[4e] WoW Race conversions at WoWRPG d20 Forums

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.

[4e] WoW Race conversions at WoWRPG d20 Forums

Postby Big Mac » Mon May 02, 2011 4:09 pm

I just had Ivellius, at the WoWRPG d20 Forums me why I have not reposted this partial 4e conversion here:

4th edition races from old site.

To be honest, I never even noticed it. I must have had my 3e blinkers on.

I hope that Bonetti likes the thread! :)

(Scroll down the page and you will find a 4e download.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [4e] WoW Race conversions at WoWRPG d20 Forums

Postby Bonetti » Wed May 04, 2011 6:56 pm

Mmmmm :-)

Might be fun to play with if I find players interested in Azeroth :-)

Thread version: Off-hand, the one thing jumping out at me is that the Dark Iron fire resistance is a little high, but fine if it stays with NPCs. (I discovered early on in 4e that encounter building gets tricky if the PCs have too much damage resistance against common damage types -- necrotic and fire are really frequent among monsters, and it can trivialize encounters.) Then again, they set that level of resistance on all the creatures with resistances (Night Elves, Ironforge Dwarves, Tuskarr, Kurenai faction Broken, Forsaken, etc.). I'd probably try it out as written once, though, just to see if it plays better than it reads. Oh, and I adore the suggestion for (WoW) kobolds :-)

PDF version: I think the PDF version of trolls and orcs is superior to the forum writeup (regeneration while bloodied for trolls as part of berserker rage, rather than a base ability). I'd probably go with the PDF for the base PC races :-)

Overall, though, a good job on both sets of stats, and fun to look over.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Big Mac » Wed May 11, 2011 10:55 pm

Glad you like it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby dfryer36 » Fri May 13, 2011 5:28 am

Bonetti wrote:Thread version: Off-hand, the one thing jumping out at me is that the Dark Iron fire resistance is a little high, but fine if it stays with NPCs. (I discovered early on in 4e that encounter building gets tricky if the PCs have too much damage resistance against common damage types -- necrotic and fire are really frequent among monsters, and it can trivialize encounters.) Then again, they set that level of resistance on all the creatures with resistances (Night Elves, Ironforge Dwarves, Tuskarr, Kurenai faction Broken, Forsaken, etc.). I'd probably try it out as written once, though, just to see if it plays better than it reads. Oh, and I adore the suggestion for (WoW) kobolds :-)

It is the same fire resistance as tieflings get, so it should be okay.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
dfryer36
White Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Fri May 13, 2011 8:02 pm

Sure, but they're sprinkling that level of resistance to a bunch of common races (dwarves, night elves, and forsaken, among others) whereas I'm pretty sure it was unique to Tieflings and Deva (vs. Necrotic) in core. Even Genasi only get 5/10/15 (per tier). Oddly, though, the Shadar-kai don't get the equivalent necrotic, and you'd think that lore-wise they'd have at least as strong a justification as the Tieflings.

My experience when we ran 4e tests to decide on our next system was that it meant fire keyword minions could be ignored altogether, fire-based regular monsters did almost no damage even in extended encounters, and fire-based and elites were reduced to regular monster level of threat against the resist-laden PCs. (I saw it at a couple different levels when we tested.) It seemed overpowered on the Tiefling by itself and had the potential to seriously restrict encounter design. Based on what I ran, that level of damage type resistance basically meant encounters would need to either skip the damage type, be so powerful (so the one guy can't skate through) a good hit creams everyone, or just leave it as "character X can't be hurt". (I have wondered if the Genasi 5/10/15 was a reaction to the way Tieflings worked, then they went and did it again in PHB2 with the Deva.)

Going by lore, on Azeroth fire is far and away the most common damage type (except in Northrend ;-) ). The early level 60 end-game content was mostly fire (Blackrock Spire, Molten Core, Blackwing Lair), and level 80 is heavily fire-themed as well (Deathwing, Mount Hyjal, Firelands). All of the living dragons are fire (the undead dragons are frost), many if not most magic-throwers are fire, and offensive engineering work is all fire-based.

Plus, Dark Iron Dwarves basically get all of the dwarf abilities, plus Resist Fire 5 + 1/2 level, plus +1 to attack/damage rolls with the fire keyword, which is (IMO) excessive.

That being said, you're right, it maps to Tieflings and Deva -- I'm just not sure they were balanced, either ;-)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Return to World of Warcraft