[darkest Dungeon] Brain damage

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

[darkest Dungeon] Brain damage

Post by Yaztromo » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Sorry if I borrow this example from another source.... :oops:

Wolverine, when he gets an adamantium bullet through his brain, regenerates the brain damage and can become again fully functional under the physical point of view (walk, jump, see, use his abilities, etc.), but loses his memory.
Are you thinking about adding something similar to Darkest Dungeons or you feel it would generate an enormous and unstoppable amount of meta-gaming, where the player knows plenty of things that the character forgot?
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Blacky the Blackball
Storm Giant

Re: [darkest Dungeon] Brain damage

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:46 pm

Since people in Darkest Dungeons don't actually regenerate - instead healing is done via magic, I've generally assumed that magic powerful enough to heal the physical brain is also powerful enough to restore the personality and memories that the intact brain had before it was damaged. That's one reason why brain healing is much more difficult than most other healing.

Otherwise a system of losing memories or changing personality would be simply too cumbersome, and crucially it would also mean changing the character that someone is playing without their permission - which is generally not liked.

That's not to say that someone who had most of their brain destroyed and then healed might not want to roleplay memory loss or personality change, but there's nothing in the rules forcing it on people.
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Return to “Dark Dungeons”