Manual of Monsters vs. Monster Guide?

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Manual of Monsters vs. Monster Guide?

Post by Knightfall » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:21 pm

I haven't been able to find a copy of the Monster Guide, but I do know I should be able to get a copy of the Manual of Monsters. What is the difference between the two? Are they basically the same book with the Monster Guide being the updated version or does the Monster Guide contain new content?

Note that for Warcraft, I have the updated World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game core rulebook, as well as the Lands of Mystery sourcebook.

KF
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Manual of Monsters vs. Monster Guide?

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:10 pm

I used to think (incorrectly) that Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game was 3.0, while World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying game was 3.5. But I've since found out that it is more like Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game is D&D, while World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game is a d20 System game that had some SRD elements swapped out for elements that use words from Blizzard's MMO version of World of Warcraft.

The two are broadly compatible, but I think it is a bit like the difference between 3.5 D&D and Pathfinder. You can use stuff, but a few details need a tweak.

Perhaps someone that knows the systems better than I can give a more accurate answer.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Big Mac wrote:I used to think (incorrectly) that Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game was 3.0, while World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying game was 3.5. But I've since found out that it is more like Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game is D&D, while World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game is a d20 System game that had some SRD elements swapped out for elements that use words from Blizzard's MMO version of World of Warcraft.

The two are broadly compatible, but I think it is a bit like the difference between 3.5 D&D and Pathfinder. You can use stuff, but a few details need a tweak.

Perhaps someone that knows the systems better than I can give a more accurate answer.
Yes "Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game" is 3.5, and it requires the PHB.
Honestly I wasn't impressed with this book. It makes so many alterations to the core D&D ideas that they might as well have written another game. And I think they could have got the "flavour" of Warcraft just using the D&D rules.
For example, I have used Classic D&D for a Warcraft campaign. I simply: excluded halflings, elves access the spell lists in the Alfheim Gazetteer, clerics don't exist, and druids are accessible from 1st level.

Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Post by Ivellius » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:31 am

MG has a reasonable amount of new content, from what I recall. The MoM doesn't cover things that debuted after WC3, so that's quite a few additional creatures if you're looking for monsters found in WoW. It also updates some creatures a bit.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:23 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I used to think (incorrectly) that Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game was 3.0, while World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying game was 3.5. But I've since found out that it is more like Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game is D&D, while World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game is a d20 System game that had some SRD elements swapped out for elements that use words from Blizzard's MMO version of World of Warcraft.

Yes "Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game" is 3.5, and it requires the PHB.
Honestly I wasn't impressed with this book. It makes so many alterations to the core D&D ideas that they might as well have written another game. And I think they could have got the "flavour" of Warcraft just using the D&D rules.
I knew that World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game was non-standard. Are you saying that Warcraft: The Roleplaing Game is also non-standard? :?

I've not got either of the core rulebooks yet, and am still deciding which one to go for.
rabindranath72 wrote:For example, I have used Classic D&D for a Warcraft campaign. I simply: excluded halflings, elves access the spell lists in the Alfheim Gazetteer, clerics don't exist, and druids are accessible from 1st level.
Did you build any Warcraft/WoW critters (like murlocs) for Classic D&D?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:46 am

I recently picked up a copy of the Manual of Monsters for CAN $20. It's a great v.3.5 monster book, IMO. Incorporating it into a world would taken some work, but it wouldn't be impossible. The variant undead templates in it a very cool!
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:55 am

It also includes PC racial traits for the following entries:

Cenarius's Children
— Centaur
— Dryad
— Keeper of the Grove
Draenel
Dragonspawn
— Wyrm Kin
— Flametongue
— Scalebane
Furbolg (and Corrupted Furbolg)
Gnoll
Kobold
Murloc
Naga
Ogre
Pandaren
Quilboar
Trogg
Troll
— Dark Troll
— Forest Troll
— Ice Troll
— Jungle Troll
Tuskarr
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:33 pm

Wow, lots of god PC races. Thanks for the heads up KF, this is definitely going on my list!

Return to “World of Warcraft”