Converting AD&D Material to Dark Dungeons

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Converting AD&D Material to Dark Dungeons

Post by Boddynock » Sun May 27, 2012 1:30 pm

So today I begin my Dark Dungeons campaign with my weekly work group, I'll report later on how it goes and I don't have modules to run yet. However I wanted to know if there were few, if any, guidelines to convert AD&D to DD. Here's what I guess goes into the conversion, but I'd appreciate corrections if I'm wrong or additions.

AC doesn't change
HD becomes the new attack value for said monsters
Classes like Assassins should be converted to thieves, Druids into clerics, Paladins into fighters. Unless we're in a high level game (in this we have starting characters, so no one can be a druid/chevaliers just yet.
For different races I personally just convert them to the core classes, maybe with a few items tacked on. Like the gnome I made for a character. I just used Magic-User with the Small feat and a spell called Cantrip the gnome could use once per day.

Is this a pretty good start for conversion purposes? My goal is to stick to Dark Dungeons as my go-to fantasy for when I run games, and just sort of convert adventure modules I like to that.

-Boddynock
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

smarttman
Hobgoblin

Re: Converting AD&D Material to Dark Dungeons

Post by smarttman » Sun May 27, 2012 4:45 pm

Well, if you could dig up a copy of the Rules Compendium (either digitally or in print), they have guidelines for converting between AD&D and Basic

Blacky the Blackball
Storm Giant

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Mon May 28, 2012 12:38 am

Boddynock wrote:AC doesn't change
There's sometimes a one-point difference (BECMI D&D started at AC9 for unarmoured humans rather than AC10) but I wouldn't worry about it.
HD becomes the new attack value for said monsters
I'd use the table on page 205 to derive the attack value from the hit dice - modifying for weapon mastery if the monster has it (Dark Dungeons assumes that all humanoid monsters have weapon mastery as if they were fighters of equal level to their hit dice).
Classes like Assassins should be converted to thieves, Druids into clerics, Paladins into fighters. Unless we're in a high level game (in this we have starting characters, so no one can be a druid/chevaliers just yet.
For different races I personally just convert them to the core classes, maybe with a few items tacked on. Like the gnome I made for a character. I just used Magic-User with the Small feat and a spell called Cantrip the gnome could use once per day.
Sounds fine to me.
Is this a pretty good start for conversion purposes? My goal is to stick to Dark Dungeons as my go-to fantasy for when I run games, and just sort of convert adventure modules I like to that.
Very little conversion should be needed. You can probably just wing it and in most cases use the published stats in adventures as they are.
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Peter
Gnoll

Post by Peter » Mon May 28, 2012 10:41 am

You could use this in reverse.

http://www.pandius.com/ddaddcon.html

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Mon May 28, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks Peter and the other responses. The Pandius link is a good start, but it doesn't all mesh well with Dark Dungeons because it takes all of the classes to 36. However I'm grateful for any material to read over.
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Return to “Dark Dungeons”