[adventure] Twilight's Fall

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[adventure] Twilight's Fall

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:37 pm

I posted this topic over at Xander212' forums, but thought I would crosspost it over here too.:
Big Mac at Xander212's WoW: RPG forums wrote:Twilight's Fall is an adventure (more of an adventure hook really) on page 9 of Lands of Mystery.

It is set in Astrannar, the capital city of Ashenvale in North Kalimdor and the PCs meet up with a knight who wants to vanquish the Twilight's Hammer and naga in Blackfathom Deeps.

Has anyone ever done anything with this adventure hook (like try to use material from the MMO to flesh it out)?
The Wowpedia article for Blackfathom Deeps has three maps, showing different areas of the dungeon: I can't quite work out how these three maps fit together, and the article also lists six subzones (not three) within Blackfathom Deeps: I'm not sure how the other three subzones fit into the MMO maps. I can't tell if the maps actually show two subzones each or if there are areas that don't have maps on that article.

This area was modified in MMO patch 6.0.2, and Wowpedia also has an article about the original Blackfathom Deeps setup.

I don't see any information about the knight from the Lands of Mystery adventure (or his partner), but there are plenty of NPCs listed in the old and new articles for Blackfathom Deeps and I think that some of them might be raidable for tabletop play.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Re: [adventure] Twilight's Fall

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:42 pm

Using WoW's maps for the tabletop game?

Man, I never thought of that before--even when it seems so simple.
/selfslap

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:46 am

Arrius Nideal wrote:Using WoW's maps for the tabletop game?

Man, I never thought of that before--even when it seems so simple.
/selfslap
I've been talking about raiding various ideas from the MMO since before there was enough topics for a World of Warcraft forum at The Piazza. If you have a look at the older topics here, you will see some discussions you might be interested to read. They are mostly a look at one particular element of the MMO and the pros and cons of trying to include that specific element as an element in a tabletop game. (Feel free to bump any old discussions you want to restart. Most, if not all of us, are still here.)

I've actually bought the World of Warcraft Atlas and the World of Warcraft Dungeon Companion cheap, in a charity shop, so that I could flip through some of the global maps and dungeon maps away from my computer. (I did get advised before I bought them that there were better maps online, but I figured that the printing costs, for good maps, would be more than the price I paid for these books.)

The main issue with using the MMO maps for tabletop play seems to be that the MMO gameworld is designed significantly smaller than a real planet, so that players don't spend eons having their characters walk around. I used to play the WoW: MMO (that is part of the reason I became interested in the tabletop version of the game) and I got bored with the time taken walking from place to place at times.

So the tabletop game needs cities to be bigger, areas between cities to have more towns and villages added and the world itself needs to expand, so that countries can be the size that countries need to be. But it is possible that smaller elements, like the floorplans for Blackfathom Deeps, are much more acceptable for tabletop play. And that would mean that these maps...and the MMO quests and the MMO monsters and other items in Blackfathom Deeps, could be raided from the computer game and converted over for tabletop play. That could be a fairly easy way to get the Twilight's Fall adventure hook and add a lot more detail to it (detail that feels right because it was designed by Blizzard).

Anyhoo, my turn for a /selfslap, as I forgot to look in my World of Warcraft Dungeon Companion to see if there was a section on Blackfathom Deeps. :facepalm:

There is actually a 10 page section, on pages 38-47. It's a guide to playing the MMO dungeon, but I think a lot of it could be reverse-engineered to give a GM advice on placing monsters and stuff like "Sapphires of Aku'mai". There are some maps in the book, that make a lot more sense than the three maps above, but are still not totally clear to me. I also see five Alliance MMO quests, four Horde MMO quests and two shared MMO quests listed in the book. One of the Alliance MMO quests has a very similar name to the tabletop adventure hook name (Twilight Falls).

The Twilight Falls MMO quest does not start in Astrannar (which Wowpedia suggests is actually spelled Astranaar). So it looks like the Quest Giver for that MMO quest is not the same NPC as the unnamed knight in the tabletop adventure hook. :( But there is obviously a similar theme to that quest. You used to be able to collect Twilight Pendants to complete the Twilight Falls MMO quest. (Originally you needed 10, but that was reduced to 3.)

I did also stumble onto an online map ofBlackfathom Deeps at the World of Warcraft section of Video Game Maps. That maps is pretty awesome, although there are some pictures and "how to beat the MMO" text on it, that I would probably have preferred to not be there, if I was making a map for a tabletop game.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 01, 2015 1:05 pm

Arrius Nideal wrote:Thank you so much for that link! I will use this after editing for sure.
If you can make better sense of that stuff, I'd love to see what you come up with.

Return to “World of Warcraft”