Guilds as a tool to make RPG PCs work together

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.

Guilds as a tool to make RPG PCs work together

Postby Big Mac » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:08 am

I've just been thinking about the way that the MMO uses guilds to get people to work together, for a common cause.

I wonder if WoW:RPG players could be encouraged to work together to create a tabletop guild.

If the players worked together to create the "character" of their guild, before they rolled up their PCs, perhaps that could encourage them all to make PCs that fit in with their guild and (hopefully) the other player characters.

If the players agreed on objectives and rules for their guild, they would also be agreeing on the way that the group of players should work together. MMO players use things lie TeamSpeak to help thei guilds to work and I wonder if some sort of in-character mechanism could help make guilds seem like somethign that most PCs would want to join or set up.

I figure that if the GM could get the players to set up a guild, the adventure they could then tailor adventures towards the guild (instead of trying to work towards 5 or 6 PC objectives.
Last edited by Big Mac on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Guilds as a tool to make RPG PCs work together

Postby Big Mac » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:15 am

Even the fact that guilds have to be registered, could be used in a RPG game.

Perhaps the PCs in a new game could work towards getting their would-be-guild recognised.
Last edited by Big Mac on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Guilds as a tool to make RPGPCs work together

Postby night_druid » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:39 am

Guilds exist in D&D; in Planescape, they're more or less factions. In Spelljammer, the various military brotherhoods, Elven Fleet, trade cartels, and other like groups fill the same role. In the Realms, the Harpers, Zhents, Purple Dragons, Waterdeep Watch, merchant groups, and hundreds of more groups fill that role.

I suppose the best way to mimic a Warcraft guild would be to simply get an adventuring group to name-level, and then fold in a large number of henchmen and lieutenant-style followers in the group as alternate PCs. In Warcraft, there is actually very little physically that joins a guild together; usually just a tabardm a chat channel, and a shared bank vault.

In D&D, you have much more. You can have a common base of operations, your own castle or, if you have enough followers + dependents, you could conceivably found your own town or small city. You can build it into a legacy for your campaign, playing the next generation of PCs once one campaign wraps up and another starts. In a way, that's happened in Jammers. We haven't gotten to "next generation" of PCs, but we do have lots of PCs, such that there are multiple adventures happening at once.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: Guilds as a tool to make RPG PCs work together

Postby Big Mac » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:05 am

night_druid wrote:Guilds exist in D&D; in Planescape, they're more or less factions. In Spelljammer, the various military brotherhoods, Elven Fleet, trade cartels, and other like groups fill the same role. In the Realms, the Harpers, Zhents, Purple Dragons, Waterdeep Watch, merchant groups, and hundreds of more groups fill that role.

True. They could be similar to the Factions in the MMO. But I believe Guilds have some sort of recognition from one of the cities. That could easily be carried over to the RPG world.

night_druid wrote:I suppose the best way to mimic a Warcraft guild would be to simply get an adventuring group to name-level, and then fold in a large number of henchmen and lieutenant-style followers in the group as alternate PCs. In Warcraft, there is actually very little physically that joins a guild together; usually just a tabardm a chat channel, and a shared bank vault.

In D&D, you have much more. You can have a common base of operations, your own castle or, if you have enough followers + dependents, you could conceivably found your own town or small city. You can build it into a legacy for your campaign, playing the next generation of PCs once one campaign wraps up and another starts. In a way, that's happened in Jammers. We haven't gotten to "next generation" of PCs, but we do have lots of PCs, such that there are multiple adventures happening at once.

That sounds great. And the way that Jammers is base around The Rock of Bral could make for a model, within the WoW:RPG, where the Guild is based in a city.

The tabbbard thing seems trivial, but could work as a shared coat of arms.

The chat channel, could be represented by a Guildsman who passes letters (sealed with the Guild seal) from guild member to guild member.

The shared bank vault could be represented by a Guld being allowed to become its own bank. With the economics maybe working like a Credit Union that only Guildsmen have access to.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to World of Warcraft