[WotC] Ravenloft: Is it the most horrorific place or what?

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

[WotC] Ravenloft: Is it the most horrorific place or what?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:36 am

This topic is being archived from the Ravenloft forum at Wizards of the Coast, prior to that forum being deleted. It was posted Sep 20, 2008 13:53:37.
LadyNeferRa wrote:I really liked Ravenloft, especially because the monsters and challenges can be so diverse. But I haven't seen a lot of Forgotten Realms, Kara-Tur, Spelljammer or any other stuff - module or book wise.

Do any of these or any other places compare well with Ravenloft's horror? From what little I have read, it seems most of the horror in other realms will be within society, and not so much leaking out of the roofs and foundations of the world.

Just lookin' for your $.02, thank you.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [WotC] Ravenloft: Is it the most horrorific place or wha

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:37 am

deama wrote:No work is.... ok joking aside as far as horror based gaming goes if you want something more horrific then Ravenloft you wont get it from a DnD based game. so of DnD based Ravenloft is a nasty place to go even though it is only a Demi-plane

Social Media

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:37 am

The_Jester wrote:You can have horrifying games set anywhere. That's a mood that can be added to almost any game or world.
But fantasy-horror is Ravenloft's schtick, so most of the other settings stayed away from that to avoid overlap and toe-stepping.

There are some pretty scary places and nasty Big Bad Evil Guys in other settings (the Forgotten Realms is famous for some of its villains) but few worlds have the same quantity of pure horror and nasty characters.

Social Media

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:39 am

rotipher wrote:Moreover, none of the other worlds go as far as Ravenloft does, in providing an ideal environment for horror scenarios. Curses and the corruptive effects of evil deeds are incorporated into the RL setting's game-mechanics, and many spells are altered within the Land of Mists, to eliminate deus-ex-machina solutions to enigmas and to deny heroes an easy escape-route from peril.

In other settings, horror scenarios are more difficult to run, as you need to find excuses to circumvent potential spoilers that the Ravenloft setting nullifies automatically (e.g. the villain who's deceiving the heroes must hide his vampirism from undead-detecting spells with a counter-effect at all times). Too much of that, and your players'll get frustrated that their hard-earned abilities aren't working as they ought to, and may blame you for being an unfair DM.

Social Media

Return to “Ravenloft”