Lands of Azeroth--A History of the World of Warcraft

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Lands of Azeroth--A History of the World of Warcraft

Post by Ivellius » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:41 pm

Hello, Piazza! I'm one of the contributors at the WoW RPG "forumer" site and finally decided to subscribe here. Beginning a year or so ago, I decided that, with all the background in the games and lore, I should focus on "filling in the gaps" and develop material to cover game time periods and elements that had never gotten an official write-up. Many of Warcraft III's units and heroes, for instance, did end up in the APG and HPG, so I didn't need to cover them. This "Lands of Azeroth" project has gone fairly well; I've written for it off and on over the past year and a half.

I create this topic, however, to see what sort of life there is on this forum and request aid in completing this document. Now, I know, with a continually developing world it will never be finished, but catching up to the MMO wouldn't be too bad. This table of contents lists everything I've worked on and/or plan to cover. The entries marked with asterisks either don't have material or remain unfinished, and I'm wondering if there's anyone here who'd like to help me fill this project out. Note that, according to my table, I've finished everything up through chapter 4 (classic WoW); it's mainly Burning Crusade, WotLK, and Cataclysm monsters that I need. If anyone knows of anything that should be added to the ToC, let me know and I may (eventually) get around to producing that as well.
  • I. The First War - Orcs and Humans 1
    Statistics 1
    Human Archer 1
    Human Siege Engineer 2
    Human Cleric 3
    Human Conjurer 4
    Orc Spearman 5
    Orc Siege Engineer 6
    Orc Necrolyte 7
    Orc Warlock 8
    Daemon 9
    Variant Classes 10
    Human Cleric (Human Priest) 10
    Human Conjurer (Human Warlock) 11
    Human Knight – Brotherhood of the Horse (Human Mounted Warrior) 11
    Orc Necrolyte (Priest) 12
    Orc Warlock 13
    Orc Raider (Orc Mounted Warrior) 14
    Prestige Classes 15
    Abbot 15
    Shadow Council Adept 17
    Spells 19
    Holy Vision 19
    Unholy Sight 20
    Poison Cloud 21

II. The Second War - Tides of Darkness 21
    Statistics 22
    High Elf Archer 22
    Gnome Pilot 23
    Elven Sailor 23
    Human Marine 24
    Troll Axethrower 25
    Troll Corsair 26
    Death Knight 27
    Goblin Pilot 30
    Goblin Sapper 31
    Orc Dragonrider 32
    Alterac Seditionist 33
    Winged Daemon 34
    Variant Classes 35
    High Elf Archer (High Elf Warrior) 35
    Human Knight – Knight of Lordaeron (Human Mounted Warrior) 35
    Prestige Classes 36
    Knight of the Silver Hand 36
    Dragonmaw Tamer 39
    Insurrectionist 41

III. The Third War - Reign of Chaos 44
    Statistics 44
    Druid of the Claw 44
    Druid of the Talon 46
    Blood Elf Spellbreaker 47
    Aldia Firestar, Blood Elf Blood Mage 48
    Scourge Necromancer 49
    Skeletal Mage 50
    Phoenix 51
    Variant Classes 52
    Poacher (Hunter) 52
    High Elf Priest 53
    Blood Elf Warlock 54
    Blood Elf Spell Breaker ( Blood Elf Warrior) 55
    Night Elf Huntress (Night Elf Mounted Warrior) 56
    Human Knight - Knight of the Alliance (Human Mounted Warrior) 57
    Elven Knight (High Elf Mounted Warrior) 58
    Priestess of the Moon 59
    Night Elf Sentinel (Night Elf Scout) 59
    Night Elf Hunter 60
    Dwarf Tinker 62
    Tauren Warrior 63
    Troll Hunter 64
    Half-ogre Warrior 65
    Scourge Necromancer 66
    Gnoll Brute (Gnoll Warrior) 66
    Gnoll Warden (Gnoll Shaman) 67
    Prestige Classes 68
    Blood Mage 68
    Tauren Chieftain 71
    War Chanter 72
    Spells 75
    Moon Domain 75
    Dark Ritual 75
    Divine Shield 76
    Legion’s Doom 76
    Locust Swarm 77
    Phoenix 77
    Scout 77
    Spirit Link 78

IV. Lands of Conflict - The World of Warcraft 78
    Variant Classes 79
    Druid of the Prowl 79
    Gnome Rogue 80
    Furbolg Barbarian 81
    Forsaken Necromancer 82
    Forsaken Warrior 82
    Troll Priest 84
    Prestige Classes 85
    Captain 85
    Darkshore Stalker 88
    Druidic Defender 90
    Nesingwary Hunter 95
    Royal Apothecary 98
    Shattered Hand Initiate 99
    Vile Petitioner 102

V. The Portal Reopens - The Burning Crusade 105
    Races 106
    Draenei 106
    Draenei Racial Class 107
    Prestige Class: Exiled Champion 110
    Variant Classes 112
    Blood Elf Blood Knight (Blood Elf Paladin) 112
    Draenei Vindicator 113
    Draenei Mage 113
    Draenei Saboteur (Rogue) 114
    Draenei Seer (Shaman) 115
    Prestige Classes 116
    Aldor Celebrant 116
    Cenarion Explorer 119
    Consortium Dealer* 122
    Inscriptionist 122
    Scryer Retainer 125
    Shattered Sun Mageblade 127
    Voodoo Redeemer 130
    Outland Menagerie 133
    Arakkoa 133
    Demons* 141
    Ethereal 141
    Elekk* 144
    Fungal Giant* 144
    Gronn* 144
    Infernal Machine* 144
    Kaliri 145
    Nether Dragonflight* 145
    Nether Ray* 145
    Ravager 145
    Rock Flayer 146
    Sporeling* 147
    Talbuk* 147
    Warp Stalker* 147

VI. Northrend and Beyond - Wrath of the Lich King 148
    Base Classes 149
    Death Knight 149
    Variant Classes 157
    Highborne Mage 157
    Sunwalker (Tauren Paladin) 158
    Tauren Priest 159
    Prestige Classes 159
    Argent Crusader 159
    Fleshwerked Soul 162
    Ghoulhunter 166
    Nexus Hunter 168
    Nexus Leymaster 169
    Seeker of the Makers 171
    Servitor of Elune 175
    Spells 178
    Sun Domain 178
    Northrend Menagerie* 178

VII. An Aspect Awakens – The Cataclysm 179
    Races 180
    Worgen 180
    Worgen Racial Class 182
    Prestige Class: Worgen Fell Ripper 183
    Goblin Racial Class 186
    Variant Classes 187
    Druid of the Flame* 187
    Druid of the Scythe 187
    Wildhammer Dwarf Shaman 188
    Alternate Iconic Class – Ironforge Dwarf Shaman: 189
    Worgen Barbarian 189
    Worgen Hunter 190
    Worgen Rogue 190
    Worgen Runemaster 191
    Gnome Priest 191
    Goblin Bruiser (Warrior) 192
    Goblin Rogue 193
    Prestige Classes 194
    Clockwork Warrior 194
    Earthguard 200
    Elemental Ascendant* 203
    Hyjal Meditant* 203
    Plague Driver* 204
    Shadow Warden* 204
Thanks for reading through that if you did.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Re: Lands of Azeroth--A History of the World of Warcraft

Post by Bonetti » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:34 pm

I'd be happy to help around the edges, although I should point out that at this point I'd be guessing at d20 stats (I've been playing 4e for the last two years ;-) ).

One thing which jumps out at me is that a lot of the development in Cataclysm is in the elemental realms, so there may be some additional monsters missing under Cataclysm (shale spiders in Deepholm, for instance). Of course, they may have been covered in the earlier books already :-)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Post by Ivellius » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:25 pm

Well, there could be a listing added for a "Cataclysm Menagerie" but I haven't yet bothered. There are quite a number of creatures that were introduced in the latest expansion: flame spiders, fire hawks, gyreworms, and pygmies, for example.

I still haven't switched to 4e and likely never will, given that I doubt the edition will last has more than a few years left. A big contributing factor to that was the expense of acquiring the WoW d20 books. Any help would be appreciated, though I admit that creating monsters is one of the most fiddly things about working on d20 material. Why do you think I've so many left to do?

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:01 am

I mentioned the critters primarily because you had some of the new ones from BC (nether ray, rock flayer, warp stalker). BTW, technically NElf mages, Holy Tauren, and the other class additions were Cataclysm changes rather than Wrath changes, although the beginning of the lore went in during the transition patches. No worries :-)

I was pretty good with 1e and 2e, but never got into content creation in 3.x.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Post by Ivellius » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:38 pm

Bonetti wrote:BTW, technically NElf mages, Holy Tauren, and the other class additions were Cataclysm changes rather than Wrath changes, although the beginning of the lore went in during the transition patches. No worries :-)
Shh, don't tell anyone. I wanted to break up the variants so I'd have a few for each chapter. Just let it be our secret. ;)

But yeah, that was part of my reasoning for putting them there. Highborne mages appeared in Darnassus and Dalaran along with the first "holy cows" in Thunder Bluff. After all, not all of these variants are meant for use by PCs...

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:17 pm

Ivellius wrote:Hello, Piazza! I'm one of the contributors at the WoW RPG "forumer" site and finally decided to subscribe here.
Thanks for coming over. Sorry I've been less active in the WoW community lately (both there, here and on Facebook).
Ivellius wrote:Beginning a year or so ago, I decided that, with all the background in the games and lore, I should focus on "filling in the gaps" and develop material to cover game time periods and elements that had never gotten an official write-up. Many of Warcraft III's units and heroes, for instance, did end up in the APG and HPG, so I didn't need to cover them. This "Lands of Azeroth" project has gone fairly well; I've written for it off and on over the past year and a half.

I create this topic, however, to see what sort of life there is on this forum and request aid in completing this document. Now, I know, with a continually developing world it will never be finished, but catching up to the MMO wouldn't be too bad. This table of contents lists everything I've worked on and/or plan to cover. The entries marked with asterisks either don't have material or remain unfinished, and I'm wondering if there's anyone here who'd like to help me fill this project out. Note that, according to my table, I've finished everything up through chapter 4 (classic WoW); it's mainly Burning Crusade, WotLK, and Cataclysm monsters that I need. If anyone knows of anything that should be added to the ToC, let me know and I may (eventually) get around to producing that as well.

<snip>
I get most* of my information from Wowpedia at the moment, so I'm not too sure where I could chip in. Perhaps they have a list that I might be able to find.

* = I finally got my first World of Warcraft: RPG book recently: More Magic and Mayhem. I'm looking to hunt down the others (at reasonable prices).

This certainly sounds like it would be a great netbook.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Telenil
Kobold

Post by Telenil » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:00 pm

Somehow failed to look at this thread before.
I've made a conversion of virtually all Warcraft 3 units to D20, including blood elves and neutral heroes. Although a conversion was suggested in APG, HPG and DF, I didn't like the way levels were handled - particularly, most units were level 5 no matter their actual in-game power. How did you handle these, did you directly copied the stats from the books?

Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Post by Ivellius » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:20 am

I actually felt like the range of stats in the faction series was pretty good for the WC units, and I more or less followed that model. The blood mage has a bunch of levels, but most of the others were in the level 3-5 range. Most of the "basic" units make sense at that level given all four games--extra hit points would come from mounts, better armor, that sort of thing. I'd actually overlooked the neutral heroes--I need to go back and see which ones of those made the cuts for the d20 books, though I think most of them did. Not sure about including a pit lord or firelord, but we'll see. Those seemed odd as heroes anyway.

But the point of this project was to create stats for units that weren't in the books, so I didn't use anything for those that already had them, if that makes sense. But I still feel pretty good about how they all turned out.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 20, 2012 2:07 am

Telenil wrote:Somehow failed to look at this thread before.
I've made a conversion of virtually all Warcraft 3 units to D20, including blood elves and neutral heroes.
That sounds good. Is the conversion something you are allowed to put online?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Post by Ivellius » Wed May 23, 2012 4:27 am

As a self-plug, I think I put up all the WC units I did on the "forumer" site. I suppose you could make a blood elf lieutenant, a blood elf footman, and a blood elf worker, but the others got coverage in the APG as high elf units. The draenei units of WC3 get references in the iconics, but...ugh, I think I'm going to have to go make some of those, too. *sigh* I'm good at finding work for myself.

I've been pretty productive the past few days--the menageries come slowly as always because of my reluctance to do stat-ups, but I've filled out nearly all of the other things. Non-monsters aside, everything else up there is finished and/or cut except the Plague Driver class, which I plan to do this week. The Shadow Warden didn't make it, but I added some iconics, including Gilnean/plant druids and troll druids. There's also a couple of things on there added that aren't yet finished, but if I didn't announce them I don't feel bad they're not done. Isn't that how it works?

But going back to it (and this is a note as much for me as anyone), pit lords, fire lords, the naga sea witch, and pandaren brewmaster didn't make any of the WoW RPG books of which I'm aware. I was sure I saw a sea witch somewhere, but I guess not. Stupid Dark Factions, not covering those last two for me. Pit lord was in MoM but never got the revision, so I suppose I'll have to take it for completeness' sake. Wish me luck.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 26, 2012 6:32 pm

Good luck. You can always build things in public, if you need feedback as you go along.

Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Post by Ivellius » Sun May 27, 2012 2:44 am

Yeah, it's partly I got lazy--so much of what I'd done when I transferred here was already on the other site and I didn't feel like reposting. I tend to work in spurts, and last week was a fairly productive week for me. In fact, after complaining here, I built the Brewmaster, Fire Lord, and aforementioned Plague Driver class. At some point I'll probably add some of the new stuff to this site, as it has a bit more life.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:47 pm

Ivellius wrote:Yeah, it's partly I got lazy--so much of what I'd done when I transferred here was already on the other site and I didn't feel like reposting.
The Piazza does not have an anti-other-forum policy. You are quite welcome to link over to something you have been working on over at Xander's forum. In fact you might want to work on something in parallel, so that you can get feedback from both communities.
Ivellius wrote:I tend to work in spurts, and last week was a fairly productive week for me. In fact, after complaining here, I built the Brewmaster, Fire Lord, and aforementioned Plague Driver class.
Perhaps you should complain more, if it makes you build content afterwards. ;)
Ivellius wrote:At some point I'll probably add some of the new stuff to this site, as it has a bit more life.
I'm really hoping that this forum is going to help raise awareness of an interesting campaign setting. The thing I really love about The Piazza is that it is built to allow people to discuss multiple D&D settings (and now non-D&D settings). And with The Piazza being inclusive, that should hopefully make this a place where someone who is a novice in Warcraft can come here to learn. WoW: RPG needs new players. The only way to get new players is to give people newbie assistance.

I'd love to see the other WoW: RPG Websites all get some new life too. It is a shame that Xander doesn't have a webportal, as well as a forum. It would be nice if the dead WoW: RPG websites could be gathered together into an archive that ensures that no good WoW: RPG fan content is lost.

Return to “World of Warcraft”