Twilight Awakening [Adventure Path]

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Twilight Awakening [Adventure Path]

Post by Bonetti » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:05 pm

(Rough idea based on in-game material, some screenshots from Cataclysm, and the 4e tiers)

Background: The Twilight's Hammer cult is built around the awakening of the Old Gods, and many of them are warlocks or elemental-summoners. So, not only are they trying to free the living Old Gods (C'thun, Yogg-saron, etc.) but they're also trying to revive the one at the Master's Glaive in Darkshore. Note that the four Elemental Lords (Ragnaros, Al'Akir, Neptulon, and Therazane) were the elemental lieutenants of the Old Gods.

Heroic Tier (1-10):
The adventurers start out as, well, adventurers start out. As they adventure, they run across more and more Twilight's Hammer cultists of one form or another, and begin hearing whispers of dark things awakening. They discover that the cult is focused around the Master's Glaive and is nearly ready to perform a ritual to return the spirit of the slain Old God servant Soggoth to his body (which still has a sword in its skull and must be removed). The party foils this plot (prevents the removal of the sword?) as they finish the Heroic Tier (or just start into Paragon), thus earning great acclaim from those who oppose the Twilight's Hammer -- their own faction (Horde or Alliance), the Cenarion Circle, and possibly the Earthen Ring.

(One can incorporate the havoc wreaked in Darkshore by the Cataclysm into this, and include the party dealing with that if so desired. See this interview for some idea of what the new version of the zone is like. Also, to see what the Master's Glaive now looks like, see this screenshot and this screenshot from Cataclysm.)

Paragon Tier (11-20):
Defeated in one location, the Twilight's Hammer turn to the Old Gods and their lieutenants for more power. They reach an alliance with Al'Akir, the Wind Lord, and begin unleashing air elementals all over the world as they seek contact with the Old Gods themselves. Neptulon (water) and Therazane (earth) aid the mortals in opposition, and Ragnaros (fire) lines up with Al'Akir and starts helping out. (Note: this path leaves the war between the Dark Iron Dwarves and the Black Dragonflight and allies in Blackrock Mountain completely alone.)

Parts of the world are shattered, and buried evils crop up -- and the Twilight's Hammer begins their work in Silithus and Storm Peaks, seeking contact with C'Thun and Yogg-Saron. Near the end of the tier, the gates of Ahn'Qiraj open and the Qiraji pour forth on the side of the Twilight's Hammer and air/fire elementals. The Cenarion Circle and Earthen Ring join forces and call on the Horde and Alliance to stand fast against this new threat -- and the heroes of the Master's Glaive are in the forefront.

The tier should end with the re-imprisonment of the Qiraji and C'thun howling as he is once again buried (but probably no direct confrontation with him.)

Epic Tier (21-30):
Meanwhile, the madness sown by Yogg-Saron spreads across Northrend and turns the forces already there against their own allies, enslaving most of the continent. Ulduar re-opens, with the Titan's guardians in this ancient place fully corrupted and controlled. (The raid instance of Ulduar should provide some good ideas for adventures at this level.) This should culminate with a very, very nasty battle reaching Yogg-Saron mid-tier, and the realization that this Old God's awakening and corruption of Ulduar has alerted the Titans. (The party should also probably interact with Brann Bronzebeard as he discovers all sorts of history of Azeroth -- the origin of dwarves, gnomes, and humans; the shaping of the world by the Titans (and the imprisonment of the Old Gods), and the creation of guardians to maintain the order.)

...and then the Titans and their servants begin returning to Azeroth to purge the damage done to the order they created. And, they're not exactly happy about the curse of the flesh plague which has swept through their creation, so they're determined to start over. So the last 3-5 levels should be dealt with fending off the world's actual shapers (or at least convincing them to leave the current setup alone). Since the Titans elevated some lizards as the Five Aspects, they could be involved (see also the Wyrmrest Accord) as part of the persuasion attempt -- which also means dealing somehow with Neltharion (Deathwing) and his betrayal of his task. (The DM should probably skip Malygos being turned into a villain due to the excessive magic use of all the races -- it was good for a raid boss, but it would make this much more complicated here.)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

dfryer36
White Dragon

Re: Twilight Awakening [Adventure Path]

Post by dfryer36 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Some nice ideas there. I am not totally familiar with the Warcraft cosmology and setting but it sounds like a fun campaign to play in. Perhaps I will borrow some ideas for my own campaign if I ever get it off the ground.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:13 pm

Big Mac's goal was to see what could be stolen from the WoW RPG (and, presumably, from the MMO). My goal is to toss interesting ideas out, merging lore, MMO stuff, the RPG, and speculation into interesting possibilities.

I wish more detail were available about the Twilight Highlands (which seem to have something to do with Twilight's Hammer), but this was inspired by the details about the new Darkshore story.

One nice thing about a pen & paper campaign -- it's actually easier to have world-shattering events (e.g. the Titans returning) than it is in the MMO.

If you do want to swipe this, you may want to keep an eye on the elemental development in Cataclysm (Skywall, etc.) as the elemental lieutenants are getting more representation in the new expansion. For instance, Ragnaros and his minions (the other bosses from Molten Core) have re-appeared in the Firelands.

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:46 am

One of the things I am considering doing in my campaign is having the elemental lieutenants serve the Elder Elemental Eye. Essentially I would take the two cosmologies and mix them together to suit my purposes.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:52 am

That sounds appropriate! The four Elemental Lords in Warcraft are: Ragnaros (fire), Neptulon (water), Al'Akir (air), and Therazane (earth). A number of their minions are named at this point, including Ragnaros' fellows in Molten Core (Lucifron, Magmadar, Gehennas, Garr, Geddon, Shazzrah, Golemagg, Sulfuron, Majordomo Executus), Al'Akir's prince Thunderaan, Neptulon's representative Hydraxis, and probably some others I'm forgetting. There's also an Ambassador from Ragnaros' forces to the Dark Iron dwarves in Blackrock Depths (Flamelash) and a pair of summoned elementals (Incendius, Pyron (just outside)). There's plenty to borrow :-)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:55 am

Thanks for posting this, Bonetti. I think I might prefer to stick to a pre-cataclysm era, but it is nice to have some idea about how to go with the transition from the RPG era to the current MMO era.
Bonetti wrote:Big Mac's goal was to see what could be stolen from the WoW RPG (and, presumably, from the MMO).
I'm not trying to steal from the WoW: RPG itself. I'm actually trying to find ways to use the MMO to boost the RPG. I might tweak the WoW: RPG system to make it work a bit more like a regular D&D campaign setting, but that is mainly so that I can connect the World of Warcraft to other D&D worlds.

I was thinking of Spelljammerising Azeroth, but I would need to build up the moons and planets around Azeroth and expand on the space lore to create factions in "Azerothspace".
Bonetti wrote:My goal is to toss interesting ideas out, merging lore, MMO stuff, the RPG, and speculation into interesting possibilities.
I think your adventure paths are fantastic. They are the beginnings of epic adventure plots.
Bonetti wrote:I wish more detail were available about the Twilight Highlands (which seem to have something to do with Twilight's Hammer), but this was inspired by the details about the new Darkshore story.
I suppose that stuff will come up on Wowpedia eventually. One of the reasons I might stay behind the current MMO era is to help me work with continuity that has more stuff written about it.
Bonetti wrote:One nice thing about a pen & paper campaign -- it's actually easier to have world-shattering events (e.g. the Titans returning) than it is in the MMO.
I think that any world changing event (even a small-scale one) is a lot easier with a RPG than a MMO.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “World of Warcraft”