Warcraft RPG 5th Edition...

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Re: Warcraft RPG 5th Edition...

Post by Arrius Nideal » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:42 am

They work fine, but consider buffs to spells, such as Acid Arrow (now Shadowstrike), Cure Wounds now harming undead, Inflict Wounds dealing the reverse effect of Cure Wounds, and anything else that is specified under Changes to Spells.

Wolfx
Goblin

Post by Wolfx » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:17 pm

Sorry to keep changing things up. A member of my group was looking at this thread and saw your Pathfinder conversion. We just finished a Pathfinder campaign so my group figured this would work great since they are familiar with the rules. Is there anything missing from the conversion that i should be aware of.

I did post a question over in that thread as well

Thanks again

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:45 pm

My post was to assist and provide some groundwork conversion on Pagnabros' own work.
It is not complete.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:22 pm

Update:
I've received a comment regarding the shaman.

Here is my answer: The Shaman is basically the Priest class.
I will break up the current Shamanism domain into three domains and add more abilities for Enhancement/Elemental/Restoration, but require some feedback should I start the initial effort.
I admit the following: I have never played a Shaman in World of Warcraft, and have no idea how they work and run. I will do my own research, but any aid in getting mechanical suggestions will help lighten the load.

With the release of the shaman archetypes, the rules will enter Patch 1.5, and will stop being in its beta phase.

Edit: The core Shaman class has been released.
Shaman
Commanding chaotic and conflicting elements, a shaman is a force that hears the world tremble and directs its wrath. Communicating with spirits of flame, winds, and stone, shamans channel the power of the storm, earth, and fire to their will. They are commonly found in the Horde, representing the spiritual renewal and development of the orcish people, but the art can also be found amongst the Tauren, few dwarves and goblins, and even the strange alien folk called the Draenei. A shaman’s holy symbol is a small ancestral relic or totem of bone, wood, or iron that can be carried in one’s hand.
The elements are chaotic, and left to their own devices, they rage against one another in unending primal fury. It is the call of the shaman to bring balance to this chaos. Acting as moderators among earth, fire, water, and air, shaman summon totems that focus the elements to support the shaman’s allies or punish those who threaten them.
The shamans of Azeroth function identically as base priests in terms of spell lists, except with the following changes. They modify Turn and Destroy Undead. They may also add all totem and shaman spells to their spell list.
Channel Divinity. Turn Elementals. As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer dismissing and quelling elementals. Each elemental that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Spirit saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.
A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.
Channel Divinity. Command Elemental. When an elemental fails its saving throw against your Turn Elemental feature, you may spend a Channel Divinity attempt to also command it to become friendly to you. This acts as if the creature is charmed by you for all intents and purposes.
Destroy Elementals. Starting at 5th level, when an elemental fails its saving throw against your Turn Elemental feature, the creature is instantly destroyed or dispelled if its challenge rating is at or below a certain threshold, as shown in the Destroy Elemental table. This ability only functions when you declare your intention to destroy or dispel it.
Destroy Elemental
Shaman Level Destroys Elemental of CR
5th 1/2 or lower
8th 1 or lower
11th 2 or lower
14th 3 or lower
17th 4 or lower
Note. This power is a secret art known to shamans, and is typically only used against elementals that are corrupted by fel energies.
Shamanistic Arts
An Azerothian shaman may choose one of the three following shamanistic arts at level 3.

Elemental
The elemental art focuses on empowering the shaman’s ability to command the elements to harm their enemies at long ranges, and gains command over the elements and elementals.
Elemental Art
Domain Spells
1st Fog Cloud, Thunderstorm
3rd Animal Messenger (takes the form of an animal spirit), Gust of Wind
5th Call Lightning, Conjure Elemental
7th Control Water, Ice Storm
9th Destructive Wave, Earthquake
Elemental Mastery. Starting at 1st level, you may change any elemental damage type dealt by your spells to another type, but only if they deal one of the following: Cold, Electricity, Fire, and Thunder.
Acclimation. Also at 1st level, you are also immune to the hostile effects of weather, and can predict it accurately 24 hours in advance 50% of the time with an action.
Channel Divinity. Wrath. At 6th level, you can use your Channel Divinity to wield the power of the elements with unchecked ferocity. When you roll for any type of damage that is either cold, electricity, fire, or thunder, you can use a Channel Divinity attempt to deal maximum damage instead.
Bonded Elemental. Starting at 8th level, you may conjure an elemental and render its duration permanent. If the elemental dies, you can perform the ritual again to summon another. This elemental does not require concentration to maintain, but acts as normal as per the Conjure Elemental spell.
Elemental Storm. When you reach level 15, you gain the ability to summon a thunderstorm, snowstorm, or firestorm at your location. The earth is blanketed by a 5-mile radius centered on you for one hour. This otherwise acts as control weather, and takes 10 minutes to cast as normal. However, so long as the elemental storm is active, you may also use an action to cause a 10-foot wide cylinder of elemental wrath that deals 10d6 damage (thunder, electricity, cold, or fire, depending on the storm type). The range of this ability is as far as you can see within the radius, and the affected creatures are entitled an Agility saving throw to half damage.
Whenever you call the elemental cylinder, the dice damage is reduced by 2d6. When they reach 0d6, the storm ends prematurely (even if maintaining concentration), as the elemental spirits become calmer.

Enhancement
The enhancement art focuses on empowering the shaman’s ability to command the elements to harm their enemies, and gains increased proficiency in melee combat.
Enhancement Art
Domain Spells
1st Stasis Trap, Elemental Shock
3rd Animal Messenger (takes the form of an animal spirit), See Invisibility
5th Revivify, Bloodlust
7th Death Ward, Locate Creature
9th Windfury Totem, Mass Cure Wounds
Bonus Proficiencies. At 1st level, you gain proficiency with martial weapons and heavy armor.
Elemental Command. Also at 1st level, you gain increased proficiency and command over the elements. You may perform any of the following abilities a number of times equal to your Spirit modifier. All such uses are restored after a rest. Uses of different commands count against the overall maximum.
Command the Storm. When a creature within 5 feet of you that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to cause the creature to make an Agility saving throw. The creature takes 2d8 lightning or thunder damage (your choice) on a failed saving throw, and half as much damage on a successful one.
Command the Earth. You may send a tremor through the earth as a bonus action, unbalancing your enemies. In a 30-foot-sphere centered on you, you may send a shockwave, dealing 2d6 + your Spirit modifier in bludgeoning damage, with an Agility saving throw to half damage. You may instead shape this as a 15-foot-long cone, or a 30-foot-long line. If you are also a Tauren, you may add the number of times you may use War Stomp to the total number of times you may use this ability.
Command the Flame. You add the Firebolt cantrip and fireball spell to your list of spells. You may also cast either as a bonus action.
Channel Divinity. Elemental Strike. At 6th level, when you deal damage with a melee weapon to a target, you may use your bonus action to cast a damaging cantrip on the target as a bonus action. If you successfully affect the target with both the spell and the melee attack, you may push the creature up to 10 feet away, so long as it is not larger than Large. If the cantrip pushes the enemy, the forced movement does not stack.
Flurry. Starting at 8th level, when you take an action to attack, you can attack twice instead of once.
Spirit Wolves. Starting at 17th level, you can summon two spirit dire wolves as an action, which take their turns immediately after yours, and dissipate after 1 minute and do not require concentration. During this time if they are within 10 feet of you, your movement speed increases to match their own. After using this feature, you must finish a long rest before you can use it again.

Restoration
The restoration art focuses on empowering the shaman’s ability to heal their allies and empower their totems.
Restoration Art
Domain Spells

1st Cure Wounds, Healing Ward
3rd Animal Messenger (takes the form of an animal spirit), Totemic Recall
5th Revivify, Healing Stream
7th Death Ward, Spirit Link Totem
9th Healing Stream Totem, Mass Cure Wounds
Ancestral Blessing. At 1st level, whenever you heal a creature, you add your Spirit modifier to the total amount of healing given.
Elusive Totems. Also at 1st level, you may move your totems up to half your own speed as a reaction. This cannot interrupt an attack. You also increase their hit points by your level (to a total of three times your level). Totems also gain the benefit of evasion.
Channel Divinity. Life-Link. Starting at 6th level, you may use an action to replicate the effects of a Spirit Link spell, though whenever a creature is healed, the healing is also distributed as well. This is a concentration effect that may be used at the same time as a Spirit Link spell.
Purge. At 8th level, when you touch any creature, you replicate the effects of Dispel Magic. This may be used once per day per point of Spirit modifier (minimum 1). To unwilling targets, this must be a melee spell attack.
Also, whenever you dispel any number of magical effects, the target’s speed is reduced by 10 for until the beginning of their next round.
Totec Mastery. Starting at 17th level, you may activate two totems with the same reaction, and may use Purge at a range of 30 feet. You may also target totems with the Spirit Link spell.

Wolfx
Goblin

Post by Wolfx » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:46 pm

After another round of discussion we are looking at the 5E version since they have determined you were correct about the potential issues with Pathfinder. One of my players was wanting to play a Blood Elf. Does anyone have a 5E version of them?

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:50 pm

I see. Any details?

As to the blood elf, the 5e High Elf works fine, except that you need only change the following line:
"During your use of Detect Magic, your eyes glow blue. "
Into
"During your use of Detect Magic, your eyes glow green with fel magic. "
And you get yourself a blood elf.

By the way, Wolfx, I would be interested if you ever wanted to post a campaign journal thread. I will be able to improve the game rules by observing the results and comments.

Wolfx
Goblin

Post by Wolfx » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:52 pm

Arrius Nideal wrote:I see. Any details?

As to the blood elf, the 5e High Elf works fine, except that you need only change the following line:
"During your use of Detect Magic, your eyes glow blue. "
Into
"During your use of Detect Magic, your eyes glow green with fel magic. "
And you get yourself a blood elf.

By the way, Wolfx, I would be interested if you ever wanted to post a campaign journal thread. I will be able to improve the game rules by observing the results and comments.
This was your original quote which really did apply to both 3.5 & Pathfinder.
"You mean 3.5, I presume.
Sure.
Wealth per Level is a concern: the game is balanced with most of 3.5's assumptions such as bonuses to attributes being pretty much required, magical arms and armor, etc.
There are weaknesses in the 3.5 official game, such as the unwieldy engineering system and magic spells' balance being out of whack.
Many prestige classes are inefficient and not worth investment. Some feats are traps, and play in 3.5 is much slower than in 5e, especially at higher levels, where the game starts to break down due to lack of mathematical foresight.

Pathfinder has backwards compatibility with 3.5, so you can use the documents I put up for conversion to Pathfinder. In the documents, I have moved all feats, spells, and classes into google docs for convenience and ease of finding, and provided some balancing errata.
That said, this is Pathfinder, not 3.5, so there are some changes, such as Combat Maneuver Offense and Combat Maneuver Defense for maneuvers,""

When looking at it we just decided to go with the 5E ruleset since we have been playing in it and really like the player friendly feel it as.

Thanks for the help with the Blood Elf. That makes it very easy.

Once I get the campaign ready (beginning of the year) I would have no problem doing a campaign journal. Do you have a suggestion of where I would post it?

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:00 am

Sometimes it hurts being right. At any rate, 5e avoids most of these problems.
Once I get the campaign ready (beginning of the year) I would have no problem doing a campaign journal. Do you have a suggestion of where I would post it?
Sure: right here. Not in this thread, of course, but in the World of Warcraft Piazza parent thread. It seems to be a horde game, right?

Wolfx
Goblin

Post by Wolfx » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:00 pm

Arrius Nideal wrote:Sometimes it hurts being right. At any rate, 5e avoids most of these problems.
Sure: right here. Not in this thread, of course, but in the World of Warcraft Piazza parent thread. It seems to be a horde game, right?
5E definitely looks like it will work the best, thanks again for the conversion. I noticed that there aren't spells listed for the level 7 domain spells under the Shadow Priesthood.

So far my group wants to play more of a merc style campaign so all the races are allowed. I will start posting once I get the campaign more finalized.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:48 pm

In truth, any psychic-damaging spells will serve fine until I plug in the official spells.
As official as a fan conversion could be anyway.

At any rate, I am open to ideas for new spells. I've plugged in the most common spells so far, but I'm sure I missed a few.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:04 am

Update: Patch 1.4.5 Released.
Changes:
* Tinker is now a base class instead of a rogue archetype. It also has three paths: Bomber, Gunner, and Gadgeteer. The details are in the online file.
* Update to engineering system: Malfunction rate and activation DC of all devices now increases with the increase of device level. Device level is equal to engineering points invested in device.
* General organizational cleanup.

Next few patches will be concerned with adding new devices and hopefully completing the monster manual.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Minor patch-ups before the release of 1.5.

But before the work is finalized: what should have priority in the next steps of the conversion?
1. New monsters from Warcraft lore (bosses, creatures, etc.)
2. More spells (so far, there are few stance and invigorate spells)
3. More magical items (artifacts like Frostmourne and Ashbringer or armor sets)
4. Monk class
5. More engineering goodness

Edit: Also celebrating nearly 150 clicks on the conversion document. Thanks everyone!

Wolfx
Goblin

Post by Wolfx » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:05 pm

My personnel request would be in the following order Monk class, engineering goodness, More spells, new monsters then more magical items.

I'm biased in that one of my players wants to play a monk :)

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:00 am

Update: Patch 1.5 Released,

Classes: Monk class enters the brawl, now with a focus on stances and staying still to gain several bonuses, and a mini-mechanic for brewing and consuming brews (alcohol, tea, etc.) for long-term passive effects.
Spells: Renamed the Silencer spell (single-target silence) to Mute to differentiate better.
Various other fixes and organizational edits.

As always, link to the document is in the signature.

Next, Patch 1.6: More spells and engineered items.

Wolfx
Goblin

Post by Wolfx » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:30 pm

Thank you very much. My current Monk player will be very happy

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:05 am

Great to hear it!

Minor Update: 1.5.5
Altered the mana system a bit, giving more ways to regain mana, with a special mechanic: Magical Vampirism. With this mechanic, a creature with mana can drink up to one-half a dead or helpless creature's mana. If helpless but not dead, the creature gets an opposed save to negate this effect.
Ever wondered how blood elves siphon mana? It's not only the drain mana spell anymore: everyone can do it, although it takes mana to start with (which, due to their racial abilities, high elves/blood elves start out with naturally). It also has...unforeseen effects.
You might turn into a mana-zombie.

Also buffed up the Paladin's Lay on Hands: it now grants hit points equal to the paladin's proficiency bonus per mana point spent, scaling better into higher levels.
Also patched up the language on several effects and the engineering effects.

On a happy side note, the document has over 200 clicks so far.
Maybe we should explore hiring someone to put it in PDF or a more formal format.

Proudpapawood
Goblin

Post by Proudpapawood » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:37 pm

I had to create an account here to let you know how awesome your project is and to encourage you to keep up the great work. My group is going to be transitioning into the realm of Azeroth and will let you know how it goes :D

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:11 pm

Thanks, Proudpapa,

If you ever consider making a campaign log or journal on this forum, I'll be delighted to read up on your adventures!

Proudpapawood
Goblin

Post by Proudpapawood » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:32 pm

I'll have to give it a shot Arrius - one thing that I could use some clarification on. I'm working on converting my party into a Warcraft friendly one, and I don't think I quite understand how mana works. I get how you calculate total mana pool, but I don't get the spell cost. Chapter 6 says base cost is "6 mana + spell level. This is deducted from the mana pool, to a minimum of 0 mana for any given spell. Therefore, the higher the spellcaster's level, the lower the mana cost for their spells become."

How I read that is my lvl 5 Mage has a Spirit of 16 so a base mana pool of 19. If he casts Arcane Explosion (2nd level) the cost is 6+2. If he was a lvl 10 Mage his base mana pool might now be 21, but that second level spell would still cost 8 right?

What really confused me was the next line about 0 level spells (which I assumed to mean cantrips). " 0-level spells have a base cost of 3 mana, or 6 - spell level (whichever is lower, minimum 1)."

I think I'm just missing something here so if you could point me in the right direction that would be great, because I couldn't figure out a time when a 0 level spell would ever be less than 3 since 6 - spell level is 6. Thanks again for all your hard work on this.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:31 pm

I've released a minor update to dispel the unclear aspects in the mana sytem.

Minor Update: Jan 28: Patch 1.5.9 released.
Cleaned up mana system, and several spells. Added new debilitate spell (Mind Blast), and high elves gain +2 additional mana. Also added magical vampirism, and arcane addiction optional rule.
Every character has a pool of mana points, although they can only suffer from mana depletion penalties and be eligible targets for mana-manipulating effects if they are spellcasters or otherwise use mana.
Mana points allow for a caster to fuel their magical abilities. Casters can regain mana through a variety of ways, and can lose them through others. Spellcasters must still use spell slots to prepare how many spells they have ready, though mana is the only cost for spellcasting. Casting a spell from a higher-level spell slot consumes 1 point of mana higher than normal per spell slot.
Mana Pool. A character has mana points equal to their highest mental attribute score, plus their Proficiency bonus. If the character is also a spellcaster, their relevant spellcasting attribute is chosen instead. If a character has multiple spellcasting classes, their chosen spellcasting progression determines the spellcasting attribute (Spirit for Priests, Intelligence for Wizards, etc.)
Spell Cost. Every spell costs mana points equal to the spell level + base spell cost. For this purpose, 0-level spells cost half the mana of a 1st level spell (minimum 1).
Base spell cost. The base spell cost is a number of mana points equal to 6 - Proficiency bonus. Some spells and effects reduce base spell cost.
Casting Spells. Using a higher-level spell slot for a lower-level spell always counts the effective spell level to determine spell cost. Any effect that requires the expenditure of a spell slot instead expends mana equal to the spell slot. Spell slots are never used up with mana active.
Regaining Mana. Depleted mana may be regained by various abilities, resting, drinking potions, or even by certain spells.
Passive Regeneration A spellcaster regains mana points equal to their proficiency bonus for every hour in which they do not cast spells, or whenever they take a short rest. A long rest restores all mana points.
Active Regeneration Can fall under several types: using abilities and spells, potions, magical nexi, or magical vampirism (see below):
1. Abilities and Spells Abilities that originally restore spell slots instead restore mana as if the user rested for one hour, or 2 mana per spell slot regained (whichever is higher). Some spells (such as the warlock’s Life Tap) restore mana points as well.
2. Potions Also have the ability to restore mana (see equipment).
3. Magical Nexi Areas where magical ley-lines intersect, pools of energy (such as the High Elves’ Sunwell, Mana Fountains, and Night Elven Moonwells) can also restore energy from proximity (if the area is powerful enough) or interaction (as in most cases).
Mana Fountain. Sometimes, in centers of magical energy (such as lay line intersections), a wellspring of power appears. A creature with mana may either passively or actively tap into a mana fountain when within 30 ft. of it.
Passively While in proximity of the well for an hour, the spellcaster regains double mana from passive sources.
Actively The spellcaster may drink from the well directly, gaining mana points equal to their proficiency bonus with an action.
The Sunwell. A fount of mystical energy, the Sunwell counts as a mana fountain for the purposes of regaining mana, but its range is vastly superior to regular mana fountains: any creature that is allied to all (or some) of the current guardians of the Sunwell may benefit from the properties of a regular mana fountain as long as they are within the borders of Quel’Thalas.
Anyone who benefits from the Sunwell for an extended period (a year or more) suffers from Arcane Withdrawal upon losing access to it, or once it is corrupted or destroyed.
4. Magical Vampirism One may also feed on a dead or helpless creature’s mana. By so, the feeding creature can regain mana equal to one-half the mana the creature has. If the creature is helpless but not dead, they may roll an opposed Stamina saving throw--and if they succeed, the vampirism fails, and cannot be used again for one hour from the same creature.
This act is usually seen as an evil (or at least, chaotic) act, as drawing mana could have a corruptive influence on the feeding creature. This also usually has unforeseen psychological or physiological aftereffects, such as addiction to the act or arcane withdrawal.

One cannot benefit from any active regenerative effect more than once every hour, and takes the highest bonus only, regardless of the effect’s source. Passive mana regeneration is not affected by active regeneration.

Forcing a Spell. If casting a spell without sufficient mana points left, a spellcaster may perform a Stamina saving throw to cast a spell regardless.
The DC is equal to 20 + spell level + mana points below 0. If successful, count the mana cost against the current pool (this can reach a negative value, increasing the DC).
On a failure, the spellcaster is mentally fatigued, suffering one level of exhaustion. They also cannot cast another spell until the exhaustion is removed naturally, and if mana is restored to at least half maximum.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:34 pm

This hopefully clarifies any confusion that might have arisen from the original writeup.

Proudpapawood
Goblin

Post by Proudpapawood » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:34 pm

Spell Cost. Every spell costs mana points equal to the spell level + base spell cost. For this purpose, 0-level spells cost half the mana of a 1st level spell (minimum 1).
Base spell cost. The base spell cost is a number of mana points equal to 6 - Proficiency bonus. Some spells and effects reduce base spell cost.
This clears it right up - Thanks!

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:46 pm

Thank you for pointing out the murky wording!

On a happy note, we reached 250 clicks on the document, everyone. It's been nearly three months already as a serious project, and things are going fine. Here's to all of us.

Edit, Jan30: Very Minor patch: In lieu with most abilities, the Paladin's aura scales with Proficiency bonus instead of Charisma, require a reaction to trigger on one target, and tinkers gain the ability to lower the malfunction rating of devices. Originally, they started on 10%, and scaled up to 35% malfunction, now scaling with the tinker's proficiency (albeit half), to reach 5% to 15%.

On a playtest (running Mines of Madness), I managed to playtest both classes, and the above changes reflect my observations.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:34 pm

Major Update: Feb 3: Patch 1.6 released
Classes:
Added full class sheet to all classes for convenience. Some abilities shifted places (death knight/paladin auras and Divine Health/Carrier). Both classes must prepare their spells (Paladins in librams, and death knights in runeblades).
The Shaman had several abilities reworded + new minor ability to always be able to communicate with elementals.
Warlock's Soul Shards have new purpose to mix into the mana system. Warlocks can also cooperatively cast.

Skills: Skill prerequisites added.
Alchemy skill requires 1 spellcasting level and 15 or more Intelligence
Engineering skill requires 15 Intelligence or 1 level in tinker to gain proficiency.

Added Infusion Skill, requires Intelligence of 15 and 5 spellcasting levels. Can be used to drain magic from items (gaining infusion dust), which can be spent to increase the rarity (and respective enchantments or bonuses) on items.

Return to “World of Warcraft”