:So how big is it ? Is there any official data ?
For example:
How much distance is between Ogrimmar and Mulgore ?
Or how many km2 has Stormwind City ?
If you look around, you will see various attempts to look at this. Some people are looking at it, from the point of view of wanting to know the size of the MMO game...other people are trying to work out the size of the world the game is based around. So you need to check your sources carefully and also check the motivation of the person publishing any "research".

Here are a few interesting links: One thing I got out of my topic, was that, if I wanted to generate a tabletop map, I would make it have nations the same shape as the MMO map, but change the scale of all of the cities, towns and villages to fit in with the desired population.

I would also be tempted to upscale the towns and villages on the MMO map, to make them the "most important" ones in their areas and add in new towns and villages that fit in with the populations of the countries they are in.

But, that involves a big bunch of assumptions so everyone would probably have their own numbers for that.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Cliffrice
Troll

Post by Cliffrice » Fri May 01, 2015 7:49 am

so sailing from one side of gilneas to another takes two days. an average sailing vessel travels 6 knots so we can say that gilneas is 270 nautical miles or 310 miles across.

Working off this map
http://greywolf.critter.net/images/wow/ ... doms-A.jpg

This map is 43.5 by 33.3 Inches long

It takes around 3 one inch squares to cover the space from southern gilneas to northern gilneas meaning one inch is a hair over 100 miles

So from one side of the eastern kingdom to the other is around 3300 miles.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 01, 2015 12:37 pm

Cliffrice wrote:so sailing from one side of gilneas to another takes two days. an average sailing vessel travels 6 knots so we can say that gilneas is 270 nautical miles or 310 miles across.

Working off this map
http://greywolf.critter.net/images/wow/ ... doms-A.jpg

This map is 43.5 by 33.3 Inches long

It takes around 3 one inch squares to cover the space from southern gilneas to northern gilneas meaning one inch is a hair over 100 miles

So from one side of the eastern kingdom to the other is around 3300 miles.
Thanks Cliff.

What is your source for the two day sailing time?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Cliffrice
Troll

Post by Cliffrice » Fri May 01, 2015 3:50 pm

I seem to remember a quest that mentioned a two day sailing time from southern gilneas to northern gilneas. So from there it was just photoshop measuring.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Fri May 01, 2015 4:15 pm

That would make a suitably large world for gaming in. It would also mean that while one could use the MMO as a guide for some things, there's a whole lot of missing detail yet to be developed.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

Cliffrice
Troll

Post by Cliffrice » Fri May 01, 2015 4:50 pm

which is good for homebrews and whatnot :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed May 20, 2015 12:34 pm

Bonetti wrote:That would make a suitably large world for gaming in. It would also mean that while one could use the MMO as a guide for some things, there's a whole lot of missing detail yet to be developed.
Wasn't the general consensus before, that you could keep the general shape of Azerot's lands, but that you would need to insert other cities, towns and villages, in order to get the tabletop world to fit in with how a real society works?

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Thu May 28, 2015 11:52 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Bonetti wrote:That would make a suitably large world for gaming in. It would also mean that while one could use the MMO as a guide for some things, there's a whole lot of missing detail yet to be developed.
Wasn't the general consensus before, that you could keep the general shape of Azerot's lands, but that you would need to insert other cities, towns and villages, in order to get the tabletop world to fit in with how a real society works?
I think we're saying the same thing :-)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:18 am

Bonetti wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
I think we're saying the same thing :-)
:D

You know, if I had the time to focus more on World of Warcraft...

...and I knew the campaign setting a lot better...

...and there were plenty of volunteers to help propose details of new communities...

...I would love to talk to Anna Meyer (who made the 3D map of Greyhawk) about how much it would cost to hire her to build a new fanon map that worked better for tabletop gaming. :)

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:54 pm

That would be a grand project.

I could help propose details for new communities, and have passable knowledge with Azeroth. If you would talk to Anna Meyer to see what is needed from our end, that'll be great.

Mcgeneral
Goblin

Post by Mcgeneral » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:11 pm

Sounds great!, especially combined with the 5e project from Arrius Nideal and DJmove it would be a fanmade 5e version of WoWRPG including maps. I would definetely volunteer to help.

Deckenpuppel
Orc

Post by Deckenpuppel » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:49 pm

I certainly would be willing to participate as well, even without it ending up as a 3D map rather than 'just' as a random sourcebook.

Return to “World of Warcraft”