[resource] WoWWiki (a World of Warcraft wiki)

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[resource] WoWWiki (a World of Warcraft wiki)

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:14 pm

"WoWWiki is a wiki dedicated to cataloguing Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe (with a focus on World of Warcraft), covering the entire Warcraft series of games, RPG reference books, strategy guides, novels and other sources." (That means that this wiki does cover the RPG, but it mostly focuses on the MMO.)

WoWWiki is hosted by Wikia, so it is backed up by the support of the Wikia webteam. That means that this wiki is not going to vanish unexpectedly, like so many D&D websites sadly do.

Anyhoo, I think you should give WoWWiki a look. It is obviously stacked towards the MMO, but it does seem to be a good place to get information that can expand the Warcraft RPG. And it seems like the people making the three Warcraft netbooks are actually working to convert WoW things into d20 System format.

And if you want to talk about WoWWiki, or have any questions about how to join in with wiki editing, please feel free to post in this thread.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Re: [resource] WoWWiki (a World of Warcraft wiki)

Post by Bonetti » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:21 pm

Many (most?) of the WoW Wiki admins have left this Wikia-based wiki and started a new one called WoWpedia (http://www.wowpedia.org/). I haven't gone through it yet, but they're off to a pretty solid start in page creation/importation.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:24 pm

Bonetti wrote:Many (most?) of the WoW Wiki admins have left this Wikia-based wiki and started a new one called WoWpedia (http://www.wowpedia.org/). I haven't gone through it yet, but they're off to a pretty solid start in page creation/importation.
LOL...did they give a reason?
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:30 am

night_druid wrote:LOL...did they give a reason?
Yup. The host of WoWWiki (Wikia) imposed changes which a decent chunk of the administrators and contributors did not like, so they forked to a Curse-hosted wiki.

The biggest one (which caused the split) was a new skin which broke some WoW Wiki features, including article layout and the mouse-over tooltips for items, etc. (Trust me -- for a WoW player, the loss of the tooltips is major -- it was the only reason I ever enabled javascript on wowwiki's pages :-) )

Note that there was already tension between the WoW Wiki community and Wikia over increasingly intrusive ads and other administrative headaches, so this has been more of a slowly building split than a sudden break.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:59 pm

Bonetti wrote:Note that there was already tension between the WoW Wiki community and Wikia over increasingly intrusive ads and other administrative headaches, so this has been more of a slowly building split than a sudden break.
Isn't this usually the the case though, eh? Things build up until you finally say 'enough of this'.

It's good to hear that they are off to a good start though.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:49 pm

Bonetti wrote:
night_druid wrote:LOL...did they give a reason?
Yup. The host of WoWWiki (Wikia) imposed changes which a decent chunk of the administrators and contributors did not like, so they forked to a Curse-hosted wiki.

The biggest one (which caused the split) was a new skin which broke some WoW Wiki features, including article layout and the mouse-over tooltips for items, etc. (Trust me -- for a WoW player, the loss of the tooltips is major -- it was the only reason I ever enabled javascript on wowwiki's pages :-) )

Note that there was already tension between the WoW Wiki community and Wikia over increasingly intrusive ads and other administrative headaches, so this has been more of a slowly building split than a sudden break.
I don't blame them for forking from Wikia, one little bit. I'm a bit honked off at the way that Spelljammer Wiki has become more and more ugly since I signed up.

I would rather have been on wiki.spelljammer.org from word go (if I had had the cash to pay Static for a server upgrade and whatever else he needed to get Media Wiki to work).

And I don't like the internalised cross-promotion, that pushes people towards empty Wiki wikis instead of the "fan accepted wikis" on other websites. Wiki should be a host of multiple wikis and should not be treating individual wikis as part of a greater whole. Where another wiki does the job better, I think it is far more useful (to the reader) to cooperate with that external wiki.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:12 pm

I've just "reclaimed my user name" and would encourage any other Wikia users who like the new wiki to do the same.

(I wish I was an admin of the WoW forum, so that I could split this thread off, give it a new title and edit the titles of the following posts. This new wiki needs to get a plug.)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:31 pm

PathfinderWiki has also decided to leave Wikia. They have left in a less high profile way that WoWWiki and have kept their original name (and the URL they had before they switched to Wikia).

Return to “World of Warcraft”