[vapourware] Warcraft III Player's Guide

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.

[vapourware] Warcraft III Player's Guide

Postby Big Mac » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:06 pm

I just saw a mention of an unpublished D&D accessory called 88291 Warcraft III Player's Guide on the TSR Archive page for 3rd Edition products. :shock:

The book must have been close to publication, when it was cancelled, as there is a Warcraft III Player's Guide (D&D Campaign) page on Amazon, that states it was due to be published in February 2004. According to Amazon the authors were by James Jacobs and Paul Peterson.

Wowpedia has a bit more information on it's Warcraft III Player's Guide:
Wowpedia wrote:Warcraft III Player's Guide is the title of a cancelled D&D campaign book set in the Warcraft universe.

Product Description

Everything a D&D player needs to campaign in the Warcraft® III universe, contained in one comprehensive volume.

Warcraft III is a popular computer game that has now been adapted to the D&D experience. Since the original Warcraft: Orcs and Humans computer game was released in 1994, the series has sold nearly 5 million copies worldwide. Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness™ won multiple Game of the Year awards in the computer game industry, and combined with its expansion, Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal, has sold over 3 million units.

They do not have a picture of the proposed cover, but they do have this information:

Wowpedia wrote:Author(s): James Jacobs and Paul Peterson
Pages: 160
Publisher: Wizards of the West Coast
Published: March 28, 2002
Binding: Paperback
Retail price: US: $26.95
EU: N/A
UK:
ISBN 10: ISBN 0786926651
ISBN 13: ISBN 9780786926657

Has anyone ever seen any mention of this book before? Did any previews come out, or any sort of press releases to explain what was going to be in the book?

Has anyone ever spoken to James Jacobs and Paul Peterson about how much of the book they finished before it got scrapped?

Does anyone know if Wizards of the Coast sold on the D&D World of Warcraft licence to Sword & Sorcery Studios, as a result of not being able to finish this book, or if there is a different story to that product line?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [vapourware] Warcraft III Player's Guide

Postby Arrius Nideal » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:09 am

Regarding this, I dropped a question at Jacobs' thread on Paizo's website. Here is his response.

I finished work entirely on that project; it was going to be my first hardcover credit for D&D, but then WotC decided to get out of the licensed game scene (in part, I believe, to an under-performing Starcraft RPG project they'd just done, but I could be mis-remembering).

The project was in editing when it got cancelled.

My section was most of the night elf stuff, the sample adventure, the blood elf stuff, and a chunk of spells and monsters and orc stuff. All of this was a few years before World of Warcraft hit, of course.

They gave me a spiral-bound printout of the edited but not laid out complete book, which I still have around here somewhere, but the book itself was never published. WotC sent the files over to Sword & Sorcery studios and they went ahead and did their own d20 version. I got a thank-you credit on the front page, as did the rest of us who worked on the book, but the contents were pretty different at that point.

ink

Basically, most of the possible book was consolidated under the World of Warcraft RPG and scattered into subsequent materials.
Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Re: [vapourware] Warcraft III Player's Guide

Postby Big Mac » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:24 pm

Arrius Nideal wrote:Regarding this, I dropped a question at Jacobs' thread on Paizo's website. Here is his response.

I finished work entirely on that project; it was going to be my first hardcover credit for D&D, but then WotC decided to get out of the licensed game scene (in part, I believe, to an under-performing Starcraft RPG project they'd just done, but I could be mis-remembering).

The project was in editing when it got cancelled.

My section was most of the night elf stuff, the sample adventure, the blood elf stuff, and a chunk of spells and monsters and orc stuff. All of this was a few years before World of Warcraft hit, of course.

They gave me a spiral-bound printout of the edited but not laid out complete book, which I still have around here somewhere, but the book itself was never published. WotC sent the files over to Sword & Sorcery studios and they went ahead and did their own d20 version. I got a thank-you credit on the front page, as did the rest of us who worked on the book, but the contents were pretty different at that point.

ink

Basically, most of the possible book was consolidated under the World of Warcraft RPG and scattered into subsequent materials.

Thanks Arrius.

Do you know if Wizards of the Coast sold on the Warcraft licence...

...or if Sword & Sorcery Studio picked it their licence independently of WotC deciding to scrap the Warcraft III book/product line?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to World of Warcraft