[BGG] Official setting comments

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

[BGG] Official setting comments

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:05 am

I know it's a bit early, but I'd like to kick off the discussion (mostly speculative, at the moment) about the official setting as described in the "work in progress" file.

We could write down what we like/dislike and what kind of ideas or suggestions this setting is suggesting us.
Just for fun and ideas exchange, of course!
Last edited by Yaztromo on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Re: [Darkest Dungeons] Official setting comments

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:25 am

Persaanlly, this setting brought back to my mind a comedy from a famous elizabethan author: Ben Johnson (considered to be a very close friend of William Shakespeare, another guy that can provide a wealth of material for this setting!).

The comedy I'm talking about is "Volpone, or the Fox" (a story of a heirless man that is said to be very rich and very sick, so he lures would-be heirs to his bed and with the help of his servants pushes the greedy people to give rich gifts to him in the hope he will return them multiplied in his will - it is a typical Roman/Greek setting).

The interesting point of this comedy (besides the elizabethan feel in the background even if it's fictionally staged in Venice in order to avoid censors as some character was actually representing some contemporary political person) is that all the characters have "animal" names (in the comedy the names are in Italian, that was a fashionable setting at elizabethan times).
For example, the protagonist is Volpone is a fox (perfect for our setting, as foxfolks do exist and actually Queen Elizabeth is one of them!), there is a Doctor named as lupo (i.e. wolf, and we have wolffolk!), but unfortunately we also have other animals that do not fit perfectly in our setting, like Mosca (the fly, a parasite), Corbaccio (Raven), Corvino (Crow), Voltore (Vulture), etc. however it can be a good starting point.

Another Ben Johnson's comedy that would fit with this setting (but no "animal" names this time...) is the Alchemist, with a plot based on a fake alchemist that continually asks for extra funds from his victims in order to produce for them a philosopher's stone.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:54 pm

It is not clear to me if in the official setting there is division between the Christian Churches (Catholics, Church of England.... any other?).
Queen Mary was fiercely Catholic (including rebuild of the Inquisition as a major power), while her half-sister Queen Elizabeth was Church of England.
In BGG, Mary adopts foxgirl Elizabeth and it's unclear if they are of different confessions and even if there are different confessions at all (or maybe that's not a real problem, given the situation).
Is Elizabeth changing Mary's policies (as in the real world) or more following her?

Blacky the Blackball
Storm Giant

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi! I'm back from holiday now so I can answer this...
Yaztromo wrote:It is not clear to me if in the official setting there is division between the Christian Churches (Catholics, Church of England.... any other?).
Queen Mary was fiercely Catholic (including rebuild of the Inquisition as a major power), while her half-sister Queen Elizabeth was Church of England.
In BGG, Mary adopts foxgirl Elizabeth and it's unclear if they are of different confessions and even if there are different confessions at all (or maybe that's not a real problem, given the situation).
Is Elizabeth changing Mary's policies (as in the real world) or more following her?
Given that the Barren Plague started on the very day that Luther nailed his Theses to the church door, my assumption was that a combination of...

1) People having bigger things to worry about (like the lack of children being born)
2) Rumours that the plague might somehow be punishment for Luther's outrageous heresy

...has meant that protestantism has never really got organised. There have been various protestant groups (and groups with strange gnostic or pagan beliefs) springing up saying that they have "the answer" and that following them instead of the Catholic church would make the plague go away; but since none of them worked they've mostly petered out as their members died of old age. Similarly, as people have died off and travel and communication between countries or even cities has become harder and harder, even the Catholic church is not so catholic any more. With no communication possible with any central hierarchy, each local church or group of churches has been left to their own devices and they are drifting apart doctrinally.

So the basic state of religion is that theoretically everyone is still Catholic because the major protestant denominations such as Anglicanism and Lutherism never got off the ground. King Henry never needed to found his own church because given the state of the world he could just pressure the local Catholic church to change their stance on divorce and they didn't have the strong backing of Rome to be able to resist such political pressure. Hence, in and around London the church is theoretically still Catholic. There is no Church of England and Elizabeth is a "Catholic" (at least in name). However, the massive societal upheaval has meant that her Catholicism doesn't necessarily bear much resemblance to real-world Catholicism. Plus there are lots of cults and heresies out there being followed by small groups; some harmless and some not so harmless.

And, of course, London also contains small numbers of Jews, Muslims and even - because of the Japanese mission that got stranded there - quite a few Buddhists and followers of Shinto. Not to mention the pagans who were mostly around in the villages rather than the big city, but held on more than in the real world because their nature magic actually works.
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Re: [BGG] Official setting comments

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:19 pm

...and.. ehm... are you planning to put together adventures and similar expansions for the default setting??? :mrgreen:

Blacky the Blackball
Storm Giant

Re: [BGG] Official setting comments

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:59 pm

I wasn't planning to, for the same reason that I haven't for Dark Dungeons. I prefer my systems to be single-book.

However, since I'm putting stuff out as freely as I can (all in the Public Domain except where the OGL prevents me from doing that) there's nothing to stop anyone else from writing adventures or campaigns for any of the system books I've put out.
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:20 pm

Blacky the Blackball wrote: So the basic state of religion is that theoretically everyone is still Catholic because the major protestant denominations such as Anglicanism and Lutherism never got off the ground. King Henry never needed to found his own church because given the state of the world he could just pressure the local Catholic church to change their stance on divorce and they didn't have the strong backing of Rome to be able to resist such political pressure. Hence, in and around London the church is theoretically still Catholic. There is no Church of England and Elizabeth is a "Catholic" (at least in name). However, the massive societal upheaval has meant that her Catholicism doesn't necessarily bear much resemblance to real-world Catholicism. Plus there are lots of cults and heresies out there being followed by small groups; some harmless and some not so harmless.

And, of course, London also contains small numbers of Jews, Muslims and even - because of the Japanese mission that got stranded there - quite a few Buddhists and followers of Shinto. Not to mention the pagans who were mostly around in the villages rather than the big city, but held on more than in the real world because their nature magic actually works.
A small afterthought on this: Queen Mary "re-built" (basically from nothing) the Inquisition as a way to remove Church of England and go back to "pure" Catholocism, and in-game, Inquisition is a very important part of the Curch and the society (see: Scourges!).
If we don't have a Church of England (or similar organized "heresies") during Mary's reign, but other urgencies, why would she re-build the Inquisition (that before her substantially didn't exist anymore in Britain)?
Is it possible that it was due to the Plague been rumoured to be linked to some divine punishment of some sort? Probably in that case the Inquisition wouldn't have a clear and organized "target" as the Chrurch of England, but... what are your thoughts on this?

Return to “Dark Dungeons”