Advanced Dark Dungeons?

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Advanced Dark Dungeons?

Post by Big Mac » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:19 pm

This is a question to Blacky the Blackball.

I know you are planning on Dark Dungeons, Darker Dungeons and Darkest Dungeons.

But, if they got finished and you were happy that you had ironed out any bugs that crept in, would you ever consider using the SRD to emulate the mechanics of the other out of print fork of "the world's most popular roleplaying game"?

If the world had both Dark Dungeons, to emulate the first branch of the game and Advanced Dark Dungeons to emulate the second branch of the game, that would make it possible for any old school players to buy new rulebooks.

David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above

Re: Advanced Dark Dungeons?

Post by PelinoreRevived » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:45 pm

+1 from me!

I would not only play it, but all of the material that I produce for www.pelinore.org would be statted for both Dark Dungeons and Advanced Dark Dungeons. Just like the original Pelinore authors statted their material for two well known systems :D
PelinoreRevived, the artist formerly known as KneverwinterKnight

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Wouldn't that be rather redundant? I mean there's already OSRIC out there for people who want to play an emulated AD&D...
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:05 am

Blacky the Blackball wrote:Wouldn't that be rather redundant? I mean there's already OSRIC out there for people who want to play an emulated AD&D...
OSRIC is based on 1st Edition AD&D, rather than 2nd Edition, or the revised 2nd Edition.

I thought that with Dark Dungeons being similar to RC, it was the "end" of OD&D. I'm not sure if anyone has done that sort of thing for 2e.

Plus if Darker Dungeons and Darkest Dungeons can "improve" classic D&D, I wonder if a hypothetical Advanced Dark Dungeons could become the Pathfinder for 2nd Edition. :? :cool: :mrgreen:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:23 am

I would say something, but think David said it all....so how about I just agree with him on all fronts. I was going to do write a 2e clone, but never really got around to it. I do know I would support it no only with my money, but my time as well.
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

The Scarecrow
Orc

Post by The Scarecrow » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:19 am

Hi guys, there'so need to create a retroclone of AD&D 2e because someone has yet done it with success :)
Look here:
http://www.newhavengames.com/?page_id=23
Myth & Magic Player's available in pdf format at Drivethrurpg and a Kickstarter project has been founded to create the hardback version. The DM Guide is available for free.
As for Dark Dungeons, M&M revisited its AD&D 2e counterpart modifying some old features in a modern way (e.g., Saving Throws and Ability checks has been converted to the extended D&D 3.5 mechanic) but it respects the old AD&D 2e mechanics for the most part.

Sock Puppet
Troll

Post by Sock Puppet » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:45 am

I was also planning on making an "Advanced Dark Dungeons", but lack of time and insufficient rest keeps stopping me. And with so many others doing the same thing, it seemed a little redundant.
I am Ashtagon's sock puppet account.

Return to “Dark Dungeons”