Campaign Ideas

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
NJMystaraFan
Goblin

Campaign Ideas

Post by NJMystaraFan » Mon May 14, 2018 12:44 am

Hi All:
I'm thinking of starting a 5e Ravenloft campaign. I ran one in the 2e days, using the Domains of Dread campaign setting. We played natives to the demiplane and had a lot of fun. It was ongoing with many adventures but as the years went by, life changed and people moved away, etc. So it was never finished. I have a new group of players now and we enjoy the 5e rules set. I've done a year long conversion of Pathfinder's Mummy's Mask Adventure Path and we are soon to be wrapping that campaign up. I started looking at my old RL stuff and got the bug again. I'm tossing some ideas around, but I was just curious if anyone has some fun campaign ideas? The Grand Conjunction/Death Trilogy are always mentioned and very epic. I was just wondering what else anyone has come up with? Back in the day, we ran campaigns with no set story or scope, we just kept going. Though I do miss those days, I do like today's style of gaming, with these adventure paths or mega-adventures that have a defined idea or concept. Plus, I'm just so happy to be playing again, that a year long campaign is a great investment. I like things to have a beginning, middle and end. That's just what I enjoy and my new group is ready to try some new characters again. I want to keep it focused and do an overall epic story-arc with various side quests of course. And I'm hoping to get a year or so of play out of it. What other great stories are out there? Have you done an entire campaign in just one domain? I feel RL has so many great stories to tell, but I'm not sure what would be one great one to carry over into a massive plot. Any ideas are appreciated.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Campaign Ideas

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Does Pathfinder have a sequel to Mummy's Mask Adventure Path that is any good for Ravenloft? Or does it use a totally different theme?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon May 14, 2018 8:55 pm

Have you looked at Curse of Strahd? I haven't run it myself, but I've heard good things about it. I recall seeing a poll where it was voted the best of the 5e adventures, thus far.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

NJMystaraFan
Goblin

Post by NJMystaraFan » Tue May 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:47 pm
Does Pathfinder have a sequel to Mummy's Mask Adventure Path that is any good for Ravenloft? Or does it use a totally different theme?
So far they don't. Mummy's Mask has been fun but it's more of a Tomb Raider feel or the recent Universal Mummy films (not the newest Tom Cruise one), and add a touch of Stargate. Some elements would be cool to pull into Har'Akir and that cluster but for the most part it doesn't have a RL vibe. There's some suggestions for how to continue the campaign in the last booklet, but again it's more of the same and some of the plot ideas are more geared towards their home setting.

NJMystaraFan
Goblin

Post by NJMystaraFan » Tue May 15, 2018 2:48 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:55 pm
Have you looked at Curse of Strahd? I haven't run it myself, but I've heard good things about it. I recall seeing a poll where it was voted the best of the 5e adventures, thus far.
I do own it. I'll admit I've thumbed through it but haven't read it cover to cover like all the old RL stuff I have. It's a good update, taking the best from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft from 3e and meshing a lot of plot ideas. Lots of names and Easter eggs taken from the campaign setting, but some used in different ways. I saw it as more of a frame work on how to build the RL campaign into 5e on your own, since they don't make campaign settings like they used to. Which is what started me thinking of running a full campaign. Between that book and a lot of the DM's Guild material that has come out, converting to 5e won't be a problem. I'm just trying to decide what story I want to tell. My group is pretty good, but 5e is much more survivable than previous editions. It's geared more towards the players. I'll admit I was converting from Pathfinder and the two are very different. In the end, for a full campaign run there was only 1 death, (and the PC was quickly raised again) and only a few times I really knocked them down to near death. It's mostly from my end, but I was learning the new system. I was thinking RL would be a fun alternative, as none of them have ever played in the setting and to have a place where you're usual character options don't always work, would be a fun challenge.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed May 16, 2018 8:00 am

The Grand Conjunction is nice, and should last long enough for a full campaign.
Servants of Darkness, The Shadow Rift and Castles Forlorn form a potentially interesting Celtic-flavored group.
The Evil Eye is almost a campaign on its own.
The Bleak House can be used a the capstone of a more episodic campaign where the PCs are part of the group of people who work alongside Van Richten.

GP

NJMystaraFan
Goblin

Post by NJMystaraFan » Thu May 17, 2018 4:12 pm

agathokles wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:00 am
The Grand Conjunction is nice, and should last long enough for a full campaign.
Servants of Darkness, The Shadow Rift and Castles Forlorn form a potentially interesting Celtic-flavored group.
The Evil Eye is almost a campaign on its own.
The Bleak House can be used a the capstone of a more episodic campaign where the PCs are part of the group of people who work alongside Van Richten.

GP
Yeah the more I think about it, the Grand Conjunction is still the best way to go. I think I'm going to use the original boxed set to start the campaign in 735 BC. I'll re-order the verses as most people do to the hexad and run them in the new order. (Fully tweaked of course). I'm going to actually have one of the very first, or early games be held at one of Azalin's infamous "balls" where Hyskosa will actually be a "guest". (I'm assuming Azalin knows something about the Vistani legends of a Dukkar and he's had his eye on Hyskosa, but nothings really happened yet). Depending on the backgrounds my players choose, I'll have one of them make contact with the seer and somehow that interaction triggers his vision. Azalin will then usher Hyskosa away, claiming he's not feeling well, (but actually putting him in prison so he can study this new prophecy). Of course, this will also put the players on Azalin's radar. Perhaps he bestows gifts on them, (kinda like the bracelet he gave S in the gazetteer series). He may even "hire" them for different missions but in actuality, he's trying to get the party to stir up the prophecies and get them to come true. Using John W. Mangrum's RL timeline, I can follow that and seed in other RL adventures as the years roll by. I'm also thinking of using the Shadowborn family. (This would be good if one of the PC's comes from Darkon, the old memory loss could be used to hide the fact that the players is a Shadowborn heir. They could then have nightmares sort of similar to Alexi's in the book Shadowborn). I'll also flesh out the Dark Tales series of Van Richten short adventures to have the PC's come in contact with him, in case I want to use the Bleak House finale as well. Then we'll just see how far the campaign grows from there. Who knows, maybe if it lasts long enough, we can play into the Death Trilogy as well. (Not my favorite, but I can change it up a bit if and when it comes to that).

On a side note, I'm going to run a 5e version of "Reign of Winter" for the group as well. I was planning as part of that adventure, (since it's very fairy tale oriented), to have one of the stops of the magical hut (don't want to spoil it for anyone), actually be Ravenloft where I was going to incorporate the Servants of Darkness, The Shadow Rift and possibly Castles Forlorn into play. Give it that whole Celtic, fairy tale feel. (Even though the campaign is based more on Russian folklore). I was also thinking of squeezing in Dark of the Moon and possibly a trip to the Frozen Wastes as well. Now it's on to planning a great RL campaign!

Corsair14
Hobgoblin

Post by Corsair14 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:03 pm

I am starting out a campaign based on The Black Crusade beginning at the fall of Jerusalem. Following the Priest and I will have the Mists take everyone at the Grimoire battle at the Altar. And then their long term goal is to recover the Grimoire so that they can get home because a Vistani told them to. In the process they will meet several Dark Lords that also want the Grimoire. Making all non-magic classes and archetypes available to them along with a few of the more non-magical classes from the LOTR 5e rpg just for variety. Of course everyone will start humans. Should go well, I have all the old fluff books as I take them on a tour of fantastic places.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:42 pm

Corsair14 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:03 pm
I am starting out a campaign based on The Black Crusade beginning at the fall of Jerusalem. Following the Priest and I will have the Mists take everyone at the Grimoire battle at the Altar. And then their long term goal is to recover the Grimoire so that they can get home because a Vistani told them to. In the process they will meet several Dark Lords that also want the Grimoire. Making all non-magic classes and archetypes available to them along with a few of the more non-magical classes from the LOTR 5e rpg just for variety. Of course everyone will start humans. Should go well, I have all the old fluff books as I take them on a tour of fantastic places.
Wow, I love this idea.

I would have wanted to base my character on Assassins Creed tho... :D

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:12 am

Corsair14 wrote:
That's a phenomenal idea. ♥

I'd love to read your session logs or watch them if you manage to record/stream them for Twitch/YouTube.
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:13 am

Double post.

Corsair14
Hobgoblin

Post by Corsair14 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:59 pm

Yeah I dont do that. Once the campaign kicks off I might list highlights and such. Never understood recording campaigns on youtube, I dont even like playing in public places lol. Closet nerd was how one of my old group termed it.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:08 pm

Corsair14 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:59 pm
Yeah I dont do that. Once the campaign kicks off I might list highlights and such. Never understood recording campaigns on youtube, I dont even like playing in public places lol. Closet nerd was how one of my old group termed it.
Well, nuts. Sounds like an awesome game. Have fun!

DaveB
Goblin

Post by DaveB » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Corsair14 wrote:
Nice. I dig this set up.
I'm sending mine in as 16th century pirate hunters from a very close version of our earth.
Discovering magic and monsters when they are not from a fantasy world is fantastic with the Ravenloft spin.
I have finger neuropathy so my typing can be frustratingly sloppy. Bear with me.

https://theosrlibrary.blogspot.com

Corsair14
Hobgoblin

Post by Corsair14 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:59 pm

Exactly the feeling I was looking for as well.

Return to “Ravenloft”