WoW 5e Weapon Conversions

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.

WoW 5e Weapon Conversions

Postby Marduk_Bathory » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:35 am

Arrius Nideal asked if he could use the statistics for a weapon I used, but all I did was use a weapon from the DMG and type it up in the style of the WoW MMO.

I hope it doesn't sound too condescending but it's relatively simple to take take the weapons found in WoW and use the OGL magical weapons and items as a template.

For example, if I was to run an adventure set in Blackrock Depths and the party killed Dagran, I might drop Ironfoe. I'd probably use the Dwarven Thrower as a template (also in the OGL);

Dwarven Thrower
    Weapon (warhammer), very rare (requires attunement by a dwarf)
    You gain a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. It has the thrown property with a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet. When you hit with a ranged attack using this weapon, it deals an extra 1d8 damage or, if the target is a giant, 2d8 damage. Immediately after the attack, the weapon flies back to your hand.

I'd probably alter the attunement to, "requires attunement, unless you're a dwarf," and I'd likely merge the items, rather than just stick a WoW name on the D&D item

Ironfoe
    Requires Attunement
    Versatile . . . . . . . . . . . . Warhammer
    4 - 11, or 4 - 13 Damage
    (1d8 or 1d10 + 3 bludgeoning damage)
    Requires 2 - 4 Hours for Attunement
    (no requirement for Dwarves)

Equip: Can be used as a thrown weapon
    (range 20/60), dealing 1d8 damage to
    target, 2d8 if target is a Giant.
    Chance on Use: 1d6 chance to perform
    an extra attack against a target in
    melee or thrown range

"Now prepare to meet your doom at the hands of
    Ragnaros' most powerful servant!"

(Or I might make them do the same encounter over and give them a 1d% chance to see if this item drops :twisted: )

I made it 'Chance on use' so you can try again even if you miss.
Last edited by Marduk_Bathory on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Marduk_Bathory
Orc

Re: WoW 5e Weapon Conversions

Postby Marduk_Bathory » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:40 am

I meant to link the 5e Open Game License in the post above.

(Magical items + Weapons begin at page 206)
Marduk_Bathory
Orc

Postby Marduk_Bathory » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:28 pm

I thought I'd make a couple of bows, and no bow is as iconic to veterans of the WoW MMO Rhok'delar.

I did this because I noticed a few magic bows in pathfinder and 3.5e had certain stats, ( like, for example, a once per day magical buff on the arrow you shoot). I vividly recalled the melee weapon buffs that had no stat increases but did have a chance on hit of an unusual effect (deals extra fire damage, debuffs your target, buffs the wielder, etc., etc.)

I was surprised to find that very few vanilla bows had such chances on effect, that it was largely restricted to melee weapons (with occasional exceptions). (I never played a hunter, at least not to level 60, or I guess I would have noticed this).

Rhok'delar, Longbow
    of the Ancient Keepers

Attunes on Creation
    Ranged . . . . . . . . . . . Longbow
    4 - 13 Damage
    (1d10 + 3 piercing damage)
    +5% Critical Hit Chance
    Classes: Hunter
    Requires Epic Quest Attunement

"...the Burning Legion are still active in
    our world... Nature wilts and weeps
    in their presence."

The original had a +crit chance (I don't remember how much of a chance it was, before they change undiluted +crit% to crit rating, I suspect it was 2%) which I represented by adding +5% crit chance. (Sorry to patronise, but for those who, like me, suck at maths, 1 in 20 = 5%)

It also had extra attack power, which I represented by making it a +3 weapon and giving it the damage of a crossbow. (I don't seem to recall that WoW, the MMO, had any differences in damage between guns, bows and crossbows, so why not? Especially when you consider what you had to go through to get this bow!)

The flavour text wasn't included with the original, it's a paraphrased quote from the quest giver, Vartrus. It seemed weird that such an epic weapon, (one where the original quest seed (no pun intended) began AT THE END of the 1st tier raid dungeon and then required hunters to slay demons *without even the help of their pets* and then later killing Onyxia just to get the bow string), would have no such text.

Last edited by Marduk_Bathory on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marduk_Bathory
Orc

Postby Marduk_Bathory » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:40 pm

Outrider's Bow
    Attunes on Equip
    Ranged . . . . . . . . . . Shortbow
    1 - 6 Damage
    (1d6 piercing damage)
    +1 Agility
    +1 Stamina
    Requires 2 hours of attunement

"A fine shortbow, bestowed upon recruits
    of the Warsong Outriders once they
    have proven themselves in battle"

I made this a shortbow, since it's so readily and easily available in game and has repeating iterations at higher levels, though I don't think it had any bonus stats until level 45 (or there abouts), when it gained a small amount of agility and a heft amount of stamina. As you can see I've given it equal amounts of each.

Again, this wasn't something that had flavour text in-game, I just added it because it's just something I enjoy.

Marduk_Bathory
Orc

Postby Marduk_Bathory » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:07 am

I don't know why there weren't more weapons like this in WoW, let alone Vanilla WoW. The closest thing to it were legendary weapons, such as Sulfuron or Shadowmourne, which involved creating epics and upgrading them into legendaries. I don't think there was any other instance than this that involved taking 2 separate weapons and combining them to make another weapon entirely, of higher level.

Jang'thraze the Protector
    Binds on Attunement
    Finesse . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Shortsword
    1 - 6 Damage
    (1d6 piercing damage)

Equip: Once per day this sword may cast Armor of
    Agathys on its wielder as a 3rd level spell. This
    recharges the following day, at dawn.

"The blade has markings in troll with missing words, in an
    indecipherable order. On gripping the hilt you feel a faint,
    magical vibration that seems to try to guide you in a
    particular direction"

I removed the text, "Use: Combines Jang'thraze and Sang'thraze to form the mighty sword, Sul'thraze." I'd prefer to drop hints for players to work this out for themselves.

Sang'thraze the Deflector
    Binds on Attunement
    Finesse . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Shortsword
    1 - 6 Damage
    (1d6 piercing damage)

Equip: When an enemy beats your AC with a melee
    attack, but only within a margin of 2, you may use
    your reaction to parry that attack with Sang'thraze,
    using a dex save against that enemy's Dexterity
    modifier +10

"The blade has markings in troll with missing words, in an
    indecipherable order. On gripping the hilt you feel a faint,
    magical vibration that seems to try to guide you in a
    particular direction"

Sul'thraze the Lasher
    Binds on Attunement
    Unique
    Versatile . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Long Sword
    3 - 11 or 3 - 13 Damage
    (1d8 or 1d10 +3 slashing damage)
    Attunes as an action

Chance on hit: Strikes an enemy with the rage of Sul'thraze.
    Lowers target's Strength modifier by 2 (until they complete
    a long rest) and deals 2d4 Shadow damage. If they fail a
    Spirit saving throw (DC 14 + your Spirit modifier) they take
    an additional d4 damage at the start of their next 3 turns.

"Jang'thraze and Sang'thraze are drawn to one another with an increasingly
    stronger force as they become close in proximity. When put together they
    will combine to form the mighty Sul'thraze."

I put the flavour text here, as DMs read aloud text.

Marduk_Bathory
Orc

Postby Marduk_Bathory » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:41 am

Are these things useful to anybody? I was going to move on to armour and trinkets but if nobody thinks they'd use them I'll stop and move on to other things.
Marduk_Bathory
Orc

Postby Zeromaru X » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:35 am

Yeah, I guess they'll be of use if we play using Arrius' conversion. Are those original creations of yours? I don't recall weapons by those names in the game.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Arrius Nideal » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:14 am

As I see it, some are core, and some are unique.

I will make use of magic items and trinkets, in fact, so long as they are original and not from core.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby Marduk_Bathory » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:10 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:Yeah, I guess they'll be of use if we play using Arrius' conversion. Are those original creations of yours? I don't recall weapons by those names in the game.

Ironfoe drops from the Emperor in Blackrock Depths, I used a weapon from the OGL and added features from the in game version.

Rhok'delar (And I'm a little surprised you haven't heard of this one) is a quest reward, for a hunters only quest beginning in Molten Core with an Ancient Petrified Lead from the Cache of the Firelord, which spawns after killing Majordomo Executus. The quest gave no details about where to go, the description just said;
The epidermis of the leaf glows a bright green. The surface is extremely rugose, exposing several veins and wrinkles.

If you had to take a guess, you would say this leaf came from something ancient and powerful.

Maybe you should find the original owner of this leaf?
with no further hints. The NPC you return it to is Vartrus, a petrified Ancient of Lore in Felwood. He sends you on a quest to kill some demons, hiding and disguised as mortals around the world. They appear as friendly when you interact with them, but you have further options when you have this quest. The challenge is that you have to complete the quest ALONE. You can have buffs, even from auras, but the moment another PC appeared on the demon's hate list it despawned.

As a reward you'd get an epic staff, which gave awesome hunter stats, and the next quest would open from, Stoma the Ancient, to make a bow string. This required an Mature Black Dragon Sinew that dropped from Onyxia. If this quest were added today it, the final weapon it made would be Legendary rather than Epic.

The Outrider's Bow can be purchased from the Warsong Outriders quartermaster (Barrens, WSG entrance), when you were either honoured or revered with the Warsong Outriders. This is a cheap item but I figured that since it represented an elite horde unit it was worthy of a mention.

Jang'thraze and Sang'thraze were both 1-handed swords that dropped in Zul'Farrak. A night elf NPC from the Mithril Order, based in Gadgetzhan would tell you of its legend :shock: . If you had both swords you could combine them to form Sul'thraze, a 2-handed epid, by simply clicking on them. But as ZF was a 40-45 dungeon, few people were prepared to farm for it.
Marduk_Bathory
Orc

Postby Marduk_Bathory » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:13 pm

Arrius Nideal wrote:As I see it, some are core, and some are unique.

I will make use of magic items and trinkets, in fact, so long as they are original and not from core.

All of the item's names are from the WoW MMO, only one uses stats from an official D&D source, but it's in the Open Game License so it's perfectly find to use it. The rest all use original stats, adapted from the items found in game.
Marduk_Bathory
Orc

Return to World of Warcraft