Warcraft RPG 5th Edition...

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
pagnabros
Goblin

Re: Warcraft RPG 5th Edition...

Post by pagnabros » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:34 am

Ok, so time for some changes ;)
Arrius Nideal: You're focusing too much on the Eclipse feature.
The point is that the eclipse feature is the main mechanic of the balance druid, so IMO it's natural to improve it. However, valid substitution are always welcome ^_^

Clarifications
Arrius Nideal: Astral comunion. Do you mean that if you hit with an Arcane spell, all holy spells deal +1d8 damage for one minute?
Yes, but only for YOUR holy/arcane spells.

And now, new archetype feature following your suggestion

Balance Specialization
Moonkin Form
You gain a new shapeshift which resembled an owlbear.

Moonkin
Medium monstrosity
Armor Class 12 (natural armor)
Speed 30 ft.
STR 14 (+2)
DEX 12 (+1)
CON 15 (+2)
Skills Perception
Senses darkvision 60 ft.
Keen Sight and Smell. The moonkin has advantage on Spirit (Perception) checks that rely on sight or smell.
Moonkin. While in this form, you may cast druid spells from the Evocation and Transmutation spell lists when in moonkin form. If you can already cast such spells, said spells cost 1 point of mana less than normal.

Feral/Guardian Specialization

Feral (Cat Form)

Feral Instict
Beginning at 2nd level, while in cat form you have advantage in the Stealth skill made to hide yourself. Also, you deals an extra 1d6 damage when it hits a target with a weapon attack and has advantage on the attack roll, or when the target is within 5 feet of an ally of the cat form that isn't incapacitated and the cat form doesn't have disadvantage on the attack roll. This extra damage increase by 1d6 every four druid level (max 5d6 at level 20th).

Predatory Swiftness
Starting at 6th level, while in cat form, enemies suffer disadvantage with attacks against you if you have advantage against them.

Restoration Specialization

Tree of Life Form
You learn a new shapeshift, you are able to take on the form of living treant which stands the same size of a humanoid.

Tree of life
Medium plant
Armor Class 10 (natural armor)
Speed 30 ft.
STR 14 (+2)
DEX 8 (-1)
CON 17 (+3)
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing
Damage Vulnerabilities fire
False Appearance. While the tree of life remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from a normal tree.
Tree of Life. You may cast Conjuration and Trasmutation druid spells when in tree of life form. If you can already cast such spells, said spells cost 1 point of mana less than normal. Whenever you cast a healing spell, you add +5 to the final hit points restored.
ACTIONS
Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) bludgeoning damage

Swiftmend
Starting at 6th level, you can cast a healing spell as a reaction once per short rest.

Malfurion's Gift
Starting at 14th level, all your spells cost 1 mana point less.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:52 am

Evocation and Transmutation for Moonkin, and Conjuration and Transmutation for Treeform is pretty good.
Considering how mechanics work, are you going to design a Moonkin and Tree of Life for the monster segment of the rules? Since in the game (WarIII at least), the tree of life is an ancient (read: really strong).

pagnabros
Goblin

Post by pagnabros » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:46 pm

I've almost done with my personal view of the rogue, the mage, the hunter and the warrior (the hunter is the most complicate because i need to create base stat for animal coompanion that are all balanced between them), and i'm surely going to stat most of the creatures of Azeroth (including moonkin and tree of life that are far more powerful than the druid form) after all classes are finished.

Btw, any progress with the spells list for class (very interested in it ;) ) ?

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:54 am

Well, all current spells are up in the document so far (around page 56). Conversion of more spells are ongoing.

At any rate, I will be glad to add your converted monsters to the project's document if you allow me.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:21 pm

System Update: All proposed (and some forgotten) spells have been added.
We are therefore finished with classes, spells, and professions.
All that is left for the document to reach the next stage is finishing up the inventory/equipment system.

The document also boasts a relatively small number of monster character sheets. Feel free to suggest or add some, and I will work on integration.

Also, speaking of which: Djmove, you have not commented on the Warrior. Any thoughts?

pagnabros
Goblin

Post by pagnabros » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:43 pm

Thank you very much Arrius, you are the best ;)

And now, stat for the mighty Tree of Life!

Tree of Life

Gargantuan Plant, Neutral Good

Armor Class: 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points: 492 (24d20 + 240)
Speed: 40 ft.

Str Agy Sta Int Spt Cha
28 (+9) 6 (-2) 30 (+10) 18 (+4) 25 (+7) 19 (+4)

Saving Throws: Str +16, Sta +17, Spt +14
Skills Nature +11
Damage Resistances: bludgeoning, piercing
Damage Vulnerabilities: fire
Senses: passive Perception 17
Challenge: 21 (33,000 XP)

Traits

Eat Tree. A tree of life can eat trees (and parts of trees) in order to heal itself. In an area where trees are plentiful, 1 minute of tree-eating restores hit points equal to the tree of life’s Hit Dice. In areas where a tree of life does not have access to several trees, this ability is less useful, at the GM’s discretion.

Legendary Resistance (3/Day): If the tree of life fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Magic Resistance. The tree of life has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Siege Monster. The tree of life deals double damage to objects and structures.

Spellcasting: The tree of life is a 20th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Spirit (spell save DC 22, +14 to hit with spell attacks). The tree of life has the following druid spells prepared:

Actions
Multiattack: The tree of life makes two slam attacks.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, reach 15 ft, one target. Hit: 53 (8d10 + 9) bludgeoning damage.

Legendary Actions
The tree of life can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The tree of life regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Detect. The tree of life makes a Spirit (Perception) check.
Slam Attack. The tree of life makes a slam attack.
Nature's Blessing (Costs 2 Actions). Each living creature within 240 feet of the tree of life magically regains 33 (6d8 + 6) hit points (including the tree of life).

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:30 am

I've added the Tree of Life, and many debilitate and (and some) invigorate spells. The mechanic is supposed to allow players a measure of damage control, and is not passive as the PC games.
Here are two examples:
Holy Fire (Debilitate) [Priest]
2nd-level evocation
Casting Time 1 action
Components S, V
Range 60 feet
Duration Instantaneous, plus one minute or two uses (whichever comes first)
A blast of holy fire burns your target. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target is affected by the holy fire, taking 2d4 holy damage. For the next minute, you may declare with a reaction any of the following effects on the target.
The target takes 1d6 holy damage.
The target has disadvantage to their next attack roll in their round.
At Higher Levels. For every spell level above 2nd, the initial and secondary damage increases by one dice each, and you gain another use of the debilitate effect.
Special: Unholy Fire. This may be cast as a fel spell, dealing fel damage instead.
Rejuvenation (Invigorate) [Druid]
2nd level evocation
Casting Time 1 action
Range 15 feet (any one living creature)
Components V, S
Duration One minute or two uses (whichever is sooner)
With the grace of the nature, you envelop the target with a blessing that rapidly closes wounds and rejuvenates the target. The creature you target regains a number of hit points equal to 2d6, and is rejuvenated for one minute. On each of the creature’s rounds, for until you run out of uses or the duration ends, you may impose any of the following effects with a single use.
Heal the target for 1d8 hit points.
Grant the target resistance against any one bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage roll that is not from magical weapons.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the primary and secondary healing increase by one dice for each slot level above 2nd, and you gain two additional uses of this ability.
Once you cast invigorate or debilitate spells on the target, the spell deals a respectable impact effect--though it is less healing than straight healing spells, and less damage than outright damage spells. The point of control lies in the blessing, curse, or duration effect. For one minute after being cast (which is typically around one combat encounter), the caster gains a pool of spell uses depending on the spell's level. Each spell use can be used as a reaction (a balancing factor) on the turn of the target of the spell, and many spells have multiple options for invigorate or debilitate spell uses. After all uses are exhausted, the spell's effects fade, even if the duration didn't originally end.

Some spells capitalize on this mechanic, such as Combustion (Mage and Warlock), which deals modest damage (2d6 for a 5th level spell), but can tally up all remaining debilitate effects on the target and discharge them on the same round, dealing potentially massive damage.

Feedback is appreciated.

Wolfx
Goblin

Post by Wolfx » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:38 am

Arrius Nideal wrote:System Update: All proposed (and some forgotten) spells have been added.
We are therefore finished with classes, spells, and professions.
All that is left for the document to reach the next stage is finishing up the inventory/equipment system.

The document also boasts a relatively small number of monster character sheets. Feel free to suggest or add some, and I will work on integration.

Also, speaking of which: Djmove, you have not commented on the Warrior. Any thoughts?
I am new here and really liking the conversion. Thanks to all who have worked on it.

When I clicked on the link in your sig the document did not have any rules for the 3 Archetype for the Druid stating it was in patch 1.5. Am I missing where that version or newer is located?

Thanks again for this amazing fan creation

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:07 am

That is correct. So far, the druid and the Shaman are the two classes without archetypes yet. The current patch is version 1.0.

Wolfx
Goblin

Post by Wolfx » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:24 am

Thanks for clearing that up. Look forward to the next patch

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:47 pm

Arrius Nideal wrote:@Big Mac: Great! There is no need to lock the thread, then. By the way, can we get a dice-rolling program in the Piazza, or does everyone else move their play-by-posts to other websites?
There is a topic about getting a bespoke dice roller mod written for The Piazza in the Kippin' Griffon. I've spoken personally to the owner of The Piazza about this and she has repeated the research she did earlier.

It looks like the estimated cost of adding this feature is £100 UKP. If you are still interested you can let her know if you or any of your players are willing to contribute towards this cost. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:50 am

I am ready to pledge in 15 pounds for the dice rolling program to be functional.
But also want to be able to post a campaign forum and be given limited admin control in said forum (like how they run campaigns in the Unseen Servant). Is that possible? Will I have to donate anything?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:54 am

Arrius Nideal wrote:I am ready to pledge in 15 pounds for the dice rolling program to be functional.
I suggest you mention that in the Die Roller? topic in The Kippin' Griffon, as Ashtagon will not be looking for discussion about dice rollers in this topic.

That would still leave £85 UKP to be pledged by other people who want this feature to be implimented. So someone would need to find other people to chip in before this could be attempted. (And I'm not sure how long the offer stands for.)
Arrius Nideal wrote:But also want to be able to post a campaign forum and be given limited admin control in said forum (like how they run campaigns in the Unseen Servant). Is that possible? Will I have to donate anything?
Admin rights allow people to delete user accounts. You won't get those. But if you are talking about moderator rights (which allows someone to edit the posts of other users) you would need to make a formal request in The Kippin' Griffon for moderator rights in The Crystal Globe and explain exactly why you think you can not run a Play by Post campaign without being able to edit the posts of your players. (Nobody else running a PbP campaign has editing rights.)

Why don't you have a look at how other GMs are using The Crystal Globe before you do that. Maybe you do not actually need to edit the posts of your players to be able to run a PbP campaign.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:13 am

Big Mac wrote:
Arrius Nideal wrote:I am ready to pledge in 15 pounds for the dice rolling program to be functional.
I suggest you mention that in the Die Roller? topic in The Kippin' Griffon, as Ashtagon will not be looking for discussion about dice rollers in this topic.
Done and done.
Big Mac wrote:
Arrius Nideal wrote:But also want to be able to post a campaign forum and be given limited admin control in said forum (like how they run campaigns in the Unseen Servant). Is that possible? Will I have to donate anything?
Admin rights allow people to delete user accounts. You won't get those. But if you are talking about moderator rights (which allows someone to edit the posts of other users) you would need to make a formal request in The Kippin' Griffon for moderator rights in The Crystal Globe and explain exactly why you think you can not run a Play by Post campaign without being able to edit the posts of your players. (Nobody else running a PbP campaign has editing rights.)

Why don't you have a look at how other GMs are using The Crystal Globe before you do that. Maybe you do not actually need to edit the posts of your players to be able to run a PbP campaign.
Sorry for the misunderstanding; I meant to propose subfolders for campaigns, in which the GM can stick threads, delete posts, etc.
Apparently, it's been proposed, but Ashtagon said that it will be considered once the PBP thread gets crowded.

Wolfx
Goblin

Post by Wolfx » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:23 am

Was wondering if I could get some advice from those who have played WoWTRPG and 5E

I want to start running this for my group but I am curious what the benefits are to running as is versus 5e? Are there pitfalls that I should be aware of?

I was also wondering if I do run as is does Arrius Nideal have a version of the gathering and crafting rules for the game?

Thanks

Aric

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:55 pm

Wolfx wrote:Was wondering if I could get some advice from those who have played WoWTRPG and 5E

I want to start running this for my group but I am curious what the benefits are to running as is versus 5e? Are there pitfalls that I should be aware of?
3.5 vs. 5e, you say...
No real pitfalls, but a difference in style: 5e is faster and simpler, and hence, doles out (relatively) less abilities and options to streamline the game. 3.5 is more multiclass-friendly, but has a lot of weight at high levels, such as combat taking no less than a few hours. In 5e, nearly everyone has a chance (however slim) to be heroic; an ancient demon has a mere AC of 18, which allows lucky (or blessed) farmers to break through--though they will not survive the demon's turn.
I find 5e to be more in the style of Warcraft as a story.
Wolfx wrote:I was also wondering if I do run as is does Arrius Nideal have a version of the gathering and crafting rules for the game?
Of course. Please refer to page 15 - 16. I quote:
Craft: Crafting takes four components: Time roughly equivalent to the complexity of the end product; raw materials equal to one-third that of the end product; rroficiency with the tools (or skill) relevant; and success on the Crafting check.
At the end of the allotted crafting time, and if the check is successful, the user crafts the item in question.

Very simple item (stick) 10 minutes DC 5
Simple (light weapon, club, or staff) 1 hour DC 10
Moderate (martial weapon, light armor) 1 day DC 15
Complex (medium armor, lock) 1 week DC 20
Highly complex (heavy armor) 2 weeks DC 25

Crafting takes the specified time, cut down to the nearest hour.
In the above example, the first-level Warrior (if proficient with smith’s tools), can begin to forge a sword if he has access to all the tools he needs (the game master may possibly require a forge to smelt raw iron into ingots). As a moderate complexity item, it would take him one day if he has all the required materials, if he succeeds on a DC 15 Crafting check, and pays 1/3 the cost of a longsword.
As for gathering, you may have your character gather materials for eight hours, and perform a check to learn how much valuable materials you found (though you must declare what you gathered beforehand).
Value of Gathered Materials per 8 hours of work = ½ Check results x Proficiency x 4 in silver pieces.

If you decide to run your game in 5e, please provide feedback. It will be appreciated.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:28 pm

Patch 1.3 is released and the druid is live.
Balance
The Balance archetype improves your command of solar and lunar energies.
Eclipse Pool. Starting at 2nd level, whenever you successfully deal Arcane or Radiant damage to an enemy through a Druidic spell or ability, you gain one Eclipse point. You cannot gain more than one per round. Eclipse points may be used to empower your abilities. For every Eclipse point you have, you may deal an additional 1 point of Arcane or Radiant damage with spells and abilities that deal direct Arcane or Radiant damage. You may have a maximum number of points equal to 2 plus your Proficiency bonus, and they remain for one hour after being acquired.
Balance of Sun and Moon. Also starting at 2nd level, you may expend one Eclipse point when casting a spell that deals Arcane or Radiant damage, and deal 1d4 points of damage of that type.
Moon-Kin. Starting at 6th level, you may transform into a wildkin. When transformed, however, you may still cast druidic spells of the Transmutation and Evocation schools. When in this form, such spells cost 1 mana less than normal. You lose the ability to rage as a wildkin, however.
Shooting Star. Starting at 10th level, you may reroll the damage roll for any spell you cast by expending an Eclipse Point.
World in Balance. Starting at 14th level, you can command the world to hear your call, and call a solar or lunar eclipse (depending on the time).
Solar Eclipse (Day only). The sun’s light is covered by a shadow which blankets the earth in a 5-mile radius centered on the druid for one hour. The area becomes dim light or normal light (your choice), and creatures sensitive to sunlight do not take penalties from sunlight. All your spells that deal Arcane damage do so as if your Eclipse pool was full. You also gain one Eclipse Point per minute.
Lunar Eclipse (Night only). The moon’s light is bright and cloaked in the shadow which blankets the earth in a 5-mile radius centered on the druid for one hour. The area becomes either dim or normal light (your choice), and creatures sensitive to moonlight or sunlight take penalties (depending on your wish) when in the area. All your spells that deal Radiant damage do so as if your Eclipse pool is full. You also gain one Eclipse Point per minute.

Feral
The Feral archetype improves your wildform choices, and augments your strength in each of them by choosing an animal focus.
Fortitude of the Wilds. When you choose this archetype at 2nd level, you gain the ability to use Wild Shape on your turn as a bonus action or a reaction, rather than as an action.
Additionally, while you are transformed by Wild Shape, you can use a bonus action to expend one spell slot to regain 1d8 hit points per level of the spell slot expended.
Eye of the Beast. Also when gaining this archetype, when determining your maximum allowable CR to transform to, you divide your level by four, and not eight, therefore (½ at level 2, 1 at level 4, 2 at level 8, and 3 at level 12, 4 at level 16, and 5 at level 20).
Primal Strike. Starting at 6th level, your attacks in beast form count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.
Blessed Beast. Starting at 10th level, you may gain a special ability depending on your favored form of a wildshape. Choose any of your forms, and you may assign one of the following abilities to it, but only when in that form. Upon reaching 15th level, you may choose another option for each form.
Raking beast: You deal 1d6 sneak attack, as the rogue’s ability of the same name.
Roaring beast: You may roar in a 30-foot radius, granting all your allies a bonus to damage rolls equal to your Wisdom modifier for one hour.
Defending beast: You can gain resistance to all nonmagical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. This remains for one minute, and may be used once before a short rest.
Magical beast: You may choose two druidic spells and cast them in this form. This does not require somatic or verbal components.
Inspiring beast: You gain a 1d6 inspiration die, as the bard’s ability of the same name.
Prowling beast: Whenever you and an ally both threaten a creature, they have advantage to attack rolls against it.
Holy beast: You can turn demons away from you, as the cleric’s ability Turn Undead option under Channel Divinity.
Furious beast: You can rage as a 1st level barbarian twice a day.
Grand Hunter. Starting at 14th level, your weapon attacks while wildshaped deal an additional die of damage. Also, while under a wildshape, you gain 5 temporary hit points at the beginning of each round when in a wild shape. These temporary hit points do not carry over to your round.

Restoration
The Restoration archetype improves on your ability to heal the wilderness and its many creatures.
Healing Lore. When you choose this archetype at 2nd level, you may alter the target of an invigorate spell effect as a bonus action, targeting any eligible target within a range equal to the spell’s original range. The spell’s effects take place at the new target’s turn as usual.
Extended Growth. Also starting at 2nd level, the maximum duration of invigorate spells for you is 30 minutes, not 1 minute, and you gain 50% more uses from any invigorate spell effect.
Seed of Life. Starting at 6th level, you may touch any creature as an action, and cast a spell that remains latent until you discharge it with a mental command.
Until the spell is discharged, you can sense the well-being of the creature and their relative health, but cannot perceive through their senses. When they are hit, you receive a mental jolt that notifies you of their peril, and you may discharge the spell you cast. A creature cannot benefit from this more than once every 24 hours, and cannot have more than one seed active at any given time. This spell is considered active, and can be dispelled if targeted.
Ironbark. Starting at 10th level, whenever you heal a creature, you may choose to imbue their skin to be imbued with the strength of nature. if you do, they gain resistance to all nonmagical weapon damage for 1 minute. This can be used multiple times, though a given creature can benefit only once every 24 hours.
Improved Seed of Life. Starting at 14th level, you may imbue up to five seeds of life at once, and you can use an action see through the location in which you touched your ally. You may not communicate with them, however.
Feedback is welcome. Thank you all for patiently waiting on lazy old me.

Wolfx
Goblin

Post by Wolfx » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:18 pm

Arrius Nideal wrote:
Wolfx wrote:Was wondering if I could get some advice from those who have played WoWTRPG and 5E

3.5 vs. 5e, you say...
No real pitfalls, but a difference in style: 5e is faster and simpler, and hence, doles out (relatively) less abilities and options to streamline the game. 3.5 is more multiclass-friendly, but has a lot of weight at high levels, such as combat taking no less than a few hours. In 5e, nearly everyone has a chance (however slim) to be heroic; an ancient demon has a mere AC of 18, which allows lucky (or blessed) farmers to break through--though they will not survive the demon's turn.
I find 5e to be more in the style of Warcraft as a story.
Wolfx wrote:I was also wondering if I do run as is does Arrius Nideal have a version of the gathering and crafting rules for the game?
Of course. Please refer to page 15 - 16. I quote:
Craft: Crafting takes four components: Time roughly equivalent to the complexity of the end product; raw materials equal to one-third that of the end product; rroficiency with the tools (or skill) relevant; and success on the Crafting check.
At the end of the allotted crafting time, and if the check is successful, the user crafts the item in question.

Very simple item (stick) 10 minutes DC 5
Simple (light weapon, club, or staff) 1 hour DC 10
Moderate (martial weapon, light armor) 1 day DC 15
Complex (medium armor, lock) 1 week DC 20
Highly complex (heavy armor) 2 weeks DC 25

Crafting takes the specified time, cut down to the nearest hour.
In the above example, the first-level Warrior (if proficient with smith’s tools), can begin to forge a sword if he has access to all the tools he needs (the game master may possibly require a forge to smelt raw iron into ingots). As a moderate complexity item, it would take him one day if he has all the required materials, if he succeeds on a DC 15 Crafting check, and pays 1/3 the cost of a longsword.
As for gathering, you may have your character gather materials for eight hours, and perform a check to learn how much valuable materials you found (though you must declare what you gathered beforehand).
Value of Gathered Materials per 8 hours of work = ½ Check results x Proficiency x 4 in silver pieces.

If you decide to run your game in 5e, please provide feedback. It will be appreciated.
Thanks for your feedback. I have decided that I will go with 5E and I just noticed that patch 1.3

Are there any aspects of the 5E file that i should be aware of? Are all the rules for classes presented or does it follow the classes in the book except where noted? Is there a character sheet that shows the modified ability scores and hopefully resource pool.

Is the above Crafting and Gathering rules for 5E, 3.5 or Both?

Thanks again
Last edited by Wolfx on Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfx
Goblin

Post by Wolfx » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:46 pm

Does anyone know of a good location for adventure hooks that would work well with WoW and/or good generic adventures that could be recast to WoW?

Thanks

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:37 pm

Wolfx wrote:Thanks for your feedback. I have decided that I will go with 5E and I just noticed that patch 1.3

Are there any aspects of the 5E file that i should be aware of? Are all the rules for classes presented or does it follow the classes in the book except where noted? Is there a character sheet that shows the modified ability scores and hopefully resource pool.

Is the above Crafting and Gathering rules for 5E, 3.5 or Both?

Thanks again
This is a mere conversion; you will find races, classes, new equipment, spells, creatures, and rules regarding crafting or new things to do with them.
The core rules are unchanged, and you as the DM have the freedom of determining whether players can choose from classes not included. However, this conversion assumes you do have the core rulebook, as most changes are alterations to classes and new archetypes. Therefore, the rules follow the classes in the book unless otherwise noted.
For example: the Paladin not only has new archetypes when compared to the Player's Handbook, but has some elements changed from core, such as Lay on Hands and Crusader Strike (which now does more things). Other classes (such as the Warlock) depend on the Core rules of the Sorcerer, and not the 5e Warlock class.

The crafting rules are modified for 5e.
Does anyone know of a good location for adventure hooks that would work well with WoW and/or good generic adventures that could be recast to WoW?
I have put up a document that will serve until I have the PBP game running. This includes various adventure hooks of my design or conversion. Anyone is free to comment and add new ideas.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WTS ... sp=sharing

Wolfx
Goblin

Post by Wolfx » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:04 pm

After discussing things with my group they decided to with the rules as written in The World of Warcraft RPG. Can anyone tell me if there are aspects I should be on the lookout for?

@Arrius-You mention that those crafting rules are modified for 5e. Is there a location for a non 5e version? I really like your version far better than standard 3.5 rules for crafting.

Thanks again for all your help

Aric

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:58 am

Wolfx wrote:After discussing things with my group they decided to with the rules as written in The World of Warcraft RPG. Can anyone tell me if there are aspects I should be on the lookout for?
You mean 3.5, I presume.
Sure.
Wealth per Level is a concern: the game is balanced with most of 3.5's assumptions such as bonuses to attributes being pretty much required, magical arms and armor, etc.
There are weaknesses in the 3.5 official game, such as the unwieldy engineering system and magic spells' balance being out of whack.
Many prestige classes are inefficient and not worth investment. Some feats are traps, and play in 3.5 is much slower than in 5e, especially at higher levels, where the game starts to break down due to lack of mathematical foresight.

Pathfinder has backwards compatibility with 3.5, so you can use the documents I put up for conversion to Pathfinder. In the documents, I have moved all feats, spells, and classes into google docs for convenience and ease of finding, and provided some balancing errata.
That said, this is Pathfinder, not 3.5, so there are some changes, such as Combat Maneuver Offense and Combat Maneuver Defense for maneuvers,

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=14310#p163762
Here is a link to my changes to keep the game in 3.5, so you could keep using the monster manual and any preexisting adventures (if there are any, really).

I would advise to run the game according to my 5e conversion, but not wanting to run with two sources (and one contradicting the other) is understandable.
Wolfx wrote:@Arrius-You mention that those crafting rules are modified for 5e. Is there a location for a non 5e version? I really like your version far better than standard 3.5 rules for crafting.
Of course: here it is.
Crafting items (3.5/Pathfinder)
1. The user must have proficiency with the skill in question, and must designate the final form of the crafted item (such as metal to a sword, herbs to a potion, etc.)
Depending on the final form of the item, it gains a Complexity Value (see table below), which determines how much time it needs to make. Circumstances may increase the crafting duration or even move the item down the Complexity Value scale.
2. The user must expend 1/3 item’s base value.
3. The user must designate the time to craft, and at the end roll a Craft check. Crafting are broken up into segments by hour, and the user must spend a complete hour on each segment.
Special: If interrupted while crafting (so long as the interruption takes more than ten minutes) the user is interrupted, and that hour is lost without progress.
4. The user must perform the required skill check (as designated by the item’s type).

Succeeding completes the required hour, and deducts from the total remaining time until the crafting process is finished.
• Exceeding the DC by 5 halves the required time per every 5 above the DC.
• Failing the DC by 5 makes no progress during the hour, which is effectively wasted.
• Failing the DC by 10 requires the crafter to pay again for the material, but does not destroy completed work.
• Failing the DC by more than 10 points destroys the designated tool for crafting, and halves all progress (if progress is reduced to less than an hour, all work accomplished is lost).

5. Reaching to 0 remaining hours and keeping the initial investment results in the project completing, and the item being finished. It if requires charging (see magical items), it is created with full charges.

Complexity Value:
This gives a rough estimate to how complex an item is (subject to referee adjudication). In many cases, an item also specifies the complexity value it has (such as a weapon or a potion). In this use, a day of crafting means 8 hours, not 24 hours, and a week equals (56) fifty-six hours, or seven days of work, eight hours per day.

The base DC is equal to 10 + Complexity plus any circumstantial modifiers.

Item, Crafting Time, Modifier, Complexity Value
Very simple item (stick); 10 minutes; +0; x 1/2
Simple item (light weapon, club, or staff); 1 hour; +2; x1
Moderate item (sword, light armor); 1 day; +4; x2
Complex item (medium armor, lock); 1 week; +6; x3
Highly complex item (heavy armor); 2 weeks; +8; x4
Complexity value usually contributes to total cost.
A suit of iron heavy armor has a DC of 18 due to complexity. Some materials increase the DC further (such as Mithril, to which humans have a racial bonus to crafting with). The rest of the information can be found in the core rulebook.

Wolfx
Goblin

Post by Wolfx » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:48 pm

Arrius Nideal wrote:
Wolfx wrote:After discussing things with my group they decided to with the rules as written in The World of Warcraft RPG. Can anyone tell me if there are aspects I should be on the lookout for?
You mean 3.5, I presume.
Sure.
Wealth per Level is a concern: the game is balanced with most of 3.5's assumptions such as bonuses to attributes being pretty much required, magical arms and armor, etc.
There are weaknesses in the 3.5 official game, such as the unwieldy engineering system and magic spells' balance being out of whack.
Many prestige classes are inefficient and not worth investment. Some feats are traps, and play in 3.5 is much slower than in 5e, especially at higher levels, where the game starts to break down due to lack of mathematical foresight.

Pathfinder has backwards compatibility with 3.5, so you can use the documents I put up for conversion to Pathfinder. In the documents, I have moved all feats, spells, and classes into google docs for convenience and ease of finding, and provided some balancing errata.
That said, this is Pathfinder, not 3.5, so there are some changes, such as Combat Maneuver Offense and Combat Maneuver Defense for maneuvers,

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=14310#p163762
Here is a link to my changes to keep the game in 3.5, so you could keep using the monster manual and any preexisting adventures (if there are any, really).

I would advise to run the game according to my 5e conversion, but not wanting to run with two sources (and one contradicting the other) is understandable.
All those potential issues in 3.5 were what I was afraid of. I am going to read your conversion tonight. If I have any questions I will post them here. I do have 2 questions initially;

1. Would it diminish the WoW feel to stick with the spells and spell lists of 5E? I have the spell card sets and they have helped in my other 5E games and would like to keep using them if possible.

2. Is there a character sheet for your conversion, preferably a fillable version? With the changes to the stats the ones available for 5E don't quite work.

Thanks again

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:19 pm

Very well.
1. It does not do a game well to merge two systems. 5e and 3.5 do not work in tandem with one another. If you mean that you want to continue using them in a 5e game, by all means go ahead. There are some considerations such as with altered spells (such as Acid Arrow and cure spells).
2. I will endeavor to release such a character sheet in the future, since you brought it up. I will post it once it is finished.

Wolfx
Goblin

Post by Wolfx » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:24 pm

Sorry if I wasn't more clear. I was talking about using the 5E spellbook cards with your 5E conversion.

Return to “World of Warcraft”