Additional Base Classes

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Additional Base Classes

Post by Ivellius » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:18 pm

I've been working a bit today on Lands of Azeroth (and can't wait for a new expansion and the accompanying work! Kidding) and was thinking about base classes. To be honest, there doesn't seem like a whole lot of room for additional ones--I'd work on a WoW Monk, but I need to know more about MoP before I implement my own version. (They'll probably look a lot like the Runemaster anyway, sadly enough. Why wasn't that put in?) Regardless, I did put up two new base classes over the course of the current chapters: a base Death Knight class and the Archaeologist, drawing on inspiration from using professions as classes a la the Tinker and especially from the d20's Ranger/Horizon Walker and Loremaster classes for abilities. Are there other archetypes that might work well as base classes that could use similar treatment? It needs to be able to have some unique spin/niche that the other classes don't quite fill. The other professions seem a bit lacking to do, although a mundane Medic might be an option.

Deckenpuppel
Orc

Re: Additional Base Classes

Post by Deckenpuppel » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:42 pm

I think an adaptation of the swashbuckler class would be a good thing. I know that it is kind of represented in the rogue and some of the prestige classes, but I personally think it still fills a very important spot between the fighter in plate armor and the thief/assassin like rogue.

Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Post by Ivellius » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:59 am

Hm, maybe. The biggest problem I'd have with doing that is that it steps on the toes of the Duelist a bit, though it's not a very good prestige class. Battle-Mage would be a decent class, but I haven't decided whether it'd work better as a prestige or core (kind of thinking core, though). A Fiendbinder was another idea, similar to the aspect Warlock variant in EMM&M but not really using spells. Yeah, that's pretty well ripping off Tome of Magic's Binder, but I think it works as a Warcraft concept. Illusionist or Enchanter might work, considering neither of them really get treatment within the Arcanist subclass. A Captain class or Herald class focused on boosting allies might be nice. And maybe something involving dragons.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:39 pm

Regarding the Monk, it looks like it will have three play styles (which might be best handled by Monk + Prestige class?). In WoW terms (based on the preview information released to date), the Brewmaster is a tank (a tanked tank?), the Mistweaver is a healing class with decent damage, and the Windwalker is melee damage. As you note, how this will actually be handled remains to be seen.

I don't have my Warcraft RPG materials at hand, but your mention of a Captain/Herald class suggests something in between the 4e D&D Bard and Warlord. That has me wondering if there's already a Warlord-ish class (my memory fails me here).
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Post by Ivellius » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Yeah, I'm waiting to see how the Monk comes out, but it will be hybrid whatever I do. Probably use a "ki" resource system.

There's an Exemplar class in APG that acts as a standard-bearer. 3.5 had the Marshal, and I put together a Commander prestige class that was kind of similar. I might scrap it if I get a base class for it. (The Commander class I made has a note that Alliance Commanders are Marshals, while Horde Commanders are Warlords.) There's also a Captain class in Lord of the Rings Online.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:32 pm

Beta is open for some subset of annual pass folks. It's gorgeous. I'll probably start a monk this week-end, so may be able to help explore the class if you want. (Everyone else seemed to be starting a Pandaran monk, so I went against the flow and tried a different class to check out the Wandering Isle.)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 10, 2012 12:44 pm

Bonetti wrote:Regarding the Monk, it looks like it will have three play styles (which might be best handled by Monk + Prestige class?).
FRCS had something called Monk Orders. I wonder if something similar to that would tie in with the play styles or if all monks are just one group.
Bonetti wrote:In WoW terms (based on the preview information released to date), the Brewmaster is a tank (a tanked tank?), the Mistweaver is a healing class with decent damage, and the Windwalker is melee damage. As you note, how this will actually be handled remains to be seen.
What is a Brewmaster? Are we talking of a guy that drinks lots of beer to fight better? :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 10, 2012 12:46 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Bonetti wrote:Regarding the Monk, it looks like it will have three play styles (which might be best handled by Monk + Prestige class?).
FRCS had something called Monk Orders. I wonder if something similar to that would tie in with the play styles or if all monks are just one group.
Bonetti wrote:In WoW terms (based on the preview information released to date), the Brewmaster is a tank (a tanked tank?), the Mistweaver is a healing class with decent damage, and the Windwalker is melee damage. As you note, how this will actually be handled remains to be seen.
What is a Brewmaster? Are we talking of a guy that drinks lots of beer to fight better? :?
Bonetti wrote:(Everyone else seemed to be starting a Pandaran monk, so I went against the flow and tried a different class to check out the Wandering Isle.)
Hmm. Perhaps a Monk Order for each monastry?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Thu May 10, 2012 8:22 pm

Big Mac wrote:What is a Brewmaster? Are we talking of a guy that drinks lots of beer to fight better? :?
It's more than that.

Basically, it's a mix of drunken mastery (appearing drunk, but not necessarily fighting drunk), alchemy, and brewing. The brews (some alchemical, some alcoholic) impart specific properties and/or abilities.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 20, 2012 12:43 am

Bonetti wrote:
Big Mac wrote:What is a Brewmaster? Are we talking of a guy that drinks lots of beer to fight better? :?
It's more than that.

Basically, it's a mix of drunken mastery (appearing drunk, but not necessarily fighting drunk), alchemy, and brewing. The brews (some alchemical, some alcoholic) impart specific properties and/or abilities.
Looks like it has already been done for Lands of Conflict and Dark Factions. But the MMO might be able to bring more types of brew to the class. I suppose you would have a craft skill for brewing and each drink would have its own DC.

Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Post by Ivellius » Wed May 23, 2012 3:48 am

Bunch of magical alcohols already in the 3.5 stuff, and yeah, with the Brewmaster already existing I wasn't planning to do that. Instead, I'm going to have a base Monk to represent more-or-less the DPS side with a variant Mistweaver option. There's also going to be a Pandaren Monk iconic ('twill give me a chance to incorporate any new Brewmaster stuff I want) as well as a Pandaren Shaman/Geomancer iconic. And I've already done a Pike Warrior prestige class and plan to add more as I see MoP content. I've stayed out of the beta; I'd rather just play through it when it will matter.

And to update my old musings, I changed the Commander into a base class.

Monk Orders might be an option for in-class Monk variants (influence a selection of bonus feats, maybe, like what 3.5 did in Unearthed Arcana), but, again, I'm not looking at new content so it'll be a while before I go through with these plans.

Return to “World of Warcraft”