Design Template of the Official Books

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Deckenpuppel
Orc

Design Template of the Official Books

Post by Deckenpuppel » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:33 am

Hey everybody,

I was just wondering, with projects like EMM&M, if the design template of the official layout was available anywhere. I am thinking about writing up a thing or two, and having it look pleasing to the eye by having a fitting template would certainly boost my motivation.

Any advice/thoughts?

Ivellius
Hobgoblin

Re: Design Template of the Official Books

Post by Ivellius » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:14 pm

It'd be neat to have. I have no help to offer with this, though.

What are you working on? I'm curious!

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:06 pm

I don't know, but if you put one together (or find one), please let us know :-)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

Deckenpuppel
Orc

Post by Deckenpuppel » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:53 am

I am not 'really' working on anything. But maybe I would have expanded and added a few new location descriptions such as those I posted on the other forum. I also have a line-up for the Shadow Council that I could get out there. Not stats, mind you, since my work always is meant to be included in my fanfiction rather than adventures, but a little background. A few of the plots I have not yet written could be turned into adventure parts, though, I suppose.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:04 pm

I'm actually working on a spreadsheet that sort of does this. The plan is that you can enter the variables (font size, colours, table/list formatting, etc), and it will spit out a css file that can be used to quickly restyle a web page.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:04 pm

Ashtagon wrote:I'm actually working on a spreadsheet that sort of does this. The plan is that you can enter the variables (font size, colours, table/list formatting, etc), and it will spit out a css file that can be used to quickly restyle a web page.
Very neat....I'd definitely be interested in getting my hands on that. It'd be cool to almost have an official looking homebrew rules document.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:08 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Ashtagon wrote:I'm actually working on a spreadsheet that sort of does this. The plan is that you can enter the variables (font size, colours, table/list formatting, etc), and it will spit out a css file that can be used to quickly restyle a web page.
Very neat....I'd definitely be interested in getting my hands on that. It'd be cool to almost have an official looking homebrew rules document.
My main concern is creating a viable way to implement fonts. The font-family css tag is the simplest method, but relies on the end user having the font installed. The @font-family tag is another solution, but that relies on uploading both a .ttf file and a .eot file (for MSIE compatibility). And of course, distributing certain fonts imposes its own legal issues. Even so, there is still a massive amount of customisation possible even if you ignore the font face. My spreadsheet already includes the necessary hooks for implementing a font. The decision over how to add specific fonts is a later decision made at a later stage in page construction.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:09 am

Deckenpuppel wrote:I was just wondering, with projects like EMM&M, if the design template of the official layout was available anywhere. I am thinking about writing up a thing or two, and having it look pleasing to the eye by having a fitting template would certainly boost my motivation.
I did invite Greywolf to The Piazza, back in 2012 when I wrote this thread about EMM&M. He was busy working on non-RPG stuff at that time, but maybe he is less busy now.

Perhaps you could get in touch with him yourself. If you do, please let him know that we would still love to see him over here. (And I'm sure that people would also love to see him write about his work on Xander 212's forum.)

From what I know, there were two other netbooks, to go with EMM&M, but I've not heard anything of them for a few years now. :(
Ashtagon wrote:
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
My main concern is creating a viable way to implement fonts. The font-family css tag is the simplest method, but relies on the end user having the font installed. The @font-family tag is another solution, but that relies on uploading both a .ttf file and a .eot file (for MSIE compatibility). And of course, distributing certain fonts imposes its own legal issues. Even so, there is still a massive amount of customisation possible even if you ignore the font face. My spreadsheet already includes the necessary hooks for implementing a font. The decision over how to add specific fonts is a later decision made at a later stage in page construction.
My main desire for this sort of thing would be to be able to create PDFs that look very similar to the official products. Do you think your CSS work would be something that could help with MS Word documents that I want to export to Adobe Acrobat?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “World of Warcraft”