[miniatures] Were there any WoW/Warcraft minis?

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[miniatures] Were there any WoW/Warcraft minis?

Post by Big Mac » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:31 am

I'm not sure if there were any miniatures made specifically for World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game, but I know that several licenced things had minis.

Does anyone know which ones are close to 25mm scale (and which ones are not)?

Of the products that have miniatures that are bigger or smaller than 25mm, has anyone found any use for them (dire murlocks perhaps :? )?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: [miniatures] Were there any WoW/Warcraft minis?

Post by night_druid » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:43 am

I don't remember any WoW minis. They do/did have a line of action figures, but I don't think they were overly popular and might have been dropped.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:51 am

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Thanks for that. I can't find the exact height of those yet.

I found something else called World of Warcraft Miniatures Game, which has minis that are 40mm high.

There is a board game, called World of Warcraft: The Board Game, which has 120 figures in it (including 16 murlocs). I haven't been able to find out what scale these figures are yet.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Post by Ivellius » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:28 am

Guys! I'm back!

The MegaBlocks line is pretty small, I think, although I don't know exactly what scale.

The WoW Board Game figures are close to 25 mm if not actually that. Eyeballing them, they're pretty comparable to D&D miniatures. The one caveat I'd add is that most of them are monster figures--for player characters, there's just two of each vanilla race (one male and one female), and the BC expansion adds a male blood elf paladin and female draenei shaman.

I've used the WoW miniatures before, and there's a pretty decent selection if you stick with vanilla/BC-era stuff. Their size means you pretty have to use just them, though, and there's not really any cross-over with most maps, for instance. (Heroscape terrain kind of works.)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:01 pm

Ivellius wrote:Guys! I'm back!
Welcome back! :D
Ivellius wrote:The MegaBlocks line is pretty small, I think, although I don't know exactly what scale.
Are there any MegaBlocks figures that might work with miniatures of other sizes? (I'm thinking that WoW MMO pets are usually small versions of the conventional critters. Perhaps some MegaBlocks figures could represent small animals.)
Ivellius wrote:The WoW Board Game figures are close to 25 mm if not actually that. Eyeballing them, they're pretty comparable to D&D miniatures. The one caveat I'd add is that most of them are monster figures--for player characters, there's just two of each vanilla race (one male and one female), and the BC expansion adds a male blood elf paladin and female draenei shaman.
These sound like they might be most useful for use with other fantasy miniatures. It is a shame that they didn't decide to add more figures. I would have thought that collectable board game figures would have been an easy way for them to have made more money from this game.
Ivellius wrote:I've used the WoW miniatures before, and there's a pretty decent selection if you stick with vanilla/BC-era stuff. Their size means you pretty have to use just them, though, and there's not really any cross-over with most maps, for instance. (Heroscape terrain kind of works.)
Are there any WoW miniatures that could work as larger versions of critters, if used with 25 mm figures? (Dire murlocks perhaps? :shock: )

Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Post by Ivellius » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:00 pm

Big Mac wrote:Are there any MegaBlocks figures that might work with miniatures of other sizes? (I'm thinking that WoW MMO pets are usually small versions of the conventional critters. Perhaps some MegaBlocks figures could represent small animals.)
Well, after a quick Google image search they're roughly equivalent to LEGO minifigures (a little bulkier due to their build), so I'd think they'd be pretty suitable for many purposes. I guess that puts them bigger than 25 mm, but they're nowhere near the size of the WoW minis line. Split the difference at a roughly 30 mm scale, maybe? Not sure exactly what you're wanting to do with them. The line so far seems to consist of basically either dragons (there's Sindragosa with Arthas and Deathwing attacking Stormwind thus far) and/or Player Character-type figures (Horde figures on a goblin zeppelin, a demolisher, a figure plus either a mount or a little faction shrine).

I suppose if you wanted to use the 40 mm figures you could--I'm a bit of a curmudgeon in that I like for my figures to more or less mesh (e.g., I'll use either my HeroScape or my WoW minis but not both together). There are a couple of murloc figures; if you used them I suppose they'd be roughly 67% bigger than any 25 mms you had lying around. Using them as a murloc queen or something might work out pretty well.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:31 pm

Ivellius wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Are there any MegaBlocks figures that might work with miniatures of other sizes? (I'm thinking that WoW MMO pets are usually small versions of the conventional critters. Perhaps some MegaBlocks figures could represent small animals.)
Well, after a quick Google image search they're roughly equivalent to LEGO minifigures (a little bulkier due to their build), so I'd think they'd be pretty suitable for many purposes. I guess that puts them bigger than 25 mm, but they're nowhere near the size of the WoW minis line. Split the difference at a roughly 30 mm scale, maybe? Not sure exactly what you're wanting to do with them. The line so far seems to consist of basically either dragons (there's Sindragosa with Arthas and Deathwing attacking Stormwind thus far) and/or Player Character-type figures (Horde figures on a goblin zeppelin, a demolisher, a figure plus either a mount or a little faction shrine).
I've never heard of MegaBlocks. Is it a US clone of LEGO? :?

I'm guessing these figures won't be useful for me (although we have a few LEGO fans on The Piazza that might love them).
Ivellius wrote:I suppose if you wanted to use the 40 mm figures you could--I'm a bit of a curmudgeon in that I like for my figures to more or less mesh (e.g., I'll use either my HeroScape or my WoW minis but not both together). There are a couple of murloc figures; if you used them I suppose they'd be roughly 67% bigger than any 25 mms you had lying around. Using them as a murloc queen or something might work out pretty well.
Thanks for the help.

I like figures to match too. I' surprised that Blizzard has never licensed a full range of 25mm figures, as they would sell to wargamers as well as roleplayers.

I wonder how hard it would be to make murlocs out of milliput. :lol:

Return to “World of Warcraft”