Quoth the Raven # 21

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Quoth the Raven # 21

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:42 am

This is a few months late, but here is the announcement of the latest issue of Quoth the Raven (the Ravenloft fanzine):
Joël of the FoS wrote:Esteemed members of the Fraternity,
Miladies,

We hope that by now you are ready to answer the door, to meet those little boys and girls that will risk to knock your front door, fear in their eyes... Sure, those spells we learned from Madame Croquemitaine will make it different this year. Trick or treat!

Meanwhile, traditions obliged, here is another offering of Quoth the Raven!

This is issue 21!

You will notice big changes. Stephen of the FoS (aka ScS of the FoS) stepped down as editor, and, after what, a mere 20 issues... Really, we thank him for his dedication and time (we know it wasn't always easy with the rest of us moaning in the back). You saw the netbook improve issues after issues, and that is Stephen's work. I'd like to remind everybody that Stephen was there from the beggining of the FoS, first as webmaster, and also as main netbooks engineer.

Really, friend, thank you for this last decade of great netbooks!, congratulations on a job well done!

So for issue 21, we have a new in-house-book-making-sequestered-monk: David (aka Jester) took that monumental task of following Stephen's steps, to make this annual netbook.

Thank you David, really great job !

Also, thanks to all authors, without you, there would be no QtR.

You can get the netbook here.

Enjoy!

Sincerely,

Joël, for everybody at the Souragne Fraternity of Shadows: David, Joël, Leyshon, Nathan, Ron, Sharon and last but not least, Stephen
There are 17 articles in the issue:
  • The Criminal Rings of Nova Vaasa,
  • To Granny’s House,
  • Nora Metzenger,
  • The Missing Piece,
  • Song of the Cypress,
  • Scalies of the Sea of Sorrows,
  • Sennentuntschi,
  • Ol’Reaper,
  • The Eternal Smith,
  • Dark Shadows,
  • Sour Ground,
  • The Clay of Heroes,
  • Mikhail,
  • Heart of the World,
  • The Domain of the Endless Word,
  • Demise and
  • Fey Lost
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

blackaeon
Troll

Re: Quoth the Raven # 21

Post by blackaeon » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:23 pm

There's some really good stuff in here, and some stuff that I'm not entirely fond of, to be honest, so a mixed bag overall. The revisionism of Malken, specifically, stuck in my craw a little, because it completely removes Hireegaard from the history and sort of 'unchains' Malken as far as being a Darklord goes. I'm only about a quarter of the way in now, however.
Mostly a Ravenloft expert, with a good deal of knowledge about Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, and a bunch of non-D&D related games. Also a Hell of a cook.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:29 pm

blackaeon wrote:The revisionism of Malken, specifically, stuck in my craw a little, because it completely removes Hireegaard from the history and sort of 'unchains' Malken as far as being a Darklord goes.
Is there an explanation for why they removed Hireegaard? Is that supposed to be an Alternative History version of Malken?

Is it possible for people to somehow "remove" parts of Ravenloft (perhaps returning stolen parts of the Material Plane back to where they came from)? If someone did that, would the people in Ravenloft notice the changes or would the Mists cause them to forget it was ever there?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

blackaeon
Troll

Post by blackaeon » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:23 pm

Big Mac wrote:Is there an explanation for why they removed Hireegaard? Is that supposed to be an Alternative History version of Malken?

Is it possible for people to somehow "remove" parts of Ravenloft (perhaps returning stolen parts of the Material Plane back to where they came from)? If someone did that, would the people in Ravenloft notice the changes or would the Mists cause them to forget it was ever there?
Other than a blurb in the front portion mentioning revisiting old domains, there wasn't really any explanation as to why Hiregaard isn't in there. I'm not sure whether it was an attempt to place Malken more firmly in the vein of the Vaasan crime lord that he is or not, but it just didn't work for me, although the criminal ring information itself adds a lot of flavor to a Vaasan excursion or even campain for Ravenloft.

Vis a vis removal, I suppose it all depends on who's writing it :) There is, of course, the debate as to whether whole swaths of land are whisked away to Ravenloft from various planes or whether they're created from whole cloth by the Dark Powers, or whether it meets somewhere in the middle. The Grand Conjunction is perhaps the best illustrative of what one could expect if a domain, or even a portion of it, were removed. It'd definitely be fun to play around with.
Mostly a Ravenloft expert, with a good deal of knowledge about Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, and a bunch of non-D&D related games. Also a Hell of a cook.

gonzoron
Kobold

Post by gonzoron » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi There,

This is Gonzoron from over on the Fraternity of Shadows. Glad you're enjoying our netbook! As a bit of explanation, Quoth the Raven accepts articles from our community, and isn't an attempt to form a cohesive canon. Some of the articles are easy drop ins for any Ravenloft campaign. Some are more radical departures to address whatever issues the author might see in the canon material. In the case of the Nova Vaasa article, the author wanted to streamline the cultural references, since all other noble names in the domain are slavic sounding, so Tristen Hiregaard became Dmitri stanov. (clever, I thought). In addition, she felt that for Malken to be the darklord, it made more sense that he started as a real person, rather than a curse, or a fragment of an otherwise "good" person. So, it's a deliberate departure from canon that revises his story completely. Of course, given the multiple published versions of Malken's backstory, it's hard to say what's canon with him anyway. :)

You'll see similar departures in the re-imaginings of Barovia and Pharazia later in the book. (Whereas my own Demise article is meant as an expansion of canon, not a revision, since it will eventually be included in our Sea of Sorrows Gazetteer. Of course, Demise has precious little canon to work with, so it was easy to avoid contradictions there!)

In summary, as with any D&D source, take what you want, drop what you don't like, and feel free to use Rule 0 as needed. Enjoy!

blackaeon
Troll

Post by blackaeon » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:38 am

Hey Gonzoron! I have to say, your Demise article knocked it out of the park. Althea's realm admittedly was pretty bare-bones to start with, and you injected a lot of life into things. Can we possibly hope for Risibilios in the future? The Oubliette, even? :D

gonzoron
Kobold

Post by gonzoron » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:40 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I joined the FoS mainly as the tech guy, not intending to write much. What started as a small sidebar that I warily agreed to write on Demise rapidly spiraled into a full-fledged Gazetteer chapter, and I'm pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. When our Sea of Sorrows Gaz was delayed, I was worried that it wouldn't see the light of day, but we've been "previewing" one domain of the Gaz in each issue of QtR for the past few years, and I was quite excited to take my turn. I'm glad to see people enjoying Demise.

Risibilos was folded into the island of Liffe in... I think Domains of Dread, perhaps? Hence, it was included in our Nocturnal Sea Gazetteer.

Not sure which Oubliette you mean. There are several of them.

Return to “Ravenloft”