Could MMO screen-shots make game mats?

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Could MMO screen-shots make game mats?

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:06 pm

I just had a thought, but am not sure how well it would work. :?

You can change the "camera" view in the World of Warcraft MMO, but has anyone ever tried to get a top-down camera view, so that they could take a screen shot of the floor to make floorplans?

There is some pretty nice looking terrain in the MMO. And if you could get a top-down view, maybe you could print out some nice looking game mats.

Floor plans of buildings, like taverns, might also be quite useful.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Re: Could MMO screen-shots make game mats?

Post by Bonetti » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:30 pm

You could, but you'll still have your character in the middle (since you'd need to be zoomed out).

I haven't checked it in a while, but there used to be a number of map and model viewers, e.g. wow map view, wowmapviewer, wow model viewer. Those would likely give you a lot more camera positioning control, and you wouldn't have to worry about creatures, players, (or yourself) being in the way. Of course, you also will only have the static geometry -- any spawned doodads (which are game objects) also won't appear.

I should add that, since there's a trial client (and it may have most of the data included at this point), you might well be able to poke at more or less everything without buying the game.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Could MMO screen-shots make game mats?

Post by Big Mac » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:57 am

Bonetti wrote:You could, but you'll still have your character in the middle (since you'd need to be zoomed out).

I haven't checked it in a while, but there used to be a number of map and model viewers, e.g. wow map view, wowmapviewer, wow model viewer. Those would likely give you a lot more camera positioning control, and you wouldn't have to worry about creatures, players, (or yourself) being in the way. Of course, you also will only have the static geometry -- any spawned doodads (which are game objects) also won't appear.
Have you seen worldofmapcraft.com? They are already doing the sort of thing I mean, but they are doing it at a much lower resolution. Perhaps their website would be something that could be used to recycle MMO maps into tabletop maps*. There is also mapwow.com. That is pretty good, but you can't zoom all the way in. (And they don't have a little man that you can throw on the map for a Google Street View version! :lol: )

* = Taking into account the need to add more detail that you and Night Druid have already pointed out.
Bonetti wrote:I should add that, since there's a trial client (and it may have most of the data included at this point), you might well be able to poke at more or less everything without buying the game.
Well, I did play the game before, so I've already bought the installation CDs. I've heard of people running private servers to do Machinima (without people running through the middle of their film :o ) maybe there is a way to pull the pre-Cataclysm floorplans out (assuming my CDs don't have some sort of weird proto-WoW MMO map that got instantly replaced by an update).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “World of Warcraft”