Ravenloft Boardgame and D&D

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Ravenloft Boardgame and D&D

Post by Havard » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:28 pm

Has anyone played the RL boardgame? What is the general opinion of it?

Is there material there that could be used for a D&D game?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Re: Ravenloft Boardgame and D&D

Post by Bouv » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:52 pm

I enjoy it, it's a good game when you maybe don't have a full crew to play. It's a 4E "lite" style of rules. I'm sure if you looked through the rulebook, you could pull a couple of story ideas out of it but if that's all you want, I wouldn't dish out the $$ for it.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:46 pm

I've seen the box, but not the contents. Does the Ravenloft boardgame have a board and counters that would work as a floorplan (maybe a dungeon) and miniatures in a tabletop game?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

robertneaves
Ogre

Post by robertneaves » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:03 pm

It's a decent cooperative DM-less board game version of D&D (all combat, no roleplay). There are a series of adventures, but there is basically no plot, just go in the dungeon, find right the map tile and fight all the monsters along the way. There are some traps and environment events that might spark some ideas, but I agree don't buy it just as a source of ideas. It has tiles that you use to build the map as you go and a lot of unpainted minis. I've never tried to use the tiles as a map during a game, but I suppose you could, though it probably wouldn't be that great of a map for a normal game, as it's pretty much just hallways of various shapes. I have borrowed some of the minis before though and they work out fine. If you were thinking of getting it just for the minis though, I'd probably get Dungeon Command instead as it's cheaper and the minis are painted. All that said, I do own all three in this series and enjoy the game.

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:26 pm

robertneaves wrote:It's a decent cooperative DM-less board game version of D&D (all combat, no roleplay). There are a series of adventures, but there is basically no plot, just go in the dungeon, find right the map tile and fight all the monsters along the way. There are some traps and environment events that might spark some ideas, but I agree don't buy it just as a source of ideas. It has tiles that you use to build the map as you go and a lot of unpainted minis. I've never tried to use the tiles as a map during a game, but I suppose you could, though it probably wouldn't be that great of a map for a normal game, as it's pretty much just hallways of various shapes. I have borrowed some of the minis before though and they work out fine. If you were thinking of getting it just for the minis though, I'd probably get Dungeon Command instead as it's cheaper and the minis are painted. All that said, I do own all three in this series and enjoy the game.
I agree, a lot of minis that can be used. The story/plot book is pretty bland - "go defeat this monster" or "find this treasure" which is on a special tile mixed into the normal tiles. The tiles are just generic dungeon looking ones with some special ones showing tombs, altars, etc.

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:59 pm

One thing I did do and will continue to do so with this and the other games (Wrath, Legend) is raid them for the minis. For someone who doesn't have a lot of minis, it's a handy resource for me to have.

Return to “Ravenloft”