4E Dragons of Warcraft

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.

Re: 4E Dragons of Warcraft

Postby Bonetti » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:05 am

night_druid wrote:Interesting. Of course, pre-cataclysm, it left the night elves (and later the darnari) stranded in Kalamdor until level 30 or so, while all of the horde cities could be reached much earlier (level 15 or so, less if you can avoid mobs in the Barrens).

If you could afford a portal or had a kind guild mate, it wasn't too bad.

For the record, it was time consuming but safe to make Stormwind via sea -- just swim out far enough to avoid the murlocs just south of Menethil Harbor, then hug the coast down to Westfall. The mobs there were 10-12, which is doable pretty young. It took about 45 minutes to swim the one time I ended up doing it (late alpha or early beta, no tram yet, and no IF/SW as default a flight path for elves). Wetlands wasn't actually bad, I was usually able to reliably survive the run starting around 15 (slightly higher level than the Barrens equivalent) since the highest mobs were about 21 (the spiders).

The Tram was repurposed to solve a problem, but they didn't reorient the geography. Having played both sides through Azeroth, the pre-Cataclysm Horde travel arrangements were definitely better than Alliance. Moving some of the boats to Stormwind solved part of the problem, and adding flight paths has helped as well.

Mind you, my highest-level Alliance character is a mage, so I don't really feel it, and given the number of Alliance advantages over the years, it's nice to have one thing tilted to the Horde :-)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby night_druid » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:37 am

Bonetti wrote:[The Tram was repurposed to solve a problem, but they didn't reorient the geography. Having played both sides through Azeroth, the pre-Cataclysm Horde travel arrangements were definitely better than Alliance. Moving some of the boats to Stormwind solved part of the problem, and adding flight paths has helped as well.

They should have triangled the Tram the way they did for the Horde blimps; one tram runs SW-IF, one SW-Darn, and the last Darn-IF. Of course, from a lore-standpoint, I've always viewed the Tram as a huge strategic advantage. Basically put the full resources of two cities within minutes (or hours, I suppose) of each other. You'd think they'd want to expand and extend that advantage to other cities and towns. No resources for it, I suppose.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:11 am

They had an Alliance triangle: Auberdine to Menethil, Menethil to Theramore, Theramore to Auberdine. The tram was in addition to the existing triangle, a bonus leg that Horde didn't get until very recently (Org/TB zep). Then, Exodar and Silvermoon were added onto the triangle -- Exodar got a boat to Auberdine, Silvermoon had a transporter to UC.

The only reason the Horde zeps were superior was that the UC/Org zep stopped at capital cities, rather than nearby towns (Menethil and Auberdine -- but who cares, who actually goes to Darnassus?). Switching the Menethil port to Stormwind fixed that error. Note, however, that SW to BB to Ratchet was actually more useful than Org to Ratchet to BB -- Horde had two paths into STV (Ratchet/BB boat, UC&Org/Grom'Gol zep) since it placed SW and IF equally close to eastern Kalimdor (Ratched from SW, Theramore from IF/Menethil). Kalimdor navigation isn't fun for either, but at least Horde had a capital near the southern part of the continent, so flights sucked less. Portalling in to TB and flying to Gadgetzan was still "time to go get a drink" -- a big improvement over Theramore to Silithus (or Auberdine to anywhere south of Ashenvale), which were all "time to go make dinner" sort of times.

The bigger issue was that questing on Kalimdor sucked for Alliance (and might still?) given a concentration of questing in the southwest and no easy access to it. The Horde capitals and what they link to are a little better placed, overall.

If we're going to continue carping about transportation, I'd suggest moving it to a new thread :-)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Previous

Return to World of Warcraft