Fey realm in RL

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.

Fey realm in RL

Postby Corsair14 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:52 am

I am thinking of doing a realm for a 5e game that I cannot find. There will be dungeons and such, a small town where PCs can base out of. Basic premise is a fey realm with the dark lord being a fey queen gone bad. I plan on swamps and deep forest being the majority of the realm and some low mountains on the edge. A lot of this is just me thinking out loud but would appreciate ideas and suggestions.

-One of the ideas I have been bouncing around is a small dwarven hamlet which is massacred every week by forces under the dark queen. They start lumbering a section of forest with screaming trees, queen sends her people in to destroy the dwarves instead of trying to talk to them, wipes the town completely. Then the next morning trees are back as is the hamlet to start over again.

-I havent figured out a reason for them to various dungeons outside the standard "Go find this" or "rumor this is here." I need some motivation/story.

-Obviously there will be dark fey encounters and other fey suitably darkened.

-Was thinking about making one of the forests quasi-intelligent and having at least impulse control over the wood elves and other denizens living there a la old school WH wood elves.

-Thinking a great hunt type scenario as well.

-Pretty much going to have them on traveling to a dungeon on Krynn and maybe getting there before getting them lost in the mists.
Corsair14
Goblin
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Re: Fey realm in RL

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:49 pm

I highly suggest brushing up on your Knowledge of The Shadow Rift as it may very well suit your desires.

Corsair14 wrote:Was thinking about making one of the forests quasi-intelligent and having at least impulse control over the wood elves and other denizens living there a la old school WH wood elves.

Check out Tales Of The Old Margreve as it definitely touches on this and has information infinitely useful to adding these elements to your game.
User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
 
Posts: 7736
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Location: Solomani Rim; Terra; North America; USA; Arizona

Re: Fey realm in RL

Postby thorr-kan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:54 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:I highly suggest brushing up on your Knowledge of The Shadow Rift as it may very well suit your desires.

Corsair14 wrote:Was thinking about making one of the forests quasi-intelligent and having at least impulse control over the wood elves and other denizens living there a la old school WH wood elves.

Check out Tales Of The Old Margreve as it definitely touches on this and has information infinitely useful to adding these elements to your game.

I cannot second this recommendation enough.
thorr-kan
Gnoll
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: Fey realm in RL

Postby Tim Baker » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:01 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:Check out Tales Of The Old Margreve as it definitely touches on this and has information infinitely useful to adding these elements to your game.

After reading the post on G+ pointing to this thread, I came here to recommend exactly this. Angel Tarragon and thorr-kan beat me to it, but I'll third the suggestion. You might find some helpful inspiration in Courts of the Shadow Fey as well.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
User avatar
Tim Baker
Axe Beak
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:51 am
Location: United States

Re: Fey realm in RL

Postby willpell » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:41 am

"Gone bad" he says, as though the Fey were not terrifying in the first place....
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: Fey realm in RL

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:49 am

willpell wrote:"Gone bad" he says, as though the Fey were not terrifying in the first place....

There a bad fey and there are good fey. Though in Ravenloft the good are far and few between.
User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
 
Posts: 7736
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Location: Solomani Rim; Terra; North America; USA; Arizona

Re: Fey realm in RL

Postby RobJN » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:48 am

willpell wrote:"Gone bad" he says, as though the Fey were not terrifying in the first place....

Even at their best, one would be wise not to think of the fey as "good.".... :twisted:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
User avatar
RobJN
Dire Flumph
 
Posts: 3373
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Texas, USA

Re: Fey realm in RL

Postby Corsair14 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:21 pm

I think when most people think of Fey they think of good fey for the most part, sprites, pixies, brownies and so forth. I think its the dark fey everyone forgets about, red caps, quicklings and darker things. Currently reading Van Richtens guide to Shadow Fey. I thought I had all the RL books and netbooks, I'll have to go back and look for those ones you guys listed.

Edit: After I write this I look at my other computer I am reading the book on and find I am on the page describing the differences between shadow fey and normal light and dark fey.
Corsair14
Goblin
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Re: Fey realm in RL

Postby Tim Baker » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:28 pm

Corsair14 wrote:I thought I had all the RL books and netbooks, I'll have to go back and look for those ones you guys listed.

The books we mentioned aren't for Ravenloft, but are for the Midgard campaign setting by Kobold Press, which features shadow fey and dark forests. The feeling of the core of the setting is more Eastern European, and would fit well into what you're describing. However, you'd need to adapt it for use with RL.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
User avatar
Tim Baker
Axe Beak
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:51 am
Location: United States

Re: Fey realm in RL

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:57 am

Tim Baker wrote:The books we mentioned aren't for Ravenloft, but are for the Midgard campaign setting by Kobold Press, which features shadow fey and dark forests. The feeling of the core of the setting is more Eastern European, and would fit well into what you're describing. However, you'd need to adapt it for use with RL.

There is a book for The Shadow Rift, which I did mention in my original reply. It was written for Ravenloft under the AD&D 2E system.
User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
 
Posts: 7736
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Location: Solomani Rim; Terra; North America; USA; Arizona

Re: Fey realm in RL

Postby willpell » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:33 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
willpell wrote:"Gone bad" he says, as though the Fey were not terrifying in the first place....

There a bad fey and there are good fey. Though in Ravenloft the good are far and few between.


The way I figure it, even the good fey are creepy as hell. They might be Good, they might even fit a common-sense definition of benevolence, but the way they do it is wrong somehow. If anyone here is a Marvel Comics fanboy of some vintage, just think of Thanos's brother Eros, aka Starfox. He's one of the good guys, ostensibly, but everything about him is cringeworthy.
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: Fey realm in RL

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:29 pm

willpell wrote:The way I figure it, even the good fey are creepy as hell. They might be Good, they might even fit a common-sense definition of benevolence, but the way they do it is wrong somehow. If anyone here is a Marvel Comics fanboy of some vintage, just think of Thanos's brother Eros, aka Starfox. He's one of the good guys, ostensibly, but everything about him is cringeworthy.

Very cringeworthy. The use of his powers for his own agenda is [ethically and morally] reprehensible.
User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
 
Posts: 7736
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Location: Solomani Rim; Terra; North America; USA; Arizona

Re: Fey realm in RL

Postby willpell » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:06 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:Very cringeworthy. The use of his powers for his own agenda is [ethically and morally] reprehensible.


Right. So, take a guy like that, import him into a universe of objective good and evil, and it becomes possible for him to be literally powered by the cosmic force of Good itself. He is good by definition, regardless of what he does, and your ethics and morals mean nothing. That's what the "good" fey tend towards being, IMO. They're utterly un-human, they don't care about your feelings, and they're going to force you to be happy and shiny and beautiful and content, even if they have to core out every trace of your fundamental humanity to do it. (This may explain why the Eladrins mostly rule over the afterlives of the Elves; nobody else would want them in charge for eternity.)
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm


Return to Ravenloft

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests