Dark Dungeons Deluxe

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Dark Dungeons Deluxe

Postby Peter » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:14 am

I've been working on a reformated and expanded version of Dark Dungeons. The plan is to cram as much as possible from the BECMI supplements into 750 pages.
Here is the current version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhjq7xuzarrh2 ... s.pdf?dl=1

Changes So Far

Layout
Reduced to 2-column layout
Different color choices
Header and footer images
Color class and monster art
New Cover
Spellchecked for American English
Changed equals seperated tables to real tables
Moved Magic Item Creation sections to Treasure chapter
Merged duplicate info
Removed Into Dark Dungeons, Effects of Damage, Restoring the Petrified and Restoring Life Energy sections

Classes
New Classes: Gnome (PC2)
New Subclasses: Aquatic Elf (PC3), Assassin (RC[Thug]), Bard (DRG177), Berserker (RC[Monster]), Charioteer (HWR2), Dervish (GAZ2), Half-Elf (DRG178)
Druids are now a full class (DRGN177)
Thief ability progression to level 14 reverted to expert set. After level 14 progresses similarly to RC
Demi-humans get ability score adjustments (GAZ10,AD&D)
Statblocks rather than repitive text
Condensed and integrated the Immortal class and moved to the Classes chapter
Reverted the Demi-human extended level XP to the official XP

Skills
New Skills: Snares (RC)

Equipment
New Equipment: Bagh naka (IMAG24), Boomerang (DRG186), Chakram (X5), Flail (BS1P), Kite Shield (GAZ15), Lasso (GAZ12), Morning Star (BS1P), Rapier (DRG175), Shoes (RC), Small Shield (GAZ15), Stiletto (HWR3), Swordstick (IMAGSE), Tower Shield (GAZ15)
Miniature/Giant Weapons (PC1, PC2)

Spells
Elves have a new spell list with some new spells (GAZ5)
Some spells now function differently when cast underwater (PC3)
New Spells: Create Time Gate (Immortal's Companion), Earth to Air (Iron Urchin), Water to Ice (Ice Spider), Time Travel (Immortal's Companion)

Monsters
New Monsters: Bhut (DMR2), Bird of Prey, Giant Shrew (RC), Spook (Lesser Haunt, DMR2), Nomad (RC), Trader (RC)
Changed Lesser Phoenix to Firebird (I12+MCSA2)
Changed Small Roc to Giant Bird of Prey
Renamed Lesser Djinni to Djinni, Lesser Efreeti to Efreeti
Renamed Wind Walker to Aerial Servant (Swords & Wizardry uses it without Tome of Horrors attribution so it may be generic enough to use)
Renamed Dragonion to Drake (From mythology, another word for dragon)
Size statblock entry added
Monsters as Classes: Bugbear (GAZ10), Centaur (PC1), Dryad (PC1), Gnoll (GAZ10), Goblin (GAZ10), Kobold (GAZ10), Hobgoblin (GAZ10), Lizardfolk (Drgn185), Neanderthal (Drgn118), Nixie (PC1), Ogre (GAZ10), Orc (GAZ10), Pixie (PC1), Sprite (PC1), Troll (GAZ10), Wood Drake (PC1)
Removed Berserker, it is now a class

Other
Renamed Heatvision to Infravision (Infravision is used in other RPGs, so it should not violate copyright)
Time Travel (Immortal's Companion)

I welcome any contributors. Whether it is a class, spell, rule, etc. As long as it's public domain.
I have a few pieces of art, some of which I paid for. I will be crowdfunding the remaining art once I know whats going to be included. All art will be public domain.
Last edited by Peter on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:07 am, edited 16 times in total.
Peter
Gnoll

Re: Dark Dungeons Deluxe

Postby Blacky the Blackball » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:34 am

That's looking really good!

But you might want to consider actually changing the title to "Dark Dungeons Deluxe" or some similar thing so it doesn't get confused with the original.
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)
Blacky the Blackball
Storm Giant

Postby Peter » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:46 am

That's looking really good!

Thanks.

The footers are still in progress, I had some drawn (swords pointing at the page number) but they didn't fit as I'd hope. They made the footer height too large eating up valuable space.

But you might want to consider actually changing the title to "Dark Dungeons Deluxe" or some similar thing so it doesn't get confused with the original.

Ya, I probably will.

After the spellcasters, I'm going to tackle all the underwater and air rules. I'm also thinking about backporting the chronomancy stuff you did for 5e.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:17 am

This is coming along nicely!
Last edited by Tim Baker on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Peter » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:40 am

I updated the first post with a list of changes so far. I also payed for a Dwarf pic, Halfling is next.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Tim Baker » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:13 am

Peter wrote:I updated the first post with a list of changes so far. I also payed for a Dwarf pic, Halfling is next.

Very iconic-looking dwarf. Nice choice for the race section.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Peter » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:58 am

I updated the first post with recent changes. New version includes more class artwork.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby LimeOdyssey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:00 am

I can do new art for you if you want, just send me a list of what you're after and the style etc. Black and white will be quicker than colour too but I can do either for you.
LimeOdyssey
Hobgoblin

Postby Peter » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:32 am

I changed the chapter layout significantly and moved a bunch of stuff around. Although the original chapter layout was nice for a straight read, as a reference, things were just all over the place. I also trimmed a little fat that didn't flow with the new layout. Chapter 10 is still in progress.

I also started to redo Chapter references to point to the actual section.

As soon as a finish these, I'll finish the Assassin and Ninja and get back to adding more material.

Added an image for the Druid. Every class has an image now except for the fighter.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Tim Baker » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:02 am

Looks great. It's nice to see a lot of examples of female characters.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Peter » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm still working on the layout, I should be about done messing with it. I should have something printable by the end of they year.

Currently I am working on Time Travel rules pulled from Blacky's 5e supplement Immortal's Companion.

More monster Images added. Immortal image added.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:26 pm

What happened to the file? It's not there anymore?
Social Media Links

Malathéa
DevinatArt / Facebook / Google / The Piazza / Twitter / YouTube
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Peter » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:56 pm

Weird, Dropbox unshared it. Link fixed.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:17 pm

The layout is very nice and far easier on my eyes. Any chance of making this available in print through Lulu or DrivethruRpg.com when it's done?
Social Media Links

Malathéa
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Peter » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:34 pm

What are your thoughts on the chapter layout? Original Dark Dungeons reads as your progressing through the game. The way I went is it starts with character creation, than each step is a chapter. Followed by how to play the game in green, and Monsters, Treasure, and DM Specific rules in purple. I put everything related in their own chapters. This makes it easier to reference a rule.

Yes, I will put it on both. It is currently formated to Lulu specifications. The cost will be whatever they charge, no profit on my end.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:37 pm

Peter wrote:What are your thoughts on the chapter layout? Original Dark Dungeons reads as your progressing through the game. The way I went is it starts with character creation, than each step is a chapter. Followed by how to play the game in green, and Monsters, Treasure, and DM Specific rules in purple. I put everything related in their own chapters. This makes it easier to reference a rule.
The chapter layout is something I am very used to, so it makes it easier for me to peruse.

Peter wrote:Yes, I will put it on both. It is currently formatted to Lulu specifications. The cost will be whatever they charge, no profit on my end.
Awesome! :cool:
Social Media Links

Malathéa
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Peter » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:50 pm

The chapter layout is something I am very used to, so it makes it easier for me to peruse.

Okay, cool. Ya me too. I was just hunting down some feedback because I want to make sure it's usable by people besides me :P
Peter
Gnoll

Postby RobJN » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:39 pm

I can't help the snickering every time I read about the example player and her thief character.... :lol:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Peter » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:07 am

A bunch of updates (first post in this thread reflects this).

Most noticeably the addition of Monsters as Classes, they are about 80% done. I'm only doing the mythological and real-world ones.

Some of the classes have been reduced to subclasses. Copy/pasting the same abilities over and over was getting redundant and wasting book space.
Peter
Gnoll

Return to Dark Dungeons