5e Combat Overhaul

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Arrius Nideal
Ogre

5e Combat Overhaul

Post by Arrius Nideal » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:02 am

This is an ongoing project to overhaul combat in the World of Warcraft 5e Conversion to be more dynamic.

Combat overhaul is based on a simple principle: Your class has a resource pool (named combo points for rogues, rage for warriors, holy power for paladins, etc.) that increases in combat by building moves, and is expended by finishing moves.
The points normally fade after leaving combat, and can only be gained when using these actions against a qualifying threat (thus you can’t carry a bag of rats and beat them up to enter combat with a full resource pool).

I've been inspired by Matt Mercer's work on the D&D Classes for Warcraft short to develop this idea for our project, so credit where it is due.

If this is received well, we can implement this as a part of the WoW5e Conversion, turn it into a feat, or keep it as an optional subset of rules for our project.

Progress
Alchemist WIP; [Muse Points], gained by observing alchemical effects with an action (bonus if on self), or by seeing potions fail in serious combat (miss the target or have no effect due to saving throw), spent on regaining spontaneous potion uses, taking advantage of potion miscibility (new rule), and empowering potions (as witch doctor's mojo ability)
Death Knight WIP; [Runic Power], gained by taking damage and casting rune spells, spent for runic strikes, auras, and cheaper specialization spells
Druid WIP; [Balance Points], gained by dealing damage and healing, spent for special wildshape uses (agile and brutal form, which gives access to rage or combo points with certain transformations) and cheaper spells
Hunter WIP; [Focus Pool], gained by certain shot effects and by the pet, avoiding damage, spent on shot effects and various iconic hunter abilities
Mage WIP; [Arcane Charges (renamed per spec)], gained by dealing a certain damage type or successfully casting spells, spent on bonuses to concentration, cheaper spell cost, and extra damage
Monk WIP; [Chi (was KI)], gained by dealing damage and avoiding hits, spent on classical Ki effects (flurry, patient defense, step of the wind, and ki powers). The transformation from Ki as a descending resource to a dynamic one also involves some rebalancing.
Paladin WIP; [Holy Power], gained and spent as the Death Knight's Runic Power, except with more defensive abilities
Priest WIP; [Holy orbs (chakra orbs, shadow orbs, death orbs as per spec)], gained by healing and dealing damage, spent on mp cost reduction, iconic priest abilities, and regaining channel divinity uses
Rogue Complete; [Combo Points], gained by using Sinister Strike and Cheap Shot, spent on Eviscerate and other finishing attacks. Talents have been altered for integration.
Shaman WIP; [Elemental Charges], gained and spent as the priest, but with more offensive abilities
Tinker WIP; [Mastery Points]; gained by dealing damage or healing with devices (shooting with guns, blowing things up, using a mech to run over a creature), and even losing devices to malfunction (to compensate). Points are spent on ignoring future malfunctions, giving charges to a device, and even granting a superfunction.
Warlock WIP; [Soul Shards], gained by dealing damage with spells and summons, spent on quickening summons, more accurate attacks, and cabal casting
Warrior Complete; {Rage points], gained by taking hits and dishing out damage, spent on various iconic warrior attacks and abilities

Below is the link to the ongoing project.
Link on Google Docs

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: 5e Combat Overhaul

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:55 pm

I'm a 3e fan, but it's great to see you continuing work on this. I hope it helps a lot of people.
Arrius Nideal wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:02 am
I've been inspired by Matt Mercer's work on the D&D Classes for Warcraft short to develop this idea for our project, so credit where it is due.
I didn't see anything about Matt Mercer working on Warcraft stuff. Do you have a link to the video/webpage?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:53 am

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:55 pm
I didn't see anything about Matt Mercer working on Warcraft stuff. Do you have a link to the video/webpage?
You can find it here: https://www.wowhead.com/news=286204/mat ... ow-classes

pagnabros
Goblin

Post by pagnabros » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:02 pm

I think this to be a wonderful idea, I always liked the combo points/rage points and Matt Mercer has implement them pretty well as far as I can tell. My only piece of advice is to give them only to "martial" classes. IMO full spellcasters are already complicated as they are and don't really need a new layer of complexity

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:09 pm

pagnabros wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:02 pm
I think this to be a wonderful idea, I always liked the combo points/rage points and Matt Mercer has implement them pretty well as far as I can tell. My only piece of advice is to give them only to "martial" classes. IMO full spellcasters are already complicated as they are and don't really need a new layer of complexity
I think that 4th Edition D&D had some abilities that martial classes had.

I've not familiar with 4e rules, but I do know that people said they were more like the World of Warcraft MMO. So that could be a good thing, if you want a Warcraft conversion to D&D.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:34 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:09 pm
I think that 4th Edition D&D had some abilities that martial classes had.
That's correct. In 4e, each class has "powers," which is a term that can refer to a fighter's maneuvers, a wizard's spells, or a cleric's ability to petition a deity. Martial classes had just as many powers as spellcasters, although they may have very different mechanics and be flavored completely differently. It's a feature of the edition's design that's been pretty divisive. Some people enjoy having classes be mechanically balanced and have the roughly the same complexity, while for others, the disparity between classes is a feature that they enjoy.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:07 am

The combat overhaul has been completed, and is at the bug-fixing and playtesting phase.
Link
Instead of being class-specific, the mechanic works by you choosing specific building and finishing attacks. Some classes are more suited for some mechanics over others, with the rogue (or any class with stealth) benefitting best from the skulk and startle building attacks, spellcasters choosing blast (defeat if a healer) and preserve, and warriors choosing damage and defeat, etc., and choosing the appropriate finishing attacks.

Some normal class abilities have special benefits when having the evolved combatant feat.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to stress test or playtest the mechanics due to other projects (Kingdoms strongholds and war and the other wounding rules), so any feedback is appreciated and will help the development of this project.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:05 am

I like the direction this is going in. I don't run 5e, so I can't provide in-depth feedback, but I'm interested to hear how playtesting goes.

Return to “World of Warcraft”