Does Mirrorstone's A Practical Guide to Vampires have Ravenloft and Gothic Earth content?

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Does Mirrorstone's A Practical Guide to Vampires have Ravenloft and Gothic Earth content?

Post by Havard »

I ended up buying most of the books in the Practical Guide Series after realizing that they were produced by Wizards of the Coast and did contain fluff related to various D&D game settings even if the books were produced with young readers and non-D&D fans in mind.

While A Practical Guide to Vampires probably isn't too useful for adult Ravenloft Fans, the book does contain some pretty cool illustrations and quite a bit of generic content about Vampires, Werewolves, gargoyles and other monsters as well as magical items.

There are a few pages dedicated to Strahd von Zarovich and Barovia is also mentioned. There are also a few throwaway lines to Vlad the Impaler and th Countess of Bathory, so I guess we can also consider this book linked to Masque of Red Death's Gothic Earth Setting?

Like other books in the series, this book has its own narrator. In this case it is the Vampire Hunter Treval Vorgard. Does anyone know if he is a unique invention for this book (or series) or if he was mentioned elsewhere?

There is also a novel tied in with this book titled Nocturne, which is set in a fantasy environment. I am not sure if this novel is set in Ravenloft, as I am still waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail. More on that book in the thread I linked to earlier.

Has anyone here examined this book more closely? Perhaps there are details that I have missed? Do you think this could enhance your Ravenloft games at all?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Does Mirrorstone's A Practical Guide to Vampires have Ravenloft and Gothic Earth content?

Post by Tim Baker »

I just searched my 4e folder for "Treval" and for "Vorgard," but both searches came up empty. So it's likely that this is a unique invention for the book.

I don't have Nocturne (and hadn't heard of it until now), but am interested to hear more once you receive it. Please keep us posted.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Does Mirrorstone's A Practical Guide to Vampires have Ravenloft and Gothic Earth content?

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:57 pm
I ended up buying most of the books in the Practical Guide Series after realizing that they were produced by Wizards of the Coast and did contain fluff related to various D&D game settings even if the books were produced with young readers and non-D&D fans in mind.

While A Practical Guide to Vampires probably isn't too useful for adult Ravenloft Fans, the book does contain some pretty cool illustrations and quite a bit of generic content about Vampires, Werewolves, gargoyles and other monsters as well as magical items.

There are a few pages dedicated to Strahd von Zarovich and Barovia is also mentioned. There are also a few throwaway lines to Vlad the Impaler and th Countess of Bathory, so I guess we can also consider this book linked to Masque of Red Death's Gothic Earth Setting?

Like other books in the series, this book has its own narrator. In this case it is the Vampire Hunter Treval Vorgard. Does anyone know if he is a unique invention for this book (or series) or if he was mentioned elsewhere?

There is also a novel tied in with this book titled Nocturne, which is set in a fantasy environment. I am not sure if this novel is set in Ravenloft, as I am still waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail. More on that book in the thread I linked to earlier.

Has anyone here examined this book more closely? Perhaps there are details that I have missed? Do you think this could enhance your Ravenloft games at all?
Is there any sort of information about how Treval Vorgard is able to travel to Barovia and the lands of Vlad the Impaler? Or is Treval supposed to be researching this from historical records?

Are any other D&D vampires mentioned (like Sir Fang)?

Nocturne seems to be about an girl who was left on the doorstep of a wizard. There is a preview, but I didn't see Treval Vorgard. I'll be interesting to find out if you actually find him.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:36 am
I just searched my 4e folder for "Treval" and for "Vorgard," but both searches came up empty. So it's likely that this is a unique invention for the book.

I don't have Nocturne (and hadn't heard of it until now), but am interested to hear more once you receive it. Please keep us posted.
Will do!

Hopefully there won't be too much delay in postage due to the current situation.

It makes sense that Treval Vorgard is a unique character created for the book, as I believe the same is true for the Dragonlance Kender who appears in several of the other books in this series.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:21 am
Is there any sort of information about how Treval Vorgard is able to travel to Barovia and the lands of Vlad the Impaler? Or is Treval supposed to be researching this from historical records?
Not that I have been able to find so far. I think it is more of the latter, that he is doing research. I think it would have been outside the scope of the book to go into things like campaign settings and travelling between worlds. But I think it is cool that Barovia and Stahd were mentioned.
Are any other D&D vampires mentioned (like Sir Fang)?
Hah, a reference to Sir Fang would have been amazing. But I am not sure the authors had dug that far into the lore. I am also not sure that WotC own Sir Fang now that I think about it.

But I have mentioned the only named NPCs I was able to find, although I havent studied the book as closely as I have done with some Blackmoor and Mystara material, obviously.
Nocturne seems to be about an girl who was left on the doorstep of a wizard. There is a preview, but I didn't see Treval Vorgard. I'll be interesting to find out if you actually find him.
Yep. I am curious to see if the book is also connected to the Practical Guide to Wizardry actually, due to the things from the preview you refer to. But some of the reviews at Amazon made it clear that this was a fantasy novel, unlike the two "My Life Sucks" novels also from Mirrorstone which feature Vampires on modern day earth, apparently.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Ravenloft”