Heroes of the Storm concept for Tabletop?

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.

Heroes of the Storm concept for Tabletop?

Postby Havard » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:43 pm

In Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm, characters from World of Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo are pitted against oneanother in a battle arena type game. I have no interest in the online game, but I do like setting mashups. I don't know if the game offers any kind of story explanation to why characters from these worlds can suddenly meet up and fight, but I am sure something could be worked out for a Tabletop RPG?

What do you think?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Heroes of the Storm concept for Tabletop?

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:03 pm

Havard wrote:What do you think?
Perhaps the arena is a pocket plane, accessible through planar portals or even a lesser gate type spell? Those that enter the arena plane perhaps shouldn't be allowed to cross-over into other settings (unless the GM wants them to) and the sole gate on this plane recognizes their attunement to their homeworld and deposits them back there (maybe specifically to the spot that they left the world from) upon exiting. If the GM wants to allow characters from settings cross over into other settings, perhaps a minor [disposable] magic item could be used to have the portal deposit them elsewhere in the multiverse.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:33 pm

Havard wrote:In Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm, characters from World of Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo are pitted against oneanother in a battle arena type game.

I have never heard of Heroes of the Storm.

There are websites that discuss the individual games. Do you know of website similar to Wowpedia or Throttbot that gives details about Heroes of the Storm?

Havard wrote:I have no interest in the online game, but I do like setting mashups. I don't know if the game offers any kind of story explanation to why characters from these worlds can suddenly meet up and fight, but I am sure something could be worked out for a Tabletop RPG?

What do you think?

I really need more details to form an opinion.

If the game is semi-satirical, and the Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo is not recognised as "canon" by the individual games, there might not be much there to raid for a tabletop game. But if Blizzard have "officially" linked all three gameworlds together, then I presume they would have to have some sort of transitive mechanism to take characters out of their own worlds and off to the Heroes of the Storm environment.

That could mean that Heroes of the Storm is something that has the same function as Planescape or Spelljammer.

If it is something like that, I'd like to know how it works.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Ivellius » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:26 pm

They're nebulously linked by "the Nexus"--an interdimensional space that connects all of Blizzard's universes. Having said that, it's basically an excuse plot and the events of Heroes of the Storm wouldn't be considered canonical in the original realms.

Thing is, the Nexus is comprised of several different worlds in which basically the only thing these characters have to do is fight one another, but...you know, I could see a light-hearted campaign making use of characters from across these different realms.
Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Return to World of Warcraft