Who is the BBEG in Mists of Pandaria?

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Teazia
Gnoll

Who is the BBEG in Mists of Pandaria?

Post by Teazia » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:26 am

So who is the BBEG in the new expansion? I havent played in 2 years, and don't hope to get back, but the lore is always kinda interesting.

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Split from Azeroth once had two moons... thread. Please start a new thread, if you wish to discuss a new topic.

However, please also bear in mind that the World of Warcraft forum at The Piazza is intended for discussions about tabletop roleplay in the Warcraft Campaign Setting or World of Warcraft Campaign Setting. Discussion of the BBEG in Mists of Pandaria is fine, as long as there is some sort of tabletop angle involved.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Re: Who is the BBEG in Mists of Pandaria?

Post by Bonetti » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:44 pm

In Cataclysm, Thrall left the position of Warchief and handed it to Garrosh Hellscream, son of Grom.

In Mists, they initially indicated that there was no BBEG, but have since backtracked on the attempt to keep it secret. Garrosh is expected to be corrupted by his lust for war, turn to the fel magics below Orgrimmar (perhaps the Burning Blade is resurgent?) and he will be the end boss of the final raid of Mists.

The story arc isn't known in full yet, it will be fleshed out over the course of the expansion.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:38 am

Bonetti wrote:In Cataclysm, Thrall left the position of Warchief and handed it to Garrosh Hellscream, son of Grom.

In Mists, they initially indicated that there was no BBEG, but have since backtracked on the attempt to keep it secret. Garrosh is expected to be corrupted by his lust for war, turn to the fel magics below Orgrimmar (perhaps the Burning Blade is resurgent?) and he will be the end boss of the final raid of Mists.
Expected to be? Does that mean he hasn't been corrupted (and turned into the BBEG) yet? Or is he not visible in the MMO yet?

Is there any way you anticipate the reveal of details might provide inspiration for the tabletop game? Like Teazia, I've not been playing.

Do you think that the changes in individual patches could be used as a plot arc for the tabletop game?

EDIT: I've deided to expore that option in a new thread called MMO patch releases as inspiration for tabletop plot arcs.
Bonetti wrote:The story arc isn't known in full yet, it will be fleshed out over the course of the expansion.
Hmm. That kind of makes it harder to raid from this for tabletop play, as details are not fixed. On the other hand, this does mean that Cataclysm joins the other finished versions of World of Warcraft (WoW classic, Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Litch King) as versions of the MMO that could be raided as eras of time for the tabletop RPG.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:00 am

Big Mac wrote:
Bonetti wrote:In Cataclysm, Thrall left the position of Warchief and handed it to Garrosh Hellscream, son of Grom.

Expected to be? Does that mean he hasn't been corrupted (and turned into the BBEG) yet? Or is he not visible in the MMO yet?
Garrosh has been in-game since Burning Crusade. The Horde quests in Nagrand revolve (mostly) around two things: Redeeming Garrosh (who is the leader but feels futility due to his father's "weakness") and learning of Thrall's family (his grandmother is a village elder). Once Garrosh is shown his father's heroic end (freeing the orcs from the felblood taint), it turns his attitude around.

In Wrath, Garrosh is tutored in war by Saurfang the Elder in Warsong Hold and is already showing his impetuousness. I seem to recall he also challenged Thrall for command of the Horde in the build up to either one of the patches or the actual expansion.

As of Cataclysm, he's the Warchief -- Thrall's now a World Shaman (or maybe The World Shaman) and he stepped down. Furthermore, he slew Cairne Bloodhoof (although, to be fair, the poison was a Grimtotem plot he was unaware of), drove Vol'jin from Orgrimmar, and launched a major Horde offensive to establish the Horde, once again, as a war machine.

I should note that he's very driven by victory in war, as shown by the new Horde storyline in Stonetalon. (I haven't seen the Alliance side, but I hear it's brutal.) The player works his way up in the local general's legion, ending with the commander (who took Garrosh's "Victory or Death" speech to heart) unleashing a fairly nasty weapon of mass destruction on a school of druids. That earned him a Plot Death when Garrosh lectures him about honor and tosses him off a mountain.

So, Garrosh (as of Cataclysm) is bloodthirsty but, at some level, honorable.

The reveal from Blizzard is that, basically, he's going to decide that power trumps honor, and will enter some sort of alliance with the fel forces and covens which still lurk under Orgrimmar (see: Burning Blade, and Ragefire Chasm).
Big Mac wrote:Is there any way you anticipate the reveal of details might provide inspiration for the tabletop game? Like Teazia, I've not been playing.

Do you think that the changes in individual patches could be used as a plot arc for the tabletop game?
Sure. Use it as a campaign. This would be especially fun for an Alliance campaign, and you could potentially even stamp out the Horde in your game world if that's what you want to do. Or use it as payback for the rather lopsided Horde gains in Cataclysm (if that's your setting).

Basically, the patches either push a story forward or are filler content. The latter are just things to kill and loot while waiting for the next story bit, the former are ideal for use as story arcs in tabletop gaming. In fact, they'd probably work better there, since less would be via cinematic :-)

The differences in storytelling style are significant, and I, personally, was erring toward WoW's approach in my tabletop (4e Mystara) game for a while. Now that I've had a hiatus and some distance, I'm rethinking how to tell stories in a pen & paper game, so that question sort of falls in line with stuff I'm occasionally thinking about.

Since the Mists of Pandaria plot isn't fully revealed yet, I can't offer a blueprint :-) However, if I were running a tabletop game and planned to incorporate the changes (and were fairly "current"), I'd have some background "Burning Blade activity is increasing near Orgrimmar" thing going on. Maybe add some mysterious deaths as color during an unrelated adventure, or make sure the players saw the storyline from Stonetalon (or have another of Garrosh's generals go crazy like Krom'gar, and maybe even let Garrosh forgive it). The latter could even just be background "chatter" in pubs. "Hey, did you hear about General Orzog? Garrosh gave him the task of securing [somewhere very distant], and he massacred undefended villages with fel weaponry. Hellscream claimed he punished him, but I hear Orzog's now leading the legions in Pandaria..."

Actually, having just re-watched the recent Captain America movie, one could use the Hydra weaponry and storyline as a skeleton to flesh out, only using fel weapons. And "Orzog Redskull" wouldn't be the worst orc name ever, Garrosh gets semi-plausible deniability (while still retaining a BBEG status). And who wouldn't want to try out being Captain Stormwind?
Big Mac wrote:Hmm. That kind of makes it harder to raid from this for tabletop play, as details are not fixed. On the other hand, this does mean that Cataclysm joins the other finished versions of World of Warcraft (WoW classic, Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Litch King) as versions of the MMO that could be raided as eras of time for the tabletop RPG.
Cataclysm was "done" when 5.0 went live in the build up to Mists of Pandaria. Actually, content-wise, it was complete with the Deathwing raid. (Technically, Wrath continued past the Arthas raid, but only because they tossed in a one-off raid encounter which sort of bridged them and gave a premonition of Deathwing's return before the actual Cataclysm patch.)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

Return to “World of Warcraft”