[WotC] Cyberpunk Domain-Not "Ravenloft" Enough?

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

[WotC] Cyberpunk Domain-Not "Ravenloft" Enough?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:30 am

This topic is being archived from the Ravenloft forum at Wizards of the Coast, prior to that forum being deleted. It was posted Sep 18, 2008 0:06:13.
leliel wrote:As we all know, Ravenloft is a setting for Gothic horror, and as such, it is usually set within the medieval period, since that is the time we usually think of as "Gothic".

However, it's occurred to me that, when you think about it, cyberpunk is pretty Gothic too. You have your heroes fighting against a seemingly omnipotent and unstoppable foe, and most of the time, you can't "win" so much as "not lose". Add in a few supernatural and horror elements, and you've got yourself a very good Gothic Horror setting-or the World of Darkness, but that's besides the point.

In any case, I realize that my opinion is frequently not the best opinion, so what I'm trying to say is:

In your opinion is it possible to create a cyberpunk or high-tech Island of Terror or cluster within the parameters of Ravenloft, and if so, how?

My way of doing it is to create a basic cyberpunk setting-the big monolithic corporation, the rampant AIs, etc.-add in a supernatural element-the megacorp has demonic soldiers, the AIs become rampant out of a desire for a soul-and my own twist-as you would expect the diector of the megacorporation is the darklord, but so is the leader of the hackers who fight againist him-and we're done.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [WotC] Cyberpunk Domain-Not "Ravenloft" Enough?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:31 am

lwr wrote:I think it can be done, but it would be a really hard work to place it into modern environment. But the idea is good. If you could mix up the tone and flavour of the film Dark City with the Matrix trilogy then you have it.

Social Media

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:32 am

GMforPowergamers wrote:there at one point was a 19th century england setting where jack the ripper was there, and another that was on the orant express. So there is presadent. Go for it, and if it works out good, let us know about it...

Social Media

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:33 am

Luis_Carlos wrote:I think there was a domain of Vechor, the land or Easan the mad.

If you want a land of semi-golem punk-style, then Easan the mad is your elf.

Dr. Victor Moddeheim could be other mad scientific who create "ciborgs" (half-golem, or a new of "living contrutcs" as cylons or warforged from Eberron.

Social Media

Return to “Ravenloft”