Poll: Play by Post in Warcraft

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.

Would you be interested in joining a play-by-post in 5e Warcraft?

Plotline - Full Adventure/Campaign (Vanilla WoW, BC, Warcraft III, custom lore)
63%
PVP - Arathi Basin/Alterac Valley, etc.
No votes
Dungeon Run - Deadmines/Karazhan, etc.
13%
Solo Campaign - God Damn It, Leeroy
25%

Total votes: 8

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Poll: Play by Post in Warcraft

Post by Arrius Nideal » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:00 pm

As we progress throughout the Warcraft-to-5e Conversion, I have an announcement to make:

I have converted several WoW quests to 5e adventure modules, and am willing to DM a Play-by-Post adventure.

With that said, I wish to know how much people are willing to play (or at least observe) the game, as ran by 5e rules (see the document in my signature).

Possible FAQ and answers:
Q1. "I don't know how to play! Halp!"
Q2. "What sorts of arcane rules did you make, and how much will they disrupt vanilla 5e?"
Q3. "Can we play this in 4e/3.5/Pathfinder/GURPS/etc."
Q4. "What is the plot? Warcraft I-III (RoC/Frozen Throne)? WoW Vanilla? BC? WotLK? Cata? Pandaria? Warlords?"
Q5. "Where are we playing? Piazza?"
Q6. "How do you play Play-by-Post?"

A1. Don't worry, dear player. 5e D&D is a streamlined version of 3.5 D&D, and yours truly will run you through character creation and relevant rules from A to Z.
A2. All is present in the document. Nearly all classes are the same, except that some gain new archetypes. As for engineering and the system--we can go through it step-by-step, or drop the rules if they are cumbersome.
A3. I ran a 3.5 Warcraft game--it works, but this project is focused more on the 5e ruleset. That said, if everyone would rather play something else...
A4. Once I see this has a decent reception, I will write down all current ideas. That said, the adventures are (so far at least) short adventures, and not full campaigns. Once the ball gets rolling, we might end up with something awesome.
A5. I do not think we can play on the Piazza website. Mostly for the following reason: BBCode does not have a dice roller module.
If that issue can be addressed, we can play on this website. Otherwise, I am open to suggestions on websites (that do have a dice roller) to play the game on (Reddit/Pathfinder's Site/Giant in the Playground/Roll20/etc.)
A6. It's simple: The GM sets up the scene, the players declare what they want to do, and the GM then plays out the scene according to their initiative. We need dice rollers for that purpose.

Discussions on which website we could play on, what story to tell, and other questions are all welcome in this thread.
Fire away.
Last edited by Arrius Nideal on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mcgeneral
Goblin

Re: Poll: Play by Post in Warcraft

Post by Mcgeneral » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:28 pm

Very much yes. I have been GM'ing my 3.5 wowrpg group for 2 years now. I'm dying to get back to playing myself. Got experience with 3.5, not with 5e. But willing to learn!

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:11 am

Anyone have ideas to pitch? We can sort out the one with the most interest by a voting process. Here are my own ideas. Feel free to add your own.
Note: I have altered the poll to reflect this topic.

Warcraft III Reign of Chaos/Frozen Throne. Play at a certain scenario (Defending Mount Hyjal, etc.), or we can run a spin-off with altered lore.
Vanilla WoW as a sandbox. Idea is pretty simple. Choose a faction and play. I will split my GMing efforts between both teams (if they exist), and the timeline is focused four years after Warcraft III. Defias, Onyxia messing up Stormwind, tensions between Durotar/Theramore, Mankrik's wife, the Ashbringer Lore, Zul'Gurub, Dragons of the Emerald Dream
Burning Crusade WoW as a sandbox. The Black Portal opened, and every faction has a slice of Outworld's cake. Draenei and Blood elves appear. Are you prepared?
Wrath of the Lich King WoW as a sandbox. Classy as all heck. Explore Northrend, and push back Arthas to his frozen throne, and tell him to sit down and behave.
Cataclysm WoW as a sandbox. Yeah.
Mists of Pandarea WoW as a sandbox. The mists part--what might we see within?
Spin-off WoW. What do you think should be changed with WoW? How would the Alliance be without Stormwind? What if the Forsaken never joined the Horde? What if Prince Kael'Thas never went insane? All these and more can be explored.

Or if we are less on sandboxes--

PVP in battlegrounds. No plot needed--raw PVP (Arathi Basin, Alterac Valley, etc.). May evolve into gameplay if everyone gets comfortable enough with the mechanics.
Dungeon Raids. Takes some time--jump from dungeon to dungeon. Naxxramas, Karazhan (!), Blackwing Lair, etc are prime candidates. Freeing Gnomeregan, are we?
Solo Campaigns. Self-explanatory. One dude plays, and the rest begin to join in and out of the main storyline.

Ideas?
Last edited by Arrius Nideal on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mcgeneral
Goblin

Post by Mcgeneral » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:52 am

I myself like the Vanilla sandbox idea. So the state of the lore when vanilla came out. Couple of years after the last war. Plaguelands are plagued. Nax has not arrived. Molten Core is a threat. Onyxia is in stormwind. Stuff like that. And I would prefer a balanced game with much RP and a decent amount of combat. Combat only gets very stale.

Gilbert Frey
Kobold

Post by Gilbert Frey » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:06 pm

After I saw this, I would like to show my view of the campaign.
The image I would like the game to look like a full-story line with a ton of side plots that connect with each other, just before the time of the culling of Stratholme. With a healthy amount of combat with interesting enemies and villains. I would like a very balanced and creative adventure with a lot of plot hooks. Good luck on the conversion!

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:44 am

Hey, Gil. Nice to see you finally signed up.

Ok. I am going to add a recruitment thread for those interested according to the results on this poll.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:44 pm

If you haven't already done so, it might be a good idea to post about this in the Crystal Globe forum as well. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Mcgeneral
Goblin

Post by Mcgeneral » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:47 pm

Any news on this?

Mcgeneral
Goblin

Post by Mcgeneral » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:27 pm

Sorry to hear that mate! Good luck with RL, it can be tough. Let me/us know if/when you know more.

Mcgeneral
Goblin

Post by Mcgeneral » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:14 pm

I got a message on the facebooks with a link to this thread. Shared it. Hopefully we will find more peeps.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:34 am

All right: I have good news.
I have found an excellent place to run the game, and have been testing it. It's the RPG Crossing. Link.
I will start recruitment in a few days (or weeks) after writing up the story. So far, the campaign is set in the Warcraft III Era.

Lordaeron is beginning to suffer from the secretive Cult of the Damned; the orcish internment camps are suffering from instability as a young warchief rallies and frees his people, threatening a third rise of the Horde.
Stormwind is in the process of rebuilding, and Kalimdor is a forgotten continent visited only by rogues and adventurers.

Once I put up recruitment, I will expect to see everyone who is interested in playing with a character idea.

Until then!

Mcgeneral
Goblin

Post by Mcgeneral » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:56 am

Awesome news Arrius. Let us know when the recruitment opens. Looking forward to your campaign.

Any plans if it will be a horde, alliance, neutral or mixed campaign?

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:21 am

Mcgeneral wrote:Awesome news Arrius. Let us know when the recruitment opens. Looking forward to your campaign.

Any plans if it will be a horde, alliance, neutral or mixed campaign?
Mixed, with guidelines.
The RPG Crossing allows for me to run several sub-threads under the same campaign header. There will be a main thread for Alliance, Horde, and a neutral chatroom. I can arrange for characters who want to leave the main parties (Alliance/Horde) and run a solo-campaign for them as well.

Return to “World of Warcraft”