Photoshop/InDesign Designer Needed!

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.

Photoshop/InDesign Designer Needed!

Postby Arrius Nideal » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:23 pm

The Warcraft 5e Conversion Project is 6 months old and reached over 4,000 clicks and views so far, and is currently being used by no less than three ongoing games (one of which is the Warcraft Legacies project in RPG Crossing). The entire community is to thank for this progress.
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=13979
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=13944

However, the current medium for display of the document is a little old and not up to the times (using Google Docs), which is not very presentable.

I wish to reach out to the other members of the Piazza if we have any experienced graphic designers to make our document more professional-looking.
Something like this (http://imgur.com/a/3PP5C)

Does anyone know a person with the ability or willingness to help improve the project with a little graphic design?
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Re: Photoshop/InDesign Designer Needed!

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:09 pm

Thanks for making this.

Arrius Nideal wrote:Does anyone know a person with the ability or willingness to help improve the project with a little graphic design?

Hmm. Argentmantle is a genius at this sort of thing, but he hasn't logged into The Piazza for several months. Maybe he is off sorting out some real-life stuff.

Have you spoken to any World of Warcraft fan artists (on anywhere like deviantArt) to see if any of them would be willing to let you use any of their pictures in the netbook?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:51 am

That would be my big question, not being familiar with the Warcraft community. Has Blizzard made available any official artwork for community use, or is there any other community artwork resource to be able to draw from in order to get the "Warcraft" artistic feel?
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby agathokles » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:33 pm

Looking on Google, I found a fansite kit.

The problem with InDesign and the like is that these tools are for professionals, so their cost and learning curve are steep. Also, they require that you layout the text mostly manually, which is pretty long to do for large texts.
Unless you can find someone who's got a lot of time to spend, my recommendation would be to use an automated layout/typesetting tool.

Myself, I use LaTeX, which is quite powerful, although it won't get you as far as a true professional using InDesign or the like. However, it took me about two hours to get this sample. I had to spend most of the time converting your source file to the input format desired by the tool, but then I didn't have to do anything else except adapting a couple of bars from the fansite kit. I could have easily added a parchment background, although that kind of thing hampers readability and makes printing a huge mess.

You can compare the text with that of any issue of Threshold Magazine, which is laid out manually and on which the style I used here is based (same fonts, although here used at 10pt instead of 12, same page layout), to see the differences.
Note that I didn't have time to, e.g., format correctly all the tables (tables which were tables in the Google Doc should be preserved, those that were just text with tabs will not appear as nice) and itemized lists (the rtf2latex converter did not work well on those) -- I spent most of the time removing the manual formatting of the Google Doc file, which would otherwise override the style (and look very plain).

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Arrius Nideal » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:19 am

@Big Mac: I'll check regarding that. Initially I'll refrain from making use of character images--perhaps we can gradually enter that phase.

@Cthulhudrew: There is the Even More Magic & Mayhem book, which has several pieces of fan art.

@Agatholkles: LaTeX does seem pretty good. I'll explore it. Thank you!
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby agathokles » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:58 am

You're welcome. In case, you may find useful as a starting point the sources of the sample I provided above. I've only included the text, not the three images (upper bar, lower bar, and the logo), as it would likely be better to re-create them from scratch.

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby oPolden » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:01 am

Hello, is this project still looking for a designer?

My name is Ørjan, I'm a developer from Norway with a fair bit of experience working with visual design and layouting, working with both Photoshop and InDesign regularly at the office and otherwise. I've been playing the Warcraft games for a pretty long time, and Dungeons & Dragons since the release of 5th Edition. Came across this project by chance, while looking around to see if anyone had done a 5E conversion for the Warcraft setting.

I would've attached a quick preview page or two to this post, as a quick showcase, but I didn't have time for that before I had to get on with the day. But you're still out looking for a designer with experience in doing this kind of work, I could get something up when I have the time.

Please message me back soon!
oPolden
Goblin

Postby oPolden » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:07 am

I found the time the other day to work out a decent style template, putting fonts from World of Warcraft to the colour and text styling of the 5th Edition sourcebooks. Did the parchment backdrop textures myself for this, and put in official Blizzard artwork for the visuals. The first page of text is lifted from the Warcraft wiki sites, with the rest from the Warcraft 5E Drive document.

http://imgur.com/a/q5BCd

As far as I know, Blizzard has a semi-lenient and very industry-standard ruling on using official assets, in that it needs to be private, non-commercial, and attributed. Technically it also needs to be unmodified, though they don't tend to go after non-profit fan projects that are using official Warcraft concept and promotional artwork for Warcraft-centric ends.
oPolden
Goblin

Postby Arrius Nideal » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:58 pm

Hey there, oPolden,

Current design of the core document (converted rules) is being worked on by a team member, but we appreciate good talent (of which is clearly present!). We would love to have you on the team.
If time is a concern, we could do better with work on the Deadmines dungeon first and see how things go from there.

Glad to have you working with us. :D
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby oPolden » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Well, doing layouting and visuals for a dungeon/adventure module wouldn't take too much time. And it'd be a chance to lay templating for for how the content in them is structured.

Is the Deadmines dungeon file already finished, entirely, or are there still things being tweaked in it?
oPolden
Goblin

Postby Arrius Nideal » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:27 pm

It's pretty much complete.
When the next update comes around (which I believe will be around a week or two), I may have to change a few things, but it'll also be minor tweaks.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby oPolden » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:27 am

Then I can just get to it, really, when I have the time!

As far as tweaking goes, if I find text that could be reworded for clarity, or new textual segments that could be added. I can just add those as suggestions in the Drive document?
oPolden
Goblin

Postby Arrius Nideal » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:48 pm

You can add suggestions to things that need tweaking. Send a request for editing and I'll grant it.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Postby oPolden » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:24 pm

Could there be an "development" document for it, separate from the main file? Given that the module is out there and available for people to try and play, I don't really want to make comments and suggestions on that file. :)

Or alternatively, access to make edits in the Warcraft 5e folder, and I could do it myself! I'd send a request to the folder itself, but unfortunately that's only possible with actual documents (unsurprisingly, though).
oPolden
Goblin

Postby Arrius Nideal » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:57 am

So far I have the development folder offline in my PC (and backed up) and pretty close to hand. The development folder so far is the base forum page, or this page.
Arrius Nideal
Bugbear

Return to World of Warcraft