Orcs of Thar in Dark Dungeons

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Orcs of Thar in Dark Dungeons

Post by Boddynock » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:08 am

So I recently got a copy of the Orcs of Thar Gazetteer and noticed it had some rules to create OD&D humanoid characters. I understand if it's been awhile since anyone has looked at those rules, but off hand would they work kind of well with Dark Dungeons? Or would their be any additions you'd Blacky or others might make? Using my DD hardcover I had the idea to run either a Thar campaign (a lot of Mystara seems to take place in Karameikos, but I shall bunk the pack!) or on my own realm of Globus which I still am building.

So if anyone just happened to glance over at Thar and has any insight, I'd appreciate it.

-Boddynock
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

BillionSix
Hobgoblin

Re: Orcs of Thar in Dark Dungeons

Post by BillionSix » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:57 am

I mentioned it in a thread I started way back when about converting the Creature Crucible characters over to Dark Dungeons. I would probably start with the Orcs of Thar and work from there.
Here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=4565
Last edited by Blacky the Blackball on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link

Blacky the Blackball
Storm Giant

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:11 am

Personally, I'd just let the humanoid races use re-fluffed versions of the human/demi-human races, possibly with a few minor changes. It's far easier than trying to mess about with combining monster hit-dice and class levels.
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:25 pm

That's true too. That or wait for The Darkening Dungeons when you release humanoid race/class : D

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:11 am

I think I just happen to be blessed with agreeable players than anything, but you actually gave me a bright idea. I basically asked my two humanoid players why they wanted to play an ogre/minotaur. They basically liked the flavor, one just likes wolves and minotaur so she wanted to play a sort of race. So instead of making new ones I just let her play a fighter (her favorite class) and said she was a minotaur, I figured I'd let her use a gore attack as an unarmed ability. The guy who wanted to play an ogre, I was going to touch on the dwarf racial class, but the same ideas applied. So thanks Blacky

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:41 pm

My experience with playing/GMing humanoids on the basis of this gazzeteer (and of the other creature expansion the tall tales of the small people that is about pixies, centaurs etc.) has been great, both under the point of view of having, basically, an endless number of creature choices for the players and under the point of view of having specific rules for different sizes (that make lots of sense!).
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Return to “Dark Dungeons”