List of Warcraft races?

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.

List of Warcraft races?

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:20 pm

Has anyone seen a list of Warcraft/World of Warcraft races, and what books they are in?

I'm curious to know how many of the WoW races are covered, and how many would need to be homebrewed (or taken from other d20 System sources and modified).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: List of Warcraft races?

Postby Azaghal » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:35 pm

Big Mac wrote:Has anyone seen a list of Warcraft/World of Warcraft races, and what books they are in?

I'm curious to know how many of the WoW races are covered, and how many would need to be homebrewed (or taken from other d20 System sources and modified).

Big Mac, I`ve got a pdf with WoW races for d20. I think d20. Somewhere it`s only 8 pages and no where near complete I`m sure. Let me scout around and find it and then I`ll link it to my 4shared account.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:51 pm

Great. I would love to see that go somewhere more permanent, when it is finished.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Azaghal » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:10 pm

Big Mac wrote:Great. I would love to see that go somewhere more permanent, when it is finished.

Not my work, just a tidbit that I found on the web somewhere. It would be great to see someone add to it however.
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:26 pm

If I pulled the correct file down (WoW Web Enhancement -- Races), it adds Draenei, Blood Elves, Naga, and Pandaren but has no list of where the races are published.

From the books on my shelf:
  • Warcraft the RPG: Human, Dwarf (Ironforge), Elf (High), Elf (Night), Goblin, Half-elf, Half-orc, Orc, Tauren
  • Warcraft the RPG: Manual of Monsters: (entries with "___ Characters" details only) Centaur, Dryad, Keeper of the Grove, Draenei, Wyrmkin, Flametongue, Scalebane, Furbolg, Corrupted Furbolg, Mountain Giant, Sea Giant, Gnoll, Harpy, Kobold, Murloc, Naga, Ogre, Pandaren, Quillboar, Satyr, Trogg, Dark Troll, Forest Troll, Ice Troll, Jungle Troll, Tuskarr, Tainted Creature, [1], [2]
  • Warcraft the RPG: Magic & Mayhem: (no races)
  • Warcraft the RPG: Lands of Conflict: Dark Iron Dwarf, Worgen
  • Warcraft the RPG: Shadows & Light: (no races)[3]
  • World of Warcraft the RPG: Dwarf (Ironforge), Elf (High), Elf (Night), Gnome, Goblin, Human, Orc, Tauren, Troll (Jungle), Undead (Forsaken)
  • World of Warcraft the RPG: More Magic & Mayhem: (no races)

[1] Note: the non-construct undead formats (zombie, banshee, etc.) are templates applied on top of something, so could be applied to a PC, but they do not have a specific "as characters" section
[2] The race development in the web enhancement trumps the races as presented in this book, being more complete. Also, this was early enough that the Draenei backstory hadn't been changed yet, so the Draenei presented are the ones referred to as Lost Ones in Swamp of Sorrows (the degenerate form also seen in Warcraft 3), not the Eredar-like, light-infused Draenei of the Burning Crusade expansion.
[3] There is a section on Titans which could be adapted, but no specifics are written up here. (It's also neat to see that they already had the two Norse-based Titan tribes this far before WoW's launch, much less Wrath of the Lich King.)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Azaghal » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:36 pm

You got the right one Bonetti, there are several other Warcraft or WoW enhancements on that site but as Big Mac reminded me I'm not putting them with my stuff now.
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:47 pm

I should add that the consolidated lore in the Warcraft RPG books (and manuscripts) available when they were originally building WoW were used as the canon sources to draw on. I'm sure they've built an internal lore-tracking system by now (given the number of people developing it), but originally that was the best way to find out that didn't involve picking Chris Metzen's brain. (And we know that working solely from memory, he screwed up a couple times (such as re-using the name Hakkar) and in a couple other places.)
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Big Mac » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:25 am

Thanks for the list Bonetti. At some point I will try to find a list on WoWWiki to compare this to to see how many races are "missing".

Bonetti wrote:Warcraft the RPG: Manual of Monsters: (entries with "___ Characters" details only) Centaur, Dryad, Keeper of the Grove, Draenei, Wyrmkin, Flametongue, Scalebane, Furbolg, Corrupted Furbolg, Mountain Giant, Sea Giant, Gnoll, Harpy, Kobold, Murloc, Naga, Ogre, Pandaren, Quillboar, Satyr, Trogg, Dark Troll, Forest Troll, Ice Troll, Jungle Troll, Tuskarr, Tainted Creature, [1], [2]

Are there other races (without the "...As Characters" sections) that are given an LA penalty? If it has a Level Adjustment, it is playable.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Bonetti » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:29 am

Big Mac wrote:Are there other races (without the "...As Characters" sections) that are given an LA penalty? If it has a Level Adjustment, it is playable.

Nope. All the "[blah] Characters" sections are on the only entries with Level Adjustments, and they add additional details (e.g. stat modifiers for the race, special abilities, and suggestions on how to play it).
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Big Mac » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:46 pm

Bonetti wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Are there other races (without the "...As Characters" sections) that are given an LA penalty? If it has a Level Adjustment, it is playable.

Nope. All the "[blah] Characters" sections are on the only entries with Level Adjustments, and they add additional details (e.g. stat modifiers for the race, special abilities, and suggestions on how to play it).

That is interesting. Most other campaign settings have a percentage of monsters that are playable, but not fully statted up.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby VoidWalker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:23 am

The strange thing is, Harpies actually don't have a racial writeup proper in the Manual of Monsters; no list of stat modifiers/penalties, no list of class features, nothing. It explains why a Harpy might become an adventuring PC, gives their favored class (Sorcerer) and notes about how armor affects their flight speed, but nothing else.

As for races... Whilst I don't have my copy of the Monster Guide (World of Warcraft D20's equivalent to the Manual of Monsters, these are the PC races I've seen in the other WoW RPG books:

WoWarcraft D20 Corebook:
Human
Ironforge Dwarf
Gnome
High Elf
Night Elf
Orc
Jungle Troll
Tauren
Forsaken
Goblin

Lands of Mystery:
Blue Dragonflight Wyrmkin
Magnataur (+8LA)
Murloc
Nerubian (+2LA)

Alliance Player's Guide:
Wildhammer Dwarf
Furbolg
Half-High/Blood/Night Elf
Ancient Protector (Creature Class)
Dryad (Creature Class)
Keeper of the Grove (Creature Class)
Mountain Giant (Creature Class)

Horde Player's Guide:
Forest Troll
Mok'nathal/Half-Ogre
Half-Orc
Abomination (Creature Class)
Centaur (Creature Class)
Ogre (Creature Class)
Ogre Mage (Creature Class)

Dark Factions:
Dragonspawn
Dark Iron Dwarf
Murloc
Naga
Pandaren
Quilboar
Satyr
Tuskarr
Dragon (Creature Class)
Flamewalker (Creature Class)
Nerubian (Creature Class)
Sea Giant (Creature Class)
VoidWalker
Orc

Postby Ivellius » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:40 pm

Nice necro-bump. But if you don't have the Monster Guide, I'll throw in all of its playable races as well. Some are listed in other sources (mainly Dark Factions).

Crypt fiend template (+1 LA for fiends; +2 LA for crypt lords)
Dragon whelps (+4 LA)
Dragonspawn
DI Dwarf with racial class
Blood Elf
Flamewaker (+5 LA)
Ghost template (+5 LA)
Gnoll with racial class
Leper gnome
Grell, maybe? Advancement can be "by character class." No listed LA.
Harpies (weird case... +0 LA, but 2 racial hit dice, which is likely why they don't have a longer "Harpies as Characters" entry. Reverse-engineering their ability modifiers gives you +2 Agy, +2 Spt, -2 Int, and -2 Cha. Playing one at 1st level [which is not recommended because of their flight] would probably look like +2 Agy, -2 Int and -2 Cha with a reduced flight speed. Gain +2 Spt and improved flight speed at 2nd level.)
Kobold
Lich template (+4 LA)
Makrura with racial class
Naga with racial class
Quilboar with racial class
Satyr with racial class
Scorpids have a +2 LA and Int greater than 2. (Dunestalkers are +3 LA.) Not sure what that means for them, exactly.
Trogg with racial class
Ice troll
Sandfury troll (sidebar)
Drakkari and Zandalari trolls (sidebar)
Withered creature template (+1 LA)
Worgen have no listed LA here.
Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Ivellius wrote:Nice necro-bump.

That was some pretty good information that VoidWalker had. :cool:

With your own post, have we covered all the books yet? :?

Ivellius wrote:Leper gnome

Shouldn't leper gnome be a template (a bit like lycanthropy is)? I thought they were gnomes transformed by radioactivity.

IIRC, there was talk (but no action) of curing the leper gnomes in the MMO. I think I saw a leper gnome in a cage that turned into a chicken or blew up or somesuch.

Can ordinary gnomes be "converted" into leper gnomes? Can leper gnomes be cured?

Ivellius wrote:Harpies (weird case... +0 LA, but 2 racial hit dice, which is likely why they don't have a longer "Harpies as Characters" entry. Reverse-engineering their ability modifiers gives you +2 Agy, +2 Spt, -2 Int, and -2 Cha. Playing one at 1st level [which is not recommended because of their flight] would probably look like +2 Agy, -2 Int and -2 Cha with a reduced flight speed. Gain +2 Spt and improved flight speed at 2nd level.)

From what I recall, you can start a +HD creature as a zero level PC - in other words you could have a Harpie with two racial HD and no character levels. That would let you start of with an ECL = 2 PC.

Some of the MWP books for the Dragonlance campaign setting, came up with a system of breaking down the monsters and spreading out the abilities. With the ones that have an LA, they had to put in racial levels where the HD did not increase, but it should be easier to make a "Harpie Racial Class" that splits up the abilities into two levels (each with its own level). I think the way you worked out a 1st level harpie works pretty well*, but I think that a lot of players of 1HD harpie PCs would be tempted to use their 1st level feat-slot to buy some sort of flying feat.

* = I think only a BAB and saving throw split is needed.

Do any of the WoW books list flying feats that harpies can take? If someone seriously wanted to play one of those guys, they would need that information from Warcraft, core (or maybe other setting) books.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Ivellius » Wed May 23, 2012 3:36 am

Big Mac wrote:That was some pretty good information that VoidWalker had. :cool:

With your own post, have we covered all the books yet? :?

So far as I know, yeah. I took everyone at their word that they did it correctly. ;)

Big Mac wrote:Shouldn't leper gnome be a template (a bit like lycanthropy is)? I thought they were gnomes transformed by radioactivity.

IIRC, there was talk (but no action) of curing the leper gnomes in the MMO. I think I saw a leper gnome in a cage that turned into a chicken or blew up or somesuch.

Can ordinary gnomes be "converted" into leper gnomes? Can leper gnomes be cured?

Well, they're not. I know, I'm blunt. The thing about them being a template is that no other race really underwent such a transformation. Dunno why it affected the gnomes like it did; it would probably take prolonged and intensive exposure to transform more of the regular ones. A cure seems possible, but they haven't found it yet. Maybe one day. (Actually, that reminds me: I should go play the opening Gnome questline. It probably has some more info on that issue.)

Big Mac wrote:From what I recall, you can start a +HD creature as a zero level PC - in other words you could have a Harpie with two racial HD and no character levels. That would let you start of with an ECL = 2 PC.

Some of the MWP books for the Dragonlance campaign setting, came up with a system of breaking down the monsters and spreading out the abilities. With the ones that have an LA, they had to put in racial levels where the HD did not increase, but it should be easier to make a "Harpie Racial Class" that splits up the abilities into two levels (each with its own level). I think the way you worked out a 1st level harpie works pretty well*, but I think that a lot of players of 1HD harpie PCs would be tempted to use their 1st level feat-slot to buy some sort of flying feat.

* = I think only a BAB and saving throw split is needed.

Do any of the WoW books list flying feats that harpies can take? If someone seriously wanted to play one of those guys, they would need that information from Warcraft, core (or maybe other setting) books.

Yeah, yeah, that was what I was meaning--it's pretty unusual to have racial HD without any kind of level adjustment. A Harpy PC would be, effectively, a 2nd-level character. You would split the BAB (+1, +2) and saving throws (+2/+0 at "1st-level" and +3/+0 at "2nd-level"), but all of that is automatically split into the two Hit Dice because of the way they work (likewise feats and skill points--they have 5 assigned). I was trying to account for the stuff that isn't intrinsic to the HD (here, ability adjustments and fly speed, although I suppose claws could also go there). I'd also break up the natural armor bonus between the two HD. I hope that made sense.

Flying feats are, surprisingly, found in Lands of Mystery (you'd think MG, wouldn't you?). At least three of them are. And yeah, I'd definitely consider taking one of them were I playing a harpy. And I'd argue they don't need an LA as long as you account for their flight as the MG recommends--they're a decent option for certain things but not overly strong.
Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Sat May 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Ivellius wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Shouldn't leper gnome be a template (a bit like lycanthropy is)? I thought they were gnomes transformed by radioactivity.

Well, they're not. I know, I'm blunt. The thing about them being a template is that no other race really underwent such a transformation. Dunno why it affected the gnomes like it did; it would probably take prolonged and intensive exposure to transform more of the regular ones. A cure seems possible, but they haven't found it yet. Maybe one day. (Actually, that reminds me: I should go play the opening Gnome questline. It probably has some more info on that issue.)

From what I recall, I saw the gnome in a cage in a town between Ironforge and Gnomeregan that had a pub and a smithy. There was also a guy selling mechanical birds around the corner. The building was at the edge of the town closest to Ironforge.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Ivellius » Sun May 27, 2012 2:46 am

Yeah, I remember there used to be a couple of gnomes north of Kharanos who sent you into Gnomeregan because they were working on a cure. I don't know if any of that stuff has changed? I figured with the Gnomes getting their own starting questlines maybe they had some more to say about it, but I haven't played a Gnome since Cataclysm (well, since ever).
Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:55 pm

Ivellius wrote:Yeah, I remember there used to be a couple of gnomes north of Kharanos who sent you into Gnomeregan because they were working on a cure. I don't know if any of that stuff has changed? I figured with the Gnomes getting their own starting questlines maybe they had some more to say about it, but I haven't played a Gnome since Cataclysm (well, since ever).

I've not played the WoW: MMO since my original 6 month subscription ran out and Blizzard let me spend several days downloading updates before letting me know I had no credit left. :evil:

Bizzarely, when I wrote to their customer services department to tell them I'd not been able to get online, they were unwilling to give me back any of the time I'd lost...but have been spamming me since offering free trials if I come back. If they had done that at the time, I probably would not have stopped playing.

But getting back to the subject, I've played two gnomes. One was with a friend where we did Beavis and Butthead as gnomes (and ran around saying "Heh! Heh!" to anyone that spoke to us). The other one was a PC that got all the hand-me-down items from a human paladin PC.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby LimeyDragon » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:33 am

I hate to be a thread necro. But did anyone actually ever make a Document detailing all the races for the D20 version?
LimeyDragon
Kobold

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:36 am

LimeyDragon wrote:I hate to be a thread necro.

There are no "anti-thread necromancy" rules at The Piazza. So long as you are on topic (which you are) you can bump any old topic you like.

Sorry I didn't notice this before. Welcome to The Piazza. You might want to pop over to the Introduce yourself here topic, say "hi" and tell people a bit about yourself and the RPG stuff you like.

LimeyDragon wrote:But did anyone actually ever make a Document detailing all the races for the D20 version?

Bonnetti mentioned the races in his books. Voidwalker mentioned some more. And Ivellius also mentioned some.

Perhaps I should collate that into an alphabetical list and edit it into my top post. :?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to World of Warcraft