Frost Brand Hungers

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Marduk_Bathory
Orc

Frost Brand Hungers

Post by Marduk_Bathory » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:02 am

An example of the font Friz Quadrata used to make a weapon from the Player's Handbook (which was an sword but, as you can see, I changed it to an axe).

I had a better version but apparently it was too big.

Marduk_Bathory
Orc

Re: Frost Brand Hungers

Post by Marduk_Bathory » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:05 am

D'OH! I could have just linked the original without showing an image of it here!
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z191 ... titled.jpg

This was done in MS Word so there are proper speech marks for the flavour text in yellow. Unfortunately I couldn't get the right colours in word so I had to edit them in paint after, using a screen shot to get the colours from the game.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:30 pm

What does "Frost Brand Hungers" mean? Is this a name of a quest from the MMO?

Also, what's the aim of your project here? Are you hoping to make some sort of deck of magic item cards that look very similar to things that come up on the screen in the MMO? If you are, then it looks pretty impressive.

What you may find (especially if you want to eventually make a bunch of cards that other gamers can print out and use) is that massive areas of black can cause printing problems. (We have black sidebars on Spelljammer products and the black in sometimes bleeds into the lighter letters, making it hard to read them.) The other problem with large areas of black is that the ink can make the paper soaking wet and cause it to distort.

A lot tabletop fans actually seem to copy the style of the official tabletop Warcraft and World of Warcraft books. So if you want to start making things, you might want to have an experiment with that style. (You might want to have a look at Even More Magic & Mayhem to see the style that other fans are copying.)

Don't forget though, that if you are going to help create netbooks, people will need the actual text - not just pictures of text. Otherwise they will not be able to copy and paste text or use the search tools in their PDF reader to find specific words.

Having said all that, this is very creative, so I'd love to know what you are aiming to do with this.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:34 am

This is quite grand. Since it's 5e, I must ask if I can use it in the forum's conversion project.

Do you have ideas for other weapon conversions? I'll be glad to incorporate them as well.

[quote=Big Mac]What does "Frost Brand Hungers" mean? Is this a name of a quest from the MMO?[/quote]
It's probably a play on Arthas's "Frostmourne hungers" quote, since Frostmourne devours souls.

Marduk_Bathory
Orc

Post by Marduk_Bathory » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:31 am

Big Mac wrote:What does "Frost Brand Hungers" mean? Is this a name of a quest from the MMO?
No, actually this was from WC3; a soundbite from when you clicked on Arthas,
during the Scourge campaign.
Also, what's the aim of your project here? Are you hoping to make some sort of deck of magic item cards that look very similar to things that come up on the screen in the MMO? If you are, then it looks pretty impressive.
I can't say I haven't thought about it but I made this just for kicks. I happen to have the fonts used in the MMO (quests + in game mail are in Morpheus, which I believe is freely available on many sites, everything else, such as tool tips for loot or spells, are in Friz Quadrata. I think both are also used in the WoW player's manual). I figured people here might take more of an interest than the average D&D or WoW player ;)
What you may find (especially if you want to eventually make a bunch of cards that other gamers can print out and use) is that massive areas of black can cause printing problems .... The other problem with large areas of black is that the ink can make the paper soaking wet and cause it to distort.
not to mention a massive drain on printer ink, which I just can't afford :P
Having said all that, this is very creative
That's nice of you to say, but this is basically an existing D&D item from the Dungeon Master's Guide, written in a way that resembles the weapon descriptions from the WoW MMO. I can't claim any creative credit since I added nothing of my own to it.

Marduk_Bathory
Orc

Post by Marduk_Bathory » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:51 am

Arrius Nideal wrote: Since it's 5e, I must ask if I can use it in the forum's conversion project.
Help yourself :) I can't claim any ownership over it. I have just checked the SRD-OGL and it does appear in there, so it's free to use and I doubt WoW can say anything about the format they used in game, it doesn't seem like something you can register :)
Do you have ideas for other weapon conversions? I'll be glad to incorporate them as well.
As I said, this wasn't even a conversion, I took this from the DMG almost word for word, changing it to fit a template. Here's how it reads in the OGL;
  • Frost Brand
    Weapon (any sword), very rare (requires attunement) 
    When you hit with an attack using this magic sword,  the target takes an extra 1d6 cold damage. In  addition, while you hold the sword, you have  resistance to fire damage.   In freezing temperatures, the blade sheds bright  light in a 10‑foot radius and dim light for an  additional 10 feet.   When you draw this weapon, you can extinguish  all nonmagical flames within 30 feet of you. This  property can be used no more than once per hour. 
Arrius Nideal wrote:
Big Mac wrote:What does "Frost Brand Hungers" mean? Is this a name of a quest from the MMO?[/quote=Big Mac]
It's probably a play on Arthas's "Frostmourne hungers" quote, since Frostmourne devours souls.
Yes :twisted:

Marduk_Bathory
Orc

Post by Marduk_Bathory » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:29 am

I know the time between your replies and mine was a tad ridiculous, and I'm sorry, but I couldn't find my bookmark for this page and I have been very busy.

Return to “World of Warcraft”