New race: Tol'vir

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Bonetti
Fire Giant

New race: Tol'vir

Post by Bonetti » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:56 pm

(As far as I know, this race is new for Cataclysm and the development of Uldum, and did not previously exist in either the RPG. It may or may not be related to the Tigrons (feline humanoids).)

Tol'vir: http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/ima ... tolvir.jpg

Armored Tol'vir: http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/ima ... rmored.jpg

We know from lore that the other Titan-created races (so far) have all been bipedal humanoids: earthen, mecha-gnomes, vrykul. We know that the humanoid-torso quadripeds (centaur, keepers of the grove, dryads) are descendents of Cenarius (Zaetar for the centaur, Remulos for the keepers and dryads). We know the Titans were not above raising creatures' abilities, e.g. elevating some giant lizards to be the five aspects (and creating or seriously advancing dragons in the process).

That the Titans experimented with other forms was not known (or if it was, I missed it in the lore), so this opens up some intriguing new possibilities. For instance, perhaps the centaur aren't the offspring of Zaetar, and they were just adopted by him post-curse-of-flesh (and there are stony man-horses in some as-yet-undiscovered Titan repository). Or, since the Tol'vir are basically fully feline centaur (tigron torsos, panther or lion bodies), perhaps there are canine versions, tuskarr versions (haha, walrus centaur!), etc.

Hmmmm..... I have no idea what the Blizzard lore direction is, but there are some definite campaign possibilities as an old race re-awakens or is rediscovered, should one be playing the tabletop game...

Edit: Oh, I had forgotten about the obsidian destroyers in Ahn'Qiraj, which went in much earlier. OK, I guess they're partially built on the lore from that patch... Other than that link, I think they're new in the expansion.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: New race: Tol'vir

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:56 pm

WoW.com posted this blog entry called "Know Your Lore: Ahn'Qiraj, Uldum and the Tol'Vir" on the 4th of July.

They get their information from a post in a Blizzard forum thread called: Ask CDev #1 Answers - Round 1.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:24 am

Funny how links go around ;-) (regarding the devs' answers)

I hadn't thought all the way through the things like the implications for Ossirian etc., and the Titan links for AQ. Thanks for the blog link :-)

I like their speculation on how weak the Old Gods are in creating stuff, too. That could really help GMs writing their own version of Azeroth.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:21 pm

Bonetti wrote:Thanks for the blog link :-)
It is nice to be able to find something for you for a change, seeing as how you are normally showing and telling me stuff. :mrgreen:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:21 am

A centauroid feline species. Facinating. I wonder if they have any relation to spinx or lamia.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:29 pm

Well, the tol'vir seem to be Titan-created and be the ones which put an Egyptian flair on some aspects of Azeroth (specifically, Ahn'Qiraj's decorations). In that sense, Azerothian sphinxes would basically be modeled on or descended from them.

I suspect that the obsidian destroyers (which entered the game first) probably started as "sphinxes with a Warcraft twist".

Return to “World of Warcraft”