Warcraft RPG 5th Edition...

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Proudpapawood
Goblin

Re: Warcraft RPG 5th Edition...

Post by Proudpapawood » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:48 pm

Hey was working on pulling some stuff together today and was checking out the Shaman Class. I think Elemental needs to be tweeked a little bit. As it sits you get access to Conjure Elemental (a 5th level spell) at 5th level. It seems a little over powered to gain access to a 5th level spell when everyone else is getting 3rd level spells. Getting a beefed up planar binding spell a level earlier as a class feature (8th level Bonded Elemental) doesn't bother me as much, but the other seems a little intense.

Maybe the elemental is almost like a scaling pet based on your level with a CR equal 1/2 Shaman level rounded down. It would be slightly more powerful than Conjure Minor Elemental, but if there was casting limit it might balance.

Thoughts?

Proudpapawood
Goblin

Post by Proudpapawood » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:59 pm

Sorry for the second post, but I noticed 2 more things as well around the Shaman. Elemental gets an 8th level spell (Earthquake) at 9th level seems too much.

The one that made my jaw hit the floor though was having Enhancement get fireball as a bonus action from level one. :o

So I've not ever developed a tested homebrew class so I don't have much of a leg to stand on, but maybe these could be reworked to feel a little more balanced.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:26 pm

Regarding Conjure Elemental/fiend/fey/animal, etc., I am introducing a spell in the next patch to subsume their function and to fix the disparity I've noticed so far.
As it is, all conjuring spells [Animals (3rd), Celestials (7th), Elemental (5th), Fey (6th), Minor Elemental (4th), Woodland Beings (4th)] function on the same basic mechanic, albeit not very consistent:
Animals: 3rd level summons CR 2 (or 2 1s, 4 1/2s, 8 1/4s). At 5th, 7th, and 9th, doubles, triples, and quadruples base and lesser amount
Woodland Beings: 4th level as Minor Elemental below.
Minor Elemental: 4th level summons a single CR 2 (or two 1s, 4 1/2s, 8 1/4s). At 6th, and 8th, doubles and triples base and lesser amount.
Elemental: 5th level summons a single CR 5 (no alteration) At 6+, CR +1 to CR 9 at spell level 9. (casting time 1 minute)
Fey: 6th level summons single CR 6 (no alteration). At 7th+, CR +1 to CR 9 at spell level 9. (casting time 1 minute)
Celestial: 7th level summons CR 4 (no alteration). At 9th, CR 5. (casting time 1 minute)
In the meantime, Animate Undead and Animate Objects (very similar spells mechanically) follow different rules.

To consolidate all summons and to address weaknesses and disparity in some spells (such as Conjure Celestial being much weaker than Conjure Fey and less versatile than Conjure Minor Elemental), all such spells work on the following general spell:
As a general spell, it is split to several smaller spells that share mechanical aspects. Conjure Fey occupies a different spell slot and page in a spellbook than Conjure Fiend--even if they are the same spell mechanically. Some spells are also in exclusive spell lists: Conjure Fey is in the Druid list alone, Conjure Fiend in the Warlock list alone, and Conjure Elemental in the lists of the Druid, Mage, Shaman, and Warlock lists altogether. The sub-spells Animate Dead and Animate Objects can be cast by Mages only--but can also be unlocked from the Death Priesthood and the Death Knight classes.
I will detail this more later--but here is the base spell.

Conjure Creature (Fey/Elemental/Fiend/Celestial) [Druid, Mage, Priest, Shaman]
1st level Conjuration
Casting Time Special (depends on origin plane--see below)
Range 60 feet (or 90 feet if origin plane is outer)
Components S, V (also Material if origin plane is outer)
Duration Concentration, up to 1 hour
You summon a creature keyed to this spell that appears in an unoccupied space you can see in range. The creature's CR is equal to 1. The summoned creature remains friendly to you and obeys your spoken commands (no action), and disappears if it drops to 0 hit points. It has its own initiative, which acts on its own turns.
A summoned creature cannot summon others even if they have spells that normally allow them to, and despite them obeying their summoner's commands, they take their own actions (such as which spells or ability to use, etc.) so long as they do not ordered to perform an act they would be opposed to. If not given a command, the summoned creature defends itself to the best of its abilities until the spell's duration ends or the concentration of the spellcaster ceases.
At Higher Levels. For every spell level above 1st, the CR of the creature summoned increases by 1.

Special I:
Casting Time: If the spell conjures a creature from the same plane you are in (such as an animal), the spell costs an action. You can also split the CR amongst the creatures (half for double the creatures, one-forth for triple the creatures, one-eighth for quadruple the number, etc.)
Spells that conjure creatures from other realms (Twisting Nether for fiends/Emerald Dream for fey, Elemental Planes for elementals, etc.) take 1 minute to cast, require a material component (if a fey or fiend) or a focus (if an elemental, such as a bonfire for a fire elemental, a river for a water elemental, etc.), and have a range of 90 feet. You can only summon one creature from another realm, and cannot split the CR as you can a native creature.

For Example: From a 1st level spell slot, a wizard can conjure a CR 1 water elemental--going up to reach the normal spell parameters at spell level 5, and above and beyond at spell level 9. However, a druid conjuring an animal can conjure a CR 1 animal, or 2 CR 1/2 animals, or 3 CR 1/4 animals.
Of course, there is no current stats for a water elemental of CR 1-4 or 6-9. The MM gives a method for extrapolating the appropriate stats for such creatures, however.

Special II:
This spell can also be learned as if it belongs to other schools: namely Necromancy and Transmutation. In this case, the spell is instead called Animate Dead or Animate Objects, respectively.

Animate Dead: This spell acts exactly as if animating a creature from another plane (90 feet, 1 minute casting time, material component), but with the following changes:
1. The creature animated is an undead creature;
2. The material component is a corpse (which must be present within the spell's range);
3. You cannot animate an undead larger than Huge;
4. You have a mental link to your undead, and may command any or all of them them wordlessly (no action required) up to 100 feet away;
5. You may also split the CR between the undead creatures (as summoning a native creature, see above);
6. Animating undead does not require concentration, and the link remains for 24 hours or until the undead is destroyed. After 24 hours, however, the connection is severed. Casting the spell on the same undead reinstates the connection--as long as the spell has sufficient level to animate the undead in question. You can have a total CR of linked undead equal to your character level--any more than the undead are uncontrolled and might attack their creator;
7. The undead must be corporeal.
8. Special: If the CR created is equal to or higher than 6, you must cast this spell at night or in a desecrated/blighted area, and it requires a material component equal to 150 gp worth of black onyx per creature created above CR 6.

Animate Objects: This spell acts exactly as if animating a creature from another plane (90 feet, 1 minute casting time, material component), but with the following changes:
1. The creature animated is a construct creature (such as a golem);
2. The material component is a focus of a material that cannot be harder than iron of equal size to the construct animated (which must be present within the spell's range, such as a large wooden table for a Large Wood Golem, or a large collection of iron swords for a large Iron Golem);
3. You cannot animate a construct larger than Huge;
4. You have a mental link to your construct, and may command any or all of them wordlessly (no action required) up to 200 feet away;
5. You may not split the CR between constructs;
6. Animating objects requires concentration, to a maximum duration of one minute;

This change is mostly for consolidation of mechanics--but it is also for lore: most mages start by summoning water elementals, which is a 4th level spell (minor elementals) at best--or a 7th level wizard. Now, summoning a weaker elemental at level 1 is not that big of an issue.
Sorry for the second post, but I noticed 2 more things as well around the Shaman. Elemental gets an 8th level spell (Earthquake) at 9th level seems too much.
The one that made my jaw hit the floor though was having Enhancement get fireball as a bonus action from level one. :o
Woops! Both have been fixed in an emergency patch. Must be a carryover from beta.

Thanks for the notes. Very thankful.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:17 am

Minor Patch:1.6.3 patch notes

Conjure creature spell added, comprehensive list: Sub-spells Animate Undead and Animate Constructs also added, and added emergency fix for Shaman and several existing spells (Brilliance Aura).

On another note: The clicks and views on the conversion reached 310 so far. Wow.
Also--here is a link to the ongoing campaign I am running on RPG Crossing:

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14725

Feel free to drop in the discussion or check out the story.

Omega9999
Kobold

Post by Omega9999 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:46 pm

I'm loving this project! you did one amazing thing! I've had a broad view of the rules and i think most of them are amazing!
I've noticed the use of some terms that aren't exactly used in 5e. Like spellcasting level. There is no such thing as spellcasting level in 5e :D I hope you keep going on with this project!

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:33 pm

I've managed to catch and remove all references of caster level in the document. Thanks for noticing!

If there are any other comments, please let me know.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:08 am

Major Update: 1.6.4.5 released

System:
Caster Level: Added the concept of 'caster level'. This determines the spell level accessed as a unified table.
Set/Prepared Spells: Alterations to the magic system to clarify how many spells a character has prepared (or set spells). From the spells set, a character can use mana to cast their spells. A character with prepared casting (so far, all characters are prepared casters in the conversion) have a number of set spells equal to 2 plus 2 additional spells per +1 of their spellcasting ability modifier.
For the highest-level spell level you can access, you have 50% less spells set (minimum 1). For the second-highest spell level, you have 25% less spells set (minimum 1).

For Example: A 1st level mage with 15 Intelligence has 3 1st level spells set (2 + 4, 50% reduction due to highest-level spell). 1st level spells cost 5 mana (6 + 1 - 2).If the mage reaches level 10 and has 20 Intelligence, he has 12 spells prepared for every spell level, but only 6 for 5th level (50% reduction), and 9 4th level spells (25% reduction for second-highest spell level).
This system allows more versatility and flexibility in spells known. Spells can always be changed later by consulting the source of magic (spellbook for mages, grimoires for warlocks, holy librams for paladins, meditation for priests, runeblades for death knights, etc.)
Otherwise, a player may refer to the 5e PHB to use the spell slots system to use the previous system. This system grants access to more spells overall, and shortens the size of the document and cleans it up.

Classes:
Paladin's Lay on Hands/Death Knight's Corrupting Touch is expended on 50% mana increments instead of 100% of mana after feedback in the PBP.

Unrelated:
And we reached 400+ clicks on the main document. W00T!

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:03 am

Update: 1.6.5
System: Added resurrection altars (Alter of Kings/Storms/Darkness, etc.). They can be attuned to for one short rest, and if killed, a character of 5th level can be revived for a rising fee (minimum 1,000 gp, maximum 3,000 gp).
Mana: Also fixed some terminologies under the mana system.
Classes: No changes here.
Document: 500 clicks. That's quick.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:30 am

Update 1.6.6
System: Minor additions of languages.
Spells: old Holy Light/Death Coil removed.
Cure Wounds and Inflict Wounds now have a range of 30 feet, and are named Holy Light and Death Coil, respectively (healing 1d8+mod) to make them more accessible and to represent the games better. Rejuvenation is added at level 1 for druids, and Healing Waters are added as level 1 for Shamans.
Monsters: Added goblin shredder and minor monsters.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:20 am

This is an extraordinary project you have here. There is a place to play online?

BTW, I guess you should make the Sin'dorei different from the Quel'dorei. Maybe biologically they are one race, but culturally no. They may have diferent stances about magic and that stuff. And both are affiliated with opposing factions...

Nonetheless, I'll be downloading this.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:33 am

The note about the Sin'Dorai is true. I am considering an addition later to detail differing cultural and political attitudes.
Although with the mana vampirism, the mechanics behind the fel eyes are established quite nicely.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:36 pm

Patch 1.6.9 is coming soon (in the next few days), and has more options for justify the 800 clicks so far.

Update: Patch 1.6.9
RACES
[High Elves]: Addendum for Blood Elves and history

CLASS
[Mage]: Arcane recovery clarified

[WARLOCK]: [Demonology]: Metamorphosis Horns deal 1d6 piercing, claws 1d4

[ROGUE]
[Combat]: Combat rogues gain proficiency in firearms and explosives.

[Subtlety]: Describe how casting works instead of referring to Arcane Trickster

[Demon Hunter] Rogue Archetype added. Abilities are Demon Magic, Spectral Sight, Dark Metamorphosis, Sorcerous Thirst, and Dread Foe. Focused as an anti-magic anti-demon rogue.

POWERS AND MAGIC
Death Pact can be used to regain mana (as the lich's Dark Ritual spell)
Conjure Creature now establishes line-of-sight telepathy,
Frost Armor wording clarified.

Warlocks gain the following spells to their list.
Mind blast
Mind Flay
Exorcism (sorry paladins!)
Shackle Evil

Several classes gain the Dominate Creature spell, split depending on class. Now shamans and mages can dominate elementals or undead, and warlocks can dominate fiends.

Tattoo spellbooks is now a thing as well. Can't be stolen, but can be harmed.

CREATURES
Several creatures now added (wyrmkin, Chimaera, Bog Beasts, and more).

Warsong
Kobold

Post by Warsong » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:14 am

I had to log in JUST to say how amazing this is. I have loved Warcraft since WC1 Orcs vs Humans and this is an amazing project!

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:32 am

The next few updates will be focused on special or racial archetypes. The Witch Doctor and Shadow Hunter, specifically. On one end, they act a lot like regular shamans with different spell lists. On the other side, I see Shadow Hunters as a Hunter archetype that utilizes shaman spells. Perhaps a few mask-related powers or dance-magic abilities.
Any comments regarding the two are welcome.

@Warsong: Thank you.
Any comments regarding the system will be greatly appreciated.

fmurderface
Kobold

Post by fmurderface » Wed May 11, 2016 2:43 am

I'm thinking in adapt the wow tcg weapons and equipments to use WoW D&D 5th at my table.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:59 pm

Woah, it's been a while.

Patch 1.7 is released!

Reclassify Demon Hunter under Special and Racial Archetypes

CLASSES
[Hunter]
Improved Hunter's [Favored enemy] ability.
Improved Hunter's [Vanish] ability.
Clarified [Sharpshooter] ability

[Warlock]
Changed Metamorphosis (belonging more to Demon Hunter, and reflecting Legion's new understanding of warlocks) to Dark Bond, which allows the caster to conentrate on two conjure fiend spells.
Coupled with the Demon-soul ability, the warlock can have four effective minions on the field with two concentration effects.

[Demon Hunter]
Altered demon hunter's version of metamorphosis.

[Shadow Hunter]
Hunter Archetype introduced under Special and Racial Specializations

SPELLS
[Divine Shield]
The spell can block 10 points of damage per Caster Level before the wards fail. They can also absorb non-hostile spells (although they consume spell power to negate as well).

[Blessing of Protection]
As Divine Shield.

Several minor balancing and format issues resolved.

MONSTERS
10+ monsters added, including mountain and sea giants, harpies, and the dreadful maganataur.

@Fmurderface: Is there a good online source that includes tcg weapons and equipment? We might make use of them.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:01 pm

I was eagerly awaiting for this update. Thanks!

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Our newest update is upon us!

Patch 1.8 is released!

CLASSES
[Tinker]
Replaced the boring Scavenge (and pushed it back) to Superfunction.
Added Quick Tech at level 15.

[Apothecary]
The Forsaken-only Tinker (focused on alchemy, poisons and diseases, as well as constructing undead) is released.

[Mountain King]
The Dwarf-only Warrior (focused on a specific stance, gaining bloodline magic-casting, and several defensive abilities) is released.

SPELLS
Several spells added:
+Arcane Armor
+Capture Essence
+Chain Lightning
+Conjure Elemental Totem
+Curse of Tongues
+Earthbind
+Earthbind Totem
+Earth Shield
+Eye of Kilrogg
+Fire Nova
+Fire Nova Totem
+Freezing Sphere
+Lava Burst
+Lightning Shield
+Lightning Storm
+Parasite
+Resistance Totem
+Soulshatter
+Storm Bolt
+Water Shield
+Wind Shear

Several minor balancing and format issues resolved
+ Aerial Shackles now allow for a saving throw (with advantage if caster is smaller than target
+ Carrion Swarm's level lowered to 3rd level and turned into a debilitate spell
+ Conjure creature rebalanced
+ Corpse Explosion added to priest's spell list
+ Life Tap works off percentage of HP and MP
+ Healing Waters renamed to Riptide
+ Dominate Creature added to druid's spell spell

MONSTERS
+ Stone Golem (with rules for fire, steam, and arcane nullifier variants)
+ Naga Myrmidon
+ Naga Seawitch
+ Nerubean Seer
+ Crypt Lord Hero
+ Ogre Magus
+ Quilboar
+ Salamander (with rules for lightning lizard variant)

EQUIPMENT
+ Syringe
+ Sun Gun Gadget
+ Flamethrower Gadget
+ Frost Gun Gadget
+ Reflective Cylinder Gadget
+ Water Pump Gadget

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:38 am

Now that I have finished the missions of the Broken Shore, I have a question: will those events and the rest of the story of Legion affect this conversion?

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:33 am

The conversion is timeline-neutral. If there are more monsters introduced in Legion, they'll be converted in (though I haven't played Legion myself).

If you noticed, the Demonologist Warlock and the Demon Hunter specializations reflect Legion's vision; demonologist doesn't focus on gaining demonic powers and metamorphosis, but increasing control over them and gaining power over them. The demon hunter gains metamorphosis and increased access to spells that target demons (even the usually paladin-only Exorcism) to help smooth transition.

In a way it already did.
Is Legion any good?

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:08 am

For the moment we have only the pre-patch quests. I don't want to spoil anyone, but maybe you're already aware of what happened in the Broken Shore to both factions, Alliance and Horde. Suffice to say many of the important NPCs (even those of neutral factions), either died in that quest, or retired after that (feeling themselves too old to be of use in this war).

The General (the title the player character have earned in Warlords of Draenor) is promoted to the highest rank in his/her class. For example, I play an Alliance Druid, so now my character is an Archdruid of the Cenarion Circle. My brother plays a Horde Warlock, and now he is the Overlord (leader) of the Council of the Black Harvest. I know the Paladin becomes the leader of the Argent Crusade, the Death Knight becomes the leader of the Ebon Knights, and the Shaman becomes the leader of the Earthen Ring. I do not know the other classes into what got promoted, but I know all classes got promoted.

So, is lore intensive in that aspect. But as the expansion isn't yet "active", I cannot say more.

Marduk_Bathory
Orc

Post by Marduk_Bathory » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:46 pm

I have some suggestions for Elf conversion but, rather than edit the google doc (which seems to have been the subject of some graffiti), I thought I'd do one of my own for your approval, to be added or ignored at your whim.

Basically I've used the Infernal Tiefling subrace as the blood elf template, as opposed to what the options available in the WoW Player's Guide and removed 'Fleet of Foot' from the Night Elf options. (I thought if you're giving them Shadowmeld as well, we should probably remove something).

If satyrs were added as a playable race I'd rethink the the blood-elf/tiefling thing, but I think we're safe on that front, I can't imagine Blizzard making them playable in the near future.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:23 am

@Zeromaru: I've already looked over Legion's class notes and adopted many of its changes. Not sure what to do with the artifact weapons, though.

@Marduk_Bathory: I've looked over and cleaned up the elf entry in the document to take in mind your suggestions and alterations (especially the fleet-of-foot), clarified High Magic, and allowed Blood Magics' spells to be exchanged upon becoming a blood elf.
Regarding Satryrs--reverse-engineering my entry reveals that the race is based off the elf (Darkvision, increased Agi, Mystic Senses), as well as Fleet of Foot, proficiency with Deception and Stealth, Immortality (from dying by old age), and claw attacks (1d4 base damage).
If there's demand for it, we can have Satyrs--but I might consider a variant warlock or druid (blight druid?).

At any rate, thank you for your insights (and finding mistakes in the document)!

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:32 am

Update: Patch 1.9 Released!

DOCUMENT
Added spell list based off class shorthand terms for ease of spellfinding.

CLASSES
[Tinker]
Cobble pulled to level 1, and is more frequent.
Improved Cobble allows for cheaper cobbling.

[Warrior: Mountain King]
Mountain King cleaned up, folded Avatar power into Spellcasting.

[Warrior: Spellbreaker]
Spellbreaker's abilities cleaned up, slight buff to anti-magic.

SKILLS
[Discovery]
2 weeks of studying can create a new spell, formula, or blueprint. It also requires money to spend and (of course) a suitable place to study.

[Engineering]
Added Arcane/Mana Engines (or Spelljamming Engine, if that's your thing!). It consumes 1 MP per EP and blocks casting for 1 hour (unless the user can pass a Spellcasting check). Mana-bombs, away!

POWERS AND MAGIC
+ Detonate Mana
+ Moonfire
+ Sunfire
+ Sunbeam (lower level entry spell)

[*]Evocative Consecration does not move with the target, but fiends and undead move at half speed.
[*]Ethereal Banishment added to shaman
[*]Fade added to Druid and Mage
[*]Tranquility added to Shaman
[*]Unholy Frenzy added to Death Knight

EQUIPMENT
Added spellcasting relics. These are attunement items that provide bonuses to a single spell, such as Libram of Wracking to Exorcism and Evocative Consecration, or Sigil of Corpses to Corpse Explosion

vyrdrokk42
Kobold

Post by vyrdrokk42 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:38 pm

I just want to say that this project looks amazing from what I can see - unfortunately, I can't see very much. I tried multiple times to open the link to the file from both the signature and the link on the main information page. Is there a way that you could post an unshortened link or a link straight to a PDF? I would really like to try out what you've created.

Return to “World of Warcraft”