Warcraft RPG 5th Edition...

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.

Re: Warcraft RPG 5th Edition...

Postby Big Mac » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:48 pm

vyrdrokk42 wrote:I just want to say that this project looks amazing from what I can see - unfortunately, I can't see very much. I tried multiple times to open the link to the file from both the signature and the link on the main information page. Is there a way that you could post an unshortened link or a link straight to a PDF? I would really like to try out what you've created.

Welcome to The Piazza Vyrdrokk42 (and everyone else who signed up to post encouraging comments). You might want to pop over to the Introduce yourself here topic and say a bit about yourself.

I actually tried grabbing the link, but I don't get a PDF link. Instead I get some sort of editing link, that actually seems to let me modify the document.

Hopefully Arrius Nideal can post a non-editing link.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Arrius Nideal » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:16 am

3,000 clicks on the main (editable) document!

Here is a PDF link. It's faster in loading, non-editable, and more easily downloadable. However the format isn't so hot.
If anyone has any mad editing skills to make the document more organized (or pretty), I'm all for it.

[url=goo.gl/3lqNvk]PDF Link[/url]
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby Arrius Nideal » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:50 pm

It seems the PDF link doesn't work.

I'll address that at due time. At any rate, to make the core document easier to access, I've removed monsters and added them to a separate monster manual. This also makes adding more monsters easier, and navigation as well.

Version 2.0 is coming out soon. Lightslayers, balancing, and much more druid spells incoming.

Cheers!
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby Arrius Nideal » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:23 pm

November 28 (2.0) added: added spell interruption mechanic (expanded 5e rule to all casting), standardized aura/shout effects, switched arms warrior abilities (bladestorm and bloodthirst strike exchanged places), added emergency mana-restoration effects for mages, priests, warlocks, and shamans. Added Lightslayer archetype, and added or modified 16 spells.

An update to the monster manual is coming soon with 18 additional monsters.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby fitsou » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:50 pm

Hi Guys.

when I first found this post I was so happy! Actually today i'm gonna have my first meeting with my players to roll their characters.

And now this is where everything goes wrong.. I started reading it more carefully and I found countless typos and formatting errors.

The page setup is made with the classic RPG books way, 2 columns in each page, but in some pages the column from page X column 1 continues to page Y column 1, then goes to page X column 2... (example page 7 & 8)
Also i found sentences that i cannot place ANYWHERE near them...

I started reading it 2 hours ago and I have spent those hours trying to fix those errors.

I don't want to be a buzz kill and I definitely do not want erase all the work you've put here, but at this stage, at least for me, this is unplayable.

ps. i will try to give it a try and fix it cause i really want to GM and play a WoW Campaign, just hope your work at the mechanics and the rules worth this work.

fitsou
Goblin

Postby fitsou » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:35 pm

My work in fixing this mess of doc files still continues. (Hopefully I'll finish the Races and Classes today)

I will posting issues I'm finding along the way.

First and foremost I will delete the mana system, DMG have a Variant that works (in original 5th Campaigns) Perfectly.
This means that some tuning will be required to some spell and abilities (EX Lay on Hands).

Lastly for this post I found an error in the Prist Class section.
Priest in his 1st lvl gains the Unarmored Defense witch gives the Priest AC=10+AGI+SPI modifiers.

At Discipline Priesthood he gains the same effect again, only this time its called Wisdom in the Flesh.
fitsou
Goblin

Postby fitsou » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:44 pm

What this means??????

Gadget 100 x (SL ^ 2) As potions

What the ^ stands for? is exponentiation?

Why did you do so complicated Rules? just why?
fitsou
Goblin

Postby Angelika Tatsu » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:39 pm

^ 2 = to the second power.
In morte veritá.

Projects: Erath (TBD), Sundered Realms
Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Postby fitsou » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:45 pm

Angelika Tatsu wrote:^ 2 = to the second power.

I cannot understand how this works. care to make an example please?
fitsou
Goblin

Postby Angelika Tatsu » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:56 pm

fitsou wrote:
Angelika Tatsu wrote:^ 2 = to the second power.

I cannot understand how this works. care to make an example please?

The exponent of a number says how many times to use the number in a multiplication.

In 8^ 2 the "2" says to use 8 twice in a multiplication,
so 8^ 2 = 8 × 8 = 64

In words: 8^ 2 could be called "8 to the power 2" or "8 to the second power", or simply "8 squared"
In morte veritá.

Projects: Erath (TBD), Sundered Realms
Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Postby Arrius Nideal » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:06 pm

@fitsou:

Thanks for your comments! I do hope the rules and systems are worth it; they've been bounced between other fans. :)
You've addressed several problems indeed present in the document (mostly regarding presentation).
Please point at the pages with these errors (or create a comment that tags them with 'bad format') so I may address it. Since this is an ongoing project, there is also ongoing fixes.

Regarding other cases.
@Mana system: Unfortunately there is a problem with the DMG's mana system. It is not easy to port (as the current mana system is) and requires the caster to juggle huge amounts of spell points (upwards to 100!), and is recycled from its 3.5 version (which has the same problems). I believe that the current mana system in the document is good enough for the conversion.

@Priests/Class abilities: Thank you for pointing that out. That will be addressed.

@Exponents: Exponents help make a heavier cost curve than normal multiplication. Otherwise, vehicles would be too cheap for the assumed wealth model.

Again, please note any inconsistency or problem in the original document so I may address it. After all, this is a community project.

On a minor note, I am currently GMing a game on the RPGCrossing website (https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14725) and have a separate monster manual and adventuring hooks page. The monster manual is not fully polished, but the adventuring hooks page has several community-generated ideas.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby Arrius Nideal » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:29 pm

Added fix 2.0.2 patch.

December 20 (2.0.2): Fixed general formatting, Arcane Shot, Blessing of Kings, Death Grip, Death Pact, Denounce, Drain Life, Earthbind, Earth Shield, Lightning Shield, allowed Lightning Bolt to also replicate Chain Lightning, and made elemental Shock cost less mana. Improved Tauren’s Plainswalker, Warlock’s Soul Shard, Warrior’s Howl, added Kalimag to shamans (elemental tongue), and removed outdated references to Paladins’ Crusader Aura.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby fitsou » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:06 am

@ Arrius Thanks for the reply.
with a very quick look the serious errors in formatting are fixed. but the formatting is still problematic. look pages 39,40 in some cases you have 2 columns formatting in others you dont, but you have the space in the left side of the page.

I have fixed the v2.0 with no columns separation for my personal use. I haven't post it public out of respect to your work.
I would suggest to drop it as an idea or at least point one team member the final editor, who will be responsible in fixing the "shape" of the document before you make it public.

as with the Mana system I see your point. but as I said the current system is complicated in an edition that the whole idea was the simplicity! with a system like that you cancel the whole idea of 5th. in that issue i'm willing to help to make the transaction.

@Exponents: i again understand the reason, but again you add complexity to a system that shouldn't have. Since the Campaign has a specific amount of vehicles,mechas etc. put a fix value. a Mecha cost X amount of Gold. If you put this, or that add on put another Y Gold to the price.

I haven't have a change to read your Campaign yet, put from a couple of post i read i found it interesting. This Friday i will begin mine.
and as a matter of fact I would like your opinion on my main idea.
I was thinking what era would be best for my players to play and I could not decide... So many Lore, so many stories... So what if they went to all of them?
The Infinite dragonflights after the Kairozdormu death from hellscream are nowhere to be found.. What if another force took control over them and sent them again to mess with time. and what a perfect time to do so during the latest Burning Legion attempt to conquer Azeroth again.
fitsou
Goblin

Postby Arrius Nideal » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:09 pm

I've addressed the pages in question. If you find any other, don't hesitate to point them out.

Regarding column separations: Originally the document was designed linearly and without columns, but it evolved in response to several comments. However, I am no professional editor, so things do slip. :/ It seems that reverting back is a better idea overall.

When it comes to general presentation and layout, I regret that the project does not have anyone who has the skill set necessary to pull this out.

@Mana: You're right in 5e wishing to become simple. However, the DMG's spell point system is as complex (and more, requiring referencing instead of easy formulae). Since game balance is a concern and the mana system worked for me, I presented it to work for everyone else.

@Exponents: This is a side effect of the engineering system being ultra-modular. Since every construct can become a vehicle, exponents were required to allow the player to come up with new potential vehicles whenever they saw a new construct's statistics sheet.
That being said, exponents could be changed into something simpler.

@Game Plot: The Infinite Dragonflight is a fine way to see a witness a lot of events and visit many eras. Generally, most campaigns (and by most, I mean the ~5 I've seen so far) mostly work in the vanilla/BC timeline. Personally, my Legacies game is on Warcraft III's timeline with potential to drift off the rails.
If you want to go over the IDragonflight idea, you could structure the story as a series of 3-encounter campaigns (or one shots) that form a cohesive story.

For example: The heroes are invited (or come across) into a time vortex and find a character tampering with it. Each session, the character (let's call him Mezzormu for now) visits a different era and tries to change something in the timeline that would have dire consequences (sully the Sunwell, assassinate Blackhand, prevent Arthas from reaching Icecrown, etc.) and the characters must fight to prevent it.
In essence, similar to the current instances in the Cavern of Time.

That is if you want to mess with time. However, a pirate campaign, palace intrigue game, or exploration works fine in Warcraft. If anything, it has a lot of themes in one small world.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby biapolis » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:10 am

So, this is really cool, but I noticed something odd about Monks. Specifically, Mistweavers. They can't actually fill their role until 6th level, at least not naturally. Waiting till 3rd would be one thing, but waiting till mid game to be able to do what should be your primary duty?
biapolis
Goblin

Postby fitsou » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:40 pm

Hi again.

the spells in this project replaces entirely the spells in the phb or players choose spells from both?
fitsou
Goblin

Postby Arrius Nideal » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:01 pm

@Monks: Very good point. I'll review the current design of monk archetypes to spice up and switch how soon abilities activate to compensate and move the 6th level abilities up to 3rd level.

@Fitsou: Players can choose from both. Some abilities in this conversion change existing spells (lightning bolt in this conversion, for example, can chain at level 3, but do less damage).

Update 2.1
The upcoming update arrives with a few more shaman and druid spells and the Orcish Shaman (Raging Shaman) archetype. We've covered most of the bases regarding classes and archetypes, but remain open to new ideas. What in the Warcraft universe is not represented in the conversion yet?
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby fitsou » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:10 pm

Maybe add more monsters.
fitsou
Goblin

Postby fitsou » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi again.
i've made some comments in Google Drive about some errors I found.

I downloaded the new version (2.0.5) and the page setup looks like this.

and i found another one (see the google driver comments). i think this is the final nail in the 2 columns coffin...
fitsou
Goblin

Postby fitsou » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:24 pm

One quick question, the Paladin Lay on Hands says he can expend 50% of his Mana. this is his current mana or his full?
fitsou
Goblin

Postby Arrius Nideal » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:58 pm

Monsters are supposedly next. Trying to finish the rest of the orcish horde base troops and alliance heroes. Haven't even started with the sentinels. XD

@Page setup: That's because of comments. Otherwise, the extra space will be cut. I'll revise the document on the earliest opportunity.

@Lay on Hands: Half maximum mana (recalculate whenever mana changes). I'll make it clearer with the next update.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby fitsou » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:24 pm

im willing to help in the text formating, if you need the extra hands
fitsou
Goblin

Postby fitsou » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:44 pm

I want to ask one question.
in the Seal of Light it says at the Heightened section: At 4th level, you may double the value of healing....

this is the paladins level or the when he gain caster level 4 (8th Pala lvls) ?? the later sound more correct but need i clarification.
fitsou
Goblin

PreviousNext

Return to World of Warcraft