Raiding Warcraft novels for RPG ideas

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Raiding Warcraft novels for RPG ideas

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:27 pm

I have not got any of the Warcraft novels, yet.

Has anyone got any ideas of what stuff from the novels could be raided to create RPG plots?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Re: Milking Warcraft novels for RPG ideas

Post by Bonetti » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:11 pm

The ones I've read so far (the War of the Ancients trilogy, Cycle of Hatred) are pretty much just lore-heavy and already integrated into the game. Plot-wise, they're fairly standard. I don't recall seeing anything new, other than Aegwynn (Medivh's mother) still being alive and hiding in Durotar.

Well, I guess the idea of Nozdormu sending a party back in time to fix the timeline was sort of new (since War of the Ancients came out before Burning Crusade), but that's pretty well covered by the Caverns of Time instances these days.

The novels seem to exist primarily to supplement lore and fill in the backstory when there are world-changing events and in-game facilities aren't sufficient to cover it.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 14, 2010 1:41 am

Thanks Bonetti!

Any new characters that could be turned into NPCs?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri May 14, 2010 2:04 am

Not to make a bad pun (okay, so I will anyway) but wouldn't "Raiding" be a better verb for that subject line....? ;)
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Fri May 14, 2010 8:30 pm

War of the Ancients, not so much. Everyone seemed to either be an existing in-game NPC or killed off in ancient times.

If memory serves, the movers and shakers in Cycle of Hatred were also all existing NPCs (in Theramore, mostly, plus Thrall and Aegwynn), but there were some smaller fishing boat captains and guards who received names. They might be plunderable as minor characters.

The general poor quality of the prose and weak storytelling hasn't encouraged me to read the rest of the novels that I do have, and I've pretty much been ignoring other things. (I have very little time for leisure reading these days, so I've become particular in my old age :-) )

I should note that the Sunwell manga exists primarily to backfill the lore used to build the Blood Elf starting zones (Eversong Woods and Ghostlands), so most of that (if not all) is already incorporated in the MMO. Similarly, I believe Knaack's first book about Rhonin was used to build the lore around the five Aspects (Deathwing being a major character in the upcoming expansion), and the surviving major NPCs show up in Northrend.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Fri May 14, 2010 8:41 pm

Bonetti wrote:War of the Ancients, not so much. Everyone seemed to either be an existing in-game NPC or killed off in ancient times.
<blink>How? How can anyone *die* in WoW?!? They just respawn a few minutes later! :lol:
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Fri May 14, 2010 9:25 pm

Well, if you follow Aegwynn, clearly she operates under the MMO rules -- she's died at least three times so far, I think :-)

Besides: things in WoW only die long-term for story and lore: http://www.darklegacycomics.com/227.html

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 17, 2010 12:19 pm

RobJN wrote:Not to make a bad pun (okay, so I will anyway) but wouldn't "Raiding" be a better verb for that subject line....? ;)
Well, if you can get blood out of a stone, you can probably get milk out of a novel. :lol:

Return to “World of Warcraft”