Worlds of Ravenloft netbook

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Worlds of Ravenloft netbook

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:30 pm

I just stumbled into a blog, called Ravenloft: Midway Haven Observatory, with a download called Worlds of Ravenloft:
Dion at Ravenloft: Midway Haven Observatory wrote:Midway Haven presents: WORLDS OF RAVENLOFT

Explore new domains of dread. Download here:

WORLDS OF RAVENLOFT

At the moment only eight of the twelve domains are available; the last four will be released on 31 December 2012. As always, PLEASE leave comments and suggestions. Thank you very much.
Sadly, the expanded download (with the four extra domains) was not posted. In fact, this is the last post on the blog.

Does anyone know anything about Ravenloft: Midway Haven Observatory or Dion? Has this project migrated somewhere else?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Paladyn
Gnoll

Re: Worlds of Ravenloft netbook

Post by Paladyn » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:09 pm

Dion is one of the Fraternity of Shadows. You can reach hm via PM at Cafe du Nuit (FoS messageboard).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Paladyn wrote:Dion is one of the Fraternity of Shadows. You can reach hm via PM at Cafe du Nuit (FoS messageboard).
Thanks Paladyn. It looks like Dion has logged in a couple of months back. I checked the FoS Library, but did not see this download. I've sent a PM, as you suggested.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 06, 2014 1:23 am

Big Mac wrote:
Paladyn wrote:Dion is one of the Fraternity of Shadows. You can reach hm via PM at Cafe du Nuit (FoS messageboard).
Thanks Paladyn. It looks like Dion has logged in a couple of months back. I checked the FoS Library, but did not see this download. I've sent a PM, as you suggested.
I heard back from Dion. Thanks for the suggestion, Paladyn. :)

He is not actively working on this, at the moment, but two more domains (the African-based one and the Polynesian-based one) are actually finished! :cool:

What a shame they never got posted at the blog!

There are two other domains, based on Norwegian and "Jungian" themes, but they are not quite finished.

I wonder what sort of horror is found in Norwegian culture. :?

Probably something weird like some sort of six armed giant that turns into a wereturtle! :P

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue May 06, 2014 7:23 pm

Big Mac wrote:I wonder what sort of horror is found in Norwegian culture. :?
I'd guess stories based on the fairy tales collected in the 19th Century (though going back centuries). Although often presented as children's tales, these could easily be turned into quite horrific tales with a few twists. The same is true for the fairy tales of other countries of course.
Probably something weird like some sort of six armed giant that turns into a wereturtle! :P
:facepalm: :lol:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Justinov
Stone Giant

Post by Justinov » Tue May 06, 2014 8:07 pm

Great little supplement!
I have once made my own isolated Ravenloft domain, but a series of them together is a nice touch.

For a Norwegian horror theme Ravenloft-style (to tease Havard) it's offcourse a Kjempetroll (Ravenloft version Dovregubben maybe) probably with a lot of normal trolls (called mountain apes -> maybe Ravenloft corrupted Norwegian) as henchmen.......
So when the PC's arrive they are firstly invited (or captured) to dine with Kjempetrollen and then he asks each PC a riddle and if they can't answer it then they change into trolls.
If they PC can answer it correctly they can leave the place.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]

Noxxon
Gnoll

Post by Noxxon » Tue May 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Big Mac wrote:I wonder what sort of horror is found in Norwegian culture. :?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_folklore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norske_Folkeeventyr

Noxxon
You can't get over stupid when you're stuck on dumb.

If 30% of the world's population died today, I would only be 30% happier tomorrow.

MidwayHaven
Goblin

Post by MidwayHaven » Tue May 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Dion here; I'm sorry if I haven't been updating the Midway Haven Observatory blog as often as needed, but life often gets in the way. Also, I'm no longer officially connected to the Fraternity of Shadows.

I'll be posting some of the stuff I left out in the "Worlds of Ravenloft" book on the blog soon. The two domains mentioned are named Mubonyete and Hiva Moruatu (African and Polynesian, respectively). The Norwegian one which is still unfinished is named Valaegir (to say it's Norwegian is perhaps a misnomer on my part; it's more Norse and Viking-themed). The fourth domain is more psychological than geographical, with elements of "The Human Centipede" in it.

I hang out more now in the Legend of the Five Rings (L5R) forums at Alderac.com; Rokugan is becoming my favorite campaign world.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun May 25, 2014 5:19 am

Cool! Will have to check this out when I have enough time to give it a proper read through.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

XstarkillerX
Broccoli Golem

Post by XstarkillerX » Sun May 25, 2014 11:44 am

Hi MidwayHaven! Welcome to the Piazza!
Cool work. I'm looking forward to those extra domains.

Please post an update on this thread when you're finished.
Life won't wait for us, and love won't heal itself. Let's find our way. Descendents, "Without Love"

MidwayHaven
Goblin

Post by MidwayHaven » Mon May 26, 2014 4:30 pm

Thanks for the welcome. ;)

I'll be posting a small announcement about "Worlds of Ravenloft" soon (both here and the MHO blog). I was reading about the San Francisco Earthquake of 1908 recently, and it gave me a big idea.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Justinov wrote:I have once made my own isolated Ravenloft domain, but a series of them together is a nice touch.
Maybe you could write a thread about your domain? Did you ever turn it into anything like the Worlds of Ravenloft netbook?
Justinov wrote:For a Norwegian horror theme Ravenloft-style (to tease Havard) it's offcourse a Kjempetroll (Ravenloft version Dovregubben maybe) probably with a lot of normal trolls (called mountain apes -> maybe Ravenloft corrupted Norwegian) as henchmen.......
So when the PC's arrive they are firstly invited (or captured) to dine with Kjempetrollen and then he asks each PC a riddle and if they can't answer it then they change into trolls.
If they PC can answer it correctly they can leave the place.
Sounds like that could be a bit of a short game. ;) Perhaps they can leave Kjempetrollen's dining hall as trolls or humans, but are still stuck in Ravenloft.
Good links. I wonder if the English translation of Norske Folkeeventyr is public domain. I also wonder if Dion used any of that stuff.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:34 pm

MidwayHaven wrote:Dion here; I'm sorry if I haven't been updating the Midway Haven Observatory blog as often as needed, but life often gets in the way. Also, I'm no longer officially connected to the Fraternity of Shadows.
Thanks for coming over Dion.
MidwayHaven wrote:I'll be posting some of the stuff I left out in the "Worlds of Ravenloft" book on the blog soon. The two domains mentioned are named Mubonyete and Hiva Moruatu (African and Polynesian, respectively).
I wonder how well Mubonyete would work with Nyambe or Aesheba: Greek Africa.

I don't recall seeing any Polynesian campaign settings before. I think that is an underrated part of the world.
MidwayHaven wrote:The Norwegian one which is still unfinished is named Valaegir (to say it's Norwegian is perhaps a misnomer on my part; it's more Norse and Viking-themed).
Oh, well. We had some fun at Havard's expense. ;)

Viking stuff sounds good. Are you going for some sort of alternative-Ragnarök environment where Jörmungandr has transformed a more normal Nordic area into a Ravenloft domain?

I think that Kobold Press might have created the Midgard Campaign Setting after your original download was created. Maybe you should talk to Wolfgang Baur, in case you could turn any Valaegir stuff into something he can incorporate into the Midgard product line and sell commercially. :idea:
MidwayHaven wrote:The fourth domain is more psychological than geographical, with elements of "The Human Centipede" in it.
The Human Centipede! :shock: :o

I've heard about that film, but not actually seen it. I'm not too sure how that might work as a RPG. :?

At least I understand why I couldn't figure out that forth domain before.
MidwayHaven wrote:I hang out more now in the Legend of the Five Rings (L5R) forums at Alderac.com; Rokugan is becoming my favorite campaign world.
The Piazza has been adding bespoke forums for different D&D (and sometimes non-D&D worlds). Rokugan does not have its own forum here yet, but it is discussed in the Oriental Adventures forum, and one day I hope it will get a forum here. We all add a "[Rokugan]" tag to the front of any thread titles and if you want to find them, this special search link for threads with Rokugan in the title will bring up every thread posted here so far.

You might also like Kaidan, a Japanese Horror setting by Michael Tumey.

MidwayHaven
Goblin

Post by MidwayHaven » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:45 am

Dion here again. It seems that interest in "Worlds of Ravenloft" is bigger here than in the "Fraternity of Shadows" website, so here's a treat for the Piazza:

- this includes the four domains I left out of the first "Worlds of Ravenloft" netbook.
- this also includes four new domains, based on a very specific culture (the mockup above may give a hint).
- all domains will use Fifth Edition rules (as suggested by the font I used for the mockup).

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:38 am

MidwayHaven wrote:Dion here again. It seems that interest in "Worlds of Ravenloft" is bigger here than in the "Fraternity of Shadows" website, so here's a treat for the Piazza:

*snip image*
Well. I don't think we'll be able to trust the ground beneath our feet in that domain.
- this includes the four domains I left out of the first "Worlds of Ravenloft" netbook.
Yay!
- this also includes four new domains, based on a very specific culture (the mockup above may give a hint).
Yay!
- all domains will use Fifth Edition rules (as suggested by the font I used for the mockup).
OK. 5e's not my cuppa, but since I don't plan to play 2e or 3.x any time soon, I'd be converting in any case.

Michael Tumey
Bugbear

Post by Michael Tumey » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:50 pm

@Big Mac - Dion of the Fraternity (author of these works) posted an announcement last week at the FoS that he's back on the project with Midway Haven Authority.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Woot!

MidwayHaven
Goblin

Post by MidwayHaven » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:40 am

I'm a bit late with "Worlds of Ravenloft: Decade of Dominion," but here's what to expect from it.

The early 1900's are a fascinating time in world history, most especially for the United States. As an emerging world power that now bears witness to the waning influence of the British Empire, America's first infant steps as an industrial giant is shaking off traditions and welcoming innovations at an unprecedented pace. However, lurking beneath this frenetic upswing, between the dichotomies that mark the triumph of the Victorian Age and the beginning of the tragedies of what would be called The People's Century, the dark powers that have claimed so many realms across so many worlds have their sights set on America.

Four domains have been claimed from the Decade of Dominion.

BAYSIDE: Earthquakes, smoke and distant fires hide a terrible secret that mixes pain and pleasure.
FAIRGROUND: Once your people have been enslaved for the entertainment of your conquerors, you have nothing to lose.
STEELPOINT: The New Colossus marks the end of the great sea voyages, but beneath her gaze the children of the old world continue to suffer.
WHITE BEACH: After the storm and the waves, money still makes the world go round.

WORLDS OF RAVENLOFT 2: DECADE OF DOMINION
21 December 2014

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:06 am

:)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Return to “Ravenloft”