[Dark Dungeons] - OGLBECMI?

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Blacky the Blackball
Storm Giant

Re: OGLBECMI?

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:33 am

Aniodia wrote:I made my comment about allowing others to edit the files more regarding the creation of the PDFs. Because, tbqh, the trial PDFs on the wiki look none too great. There's sentences that are bumped over the top of tables, the Fighter section gets off to a crappy-looking start with a paragraph at the end of the Elf section (and Magic-User at the end of the Halfling is similar), repetition of the same paragraphs can be removed to clean up and open up some space (notably in the cleric turning descriptions and Fighter-class options among the demi-humans), some of the class descriptions are mostly on the page of another class (i.e. the Elf class is mainly on the Dwarf page), etc. etc.
Ah - I've said repeatedly not to worry about the formatting yet.

Once I have artwork in there it's going to change the formatting of everything anyway since room will need to be made for it, so there's no point cleaning it all up now only for it to get repeatedly thrown out of whack later as the insertion of art (or even the modification of text) undoes whatever careful formatting I put in.

And when it comes to getting it ready for print then I may even need to alter things like page sizes and margin widths, which will cause the whole thing to need to be reformatted.

So for the moment I'm making a token effort to get the tables on the correct pages; but that's all. Niceties like getting paragraphs lined up with columns and so on can wait until the text is no longer going to significantly change and the art (assuming I can find enough art, that is) is in.
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:13 am

I've started a habit of setting custom page sizes for my works that have the width of A4 and the height of US Letter paper. That way anyone can print something without cropping or resizing. The only difference between US end-users and everyone else is the slightly larger margins, when printed, either top/bottom or left/right depending on the paper-size used. The actual document-margins and all formatting remains constant.

But as Blacky has stated, thats for much later in the proccess.

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:20 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:I've started a habit of setting custom page sizes for my works that have the width of A4 and the height of US Letter paper. That way anyone can print something without cropping or resizing. The only difference between US end-users and everyone else is the slightly larger margins, when printed, either top/bottom or left/right depending on the paper-size used. The actual document-margins and all formatting remains constant.

But as Blacky has stated, thats for much later in the proccess.
Hmm. So anyone who wants to print this, just has to make sure your document prints in the centre of the sheet of paper. Interesting. :mrgreen:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Uncle Jungle
Hobgoblin

Post by Uncle Jungle » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:10 pm

Just wanted to say "Kudos!" to any and all involved in this project. I read over what I could from the wiki and I am very impressed. I discovered the old school editions just earlier this year (I want to say February) when I stumbled onto the Mentzer Basic Set at a local second hand book shop. I picked it up more out of a strange collectors urge than to actually use it, but once I read it I was hooked. I soon discovered Labyrinth Lord and Swords & Wizardry, but I have been hoping to find an actual BECMI retro-clone ever since due to no luck finding the remaining sets past Expert.

And now I've found it! If I can lend a hand to the project feel free to ask.
"Letting your mind play is the best way to solve problems" - Bill Watterson

Blacky the Blackball
Storm Giant

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:33 pm

Uncle Jungle wrote:Just wanted to say "Kudos!" to any and all involved in this project. I read over what I could from the wiki and I am very impressed. I discovered the old school editions just earlier this year (I want to say February) when I stumbled onto the Mentzer Basic Set at a local second hand book shop. I picked it up more out of a strange collectors urge than to actually use it, but once I read it I was hooked. I soon discovered Labyrinth Lord and Swords & Wizardry, but I have been hoping to find an actual BECMI retro-clone ever since due to no luck finding the remaining sets past Expert.

And now I've found it! If I can lend a hand to the project feel free to ask.
Thanks for the encouragement!

At the moment, it's on a bit of a hiatus for Christmas - I'm doing the family thing rather than working on it; and to be honest the Monsters chapter is pretty soul-destroying due to the amount of work involved for such little progress.

But I should have more updates in the New Year. I'm planning on leaving the Monsters chapter and getting on with more "crunchy" bits and then coming back to that bit later...
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Uncle Jungle
Hobgoblin

Post by Uncle Jungle » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Cool deal, Blacky. Its pretty awesome already so do what you have to do, and I will await to pounce on each new development.
"Letting your mind play is the best way to solve problems" - Bill Watterson

Farquad
Kobold

Re: [Dark Dungeons] - OGLBECMI?

Post by Farquad » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:39 pm

I really like what you've done so far on Dark Dungeons. Man, you crank out chapters fast! And in good quality too. Keep up the good work!

Blacky the Blackball
Storm Giant

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Farquad wrote:I really like what you've done so far on Dark Dungeons. Man, you crank out chapters fast! And in good quality too. Keep up the good work!
Thanks!

Actually, I'm about to get even faster. I'm off work for two weeks over Easter, and the wife and kids are going away. This means I'll have two weeks with pretty much nothing to do but write Dark Dungeons all day.

I'm hoping (but not promising) that I can do the last four chapters in that time and have a first draft ready for proofreading and art solicitation by the time I go back to work on the 19th...

Mr Black
Kobold

Post by Mr Black » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:17 pm

I just noticed this thread. Good work!

I may be able to vacum seal my Rules Cyclopedias and put them in storage once you get this project finished. ;)

APN
Orc

Post by APN » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Followed you over from Dragonsfoot Blacky. Been reading some of the Order of the Stick series too that you mentioned - very funny with lots of "in jokes" that only us geeky types would 'get'. I think the project looks great so far - and the choice of art would make it more accessible and more fun to read too!

As you can see, all of the three and a half minutes I so lovingly put into my own submission were well spent, down to the authentic straight lines on the Dragon/Green dog (that's a beard but, uh, straight lines make it look like a stalactite) and stretched too big brickwork (clearly this was a dungeon built by giants. Oops).

Looking forwards to seeing the finished poject, in the meantime I'll promise to keep reading what you've done and NOT post any more pictures if you promise to keep working as hard as you've done :)

Cheers!

Paul

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:12 pm

Funny picture! :)

Welcome to the Piazza, APN and Mr Black!

Blacky, good job on getting more people here :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

APN
Orc

Post by APN » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:27 pm

Thanks for the welcome :) Just when you think you're a member of all the 'major forums' you hear mention of another and find out it's stacked to the hilt with enthusiastic posters and full of useful stuff, hence why I'm here :) Right, won't hijack the thread, just felt I'd show my appreciation for Blackys' work so far :)

Blacky the Blackball
Storm Giant

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Hey, welcome to The Piazza...

I won't criticise your art - because I certainly can't do any better!

And besides, it made me smile - which I need at the moment since I'm getting so mired in the Monster chapter. In terms of page count, it's nearly a third of the whole book all by itself. And writing each entry involves messing about looking things up from five other files, and possibly two hard-copy books too; so it's like plodding through treacle...

Return to “Dark Dungeons”